Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

5er that has sat on lot for 18 months?

I'm looking at a 2012 Cameo to purchase, and I've been very happy with the floor plan, the price, and the quality. I asked the dealer when it was built and when he received the unit. It was built and shipped to him in August 2011. So it has sat on his lot for 18 months. What should I look for as I check the unit out before finalizing purchase? Seals around the slides? Caulking seams? Any other items to be concerned about? Thanks in advance.
Pigdoc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would take a look at the date codes on the tires.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #3

The axle bearings require re-packing too. I suggest using this checklist for buying an RV as a guide. Sitting for 18 months is harder on an RV than using one. (IMO)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

xxx2 with Ray,in
I would go thru everything with a fine tooth comb because its like they say hind site is 20/20.It is better to know what is wrong before you leave the lot.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Travels.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would look at the great deal you're going to get --- what 45% off msrp ?!?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

Make sure the dealer does a complete detail on the outside starting with the roof. That is a full day or more if you have to do it yourself. And check their work. I purchased my Cardinal out of state and had it delivered and was told it looked brand new. The only sign that someone was on the roof was the greasy hiking boot tracks of the guy that ran wire through the roof for the wiring that I requested for my solar install!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #7

We bought ours as a left over almost a year on the lot. No age problems other then tires. We figured it was an ordered unit not purchased due to odd reason because it had dual pane windows and manual awning. It fit our exact needs and since we buy for keeps the price was great due to an assumed deposit. The windows and manual awnings get a bad rap by salesmen but we surely benefitted by it. We love our unit and cannot see any better.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would check to see if it had a battery installed while on the lot. If so- it probably sat with less than a full charge. I'd ask for a new one. Here's more in case you need it:

RV Checklists
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
I would check to see if it had a battery installed while on the lot. If so- it probably sat with less than a full charge. I'd ask for a new one.
X2
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #10

I'm not sure where you are located, but you want to watch for weather damage. We bought a 2 year old, new 5th wheel from a dealer in the CA desert, so it was exposed to very high temps for 2 summers with minimal care. We found several heat related problems, including dried and brittle plastic latches, cracked wheel covers, wallpaper borders coming loose, and cracked outside decals. Nothing major, just minor inconveniences. The dealer was really good about making all repairs under warranty, except the decals, which are out of stock.

Overall, we are happy with our purchase. We saved a bundle over new, but still got the factory warranty. Be sure you will get the full factory warranty. Oh yeah, we also got a new battery. The tires are 2 years old, but that is no different than if we bought a 2 year old used rig with no warranty.

Jerry
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshall View Post
I'm not sure where you are located, but you want to watch for weather damage. We bought a 2 year old, new 5th wheel from a dealer in the CA desert, so it was exposed to very high temps for 2 summers with minimal care. We found several heat related problems, including dried and brittle plastic latches, cracked wheel covers, wallpaper borders coming loose, and cracked outside decals. Nothing major, just minor inconveniences. The dealer was really good about making all repairs under warranty, except the decals, which are out of stock.

Overall, we are happy with our purchase. We saved a bundle over new, but still got the factory warranty. Be sure you will get the full factory warranty. Oh yeah, we also got a new battery. The tires are 2 years old, but that is no different than if we bought a 2 year old used rig with no warranty.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry, the unit is in southern MN. Not too much hot weather up there. No factory warranty since it is an orphan, but dealer giving 4 year extended warranty from Interstate National. I checked with local dealer and they are familiar with it and will honor it.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #12

We have bought 2 units that had sat on the lot for a year or more. It's a great way to get a low price...

The first one (27' Fleetwood TT) had had a leak in the roof fridge vent that caused water damage and quite a bit of mold growth that couldn't be seen unless you got on your hands and knees with a flash light and looked in behind the cabinets. We did not see it until after we had moved into the rig. The dealer was incredibly honest and upstanding, and they took the unit back and gave us an exact replacement that had just come from the factory the week before -- same awesome price as the one that had sat around... so that was pure luck, both in finding the problem before we had driven too far away and in having a dealership that was willing to take responsibility...

The other unit (34' Hitchhiker Fifth Wheel - our current unit) didn't have any problems despite being on the lot for a year. It may have been housed indoors for a while - not sure...

Groovy is offline   Reply With Quote