Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2008, 10:19 AM   #1

can you sleep in a 5er while your partner is driving,
halfhitch05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 11:56 AM   #2

I wouldn't do it because of the safety aspect, however I do not know if it is legal or not.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
First, welcome to iRV2. We're glad to have you with us.

HERE is one of the threads I found using the Find function where this topic is discussed.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
To summarize, a few states allow a 5er to be occupied, provided there is a form of verbal communication with the driver and the occupants in the 5er..

Having ridden a short distance across a parking lot at low speed, there is no way that I would ride in the trailer at road speeds. the other issue is safety of the occupants in the trailer. They are not built to any safety standards for crash or roll over.

And a big welcome to iRV2.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:59 PM   #5

Sleep in a 5er enroute? You'll be lucky to keep your last meal down. Crash protection- roll up in the mattress is it. While some states allow passengers in a 5er or TT while moving it's not sane in my opinion. See towing laws for states for more information. You must contact each state for up-to-date laws though.
Welcome to the "club"/ extended RVing family!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM   #6

Legal or not, I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:06 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rjf7g:
My feelings exactly!!!

As an experiment, get in the back of your fifth wheel and have your partner drive it around the block. See if you'd REALLY want to ride back there when it's moving down the road at speed.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #8

I think that some states that say it's allowed also specify that the occupied part of the trailer has to have certified automotive safety glass... which I don't think any of them do.

Anyway, I'll third
Quote:
IMHO a person riding back there could easly be badly hurt or killed in an accident that would otherwise have been a non-injury fender bender. Even a panic stop would toss a person around, and there are hard surfaces and sharp corners everywhere...

And, although 3 people have already said it, welcome to the forums. There are a lot of experts here who happily help with any question a person could have.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #9

I would not put anyone I love, to ride in 5th wheel, while moving down the road. It is not safe.
Most do have safety glass but they are flimsy and do not hold up in an accident.

5500 Dodge 2 ton
Dusty2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #10

While I wouldn't do it, as others have stated it might be a wild ride, it is ok in some states.

I know of at least one person who wouldn't recommend it, he posted in TDR here.

2001½ QC Dodge CTD, 4x4, auto, short box, Stull running boards, SS bug deflectors. Husky 5er slider hitch.
jefff929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:05 PM   #11

As much as the stuff in my car goes flying when I have to slam on my brakes, I don't want to have a body in any vehicle without a seat belt.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #12

Thanks for posting the link Jeff. A picture is worth a thousand words, so goes the saying, and it's true. There are two different incidents in that thread.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Welcome halfhitch05. You have a good question and many people, especially new owners ask it. But as you can tell from people who posted here, it's not a good idea. Safety of course being the most prevalent reason even in states where it is allowed. Either stop for a rest or the passenger should nap while driving.
Happy camping.