RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #43

I don't understand the fascination of running things like tires and trucks at 75-80% rated load. You think anyone commerical does that? Hint: they don't. Waste of money and capability.
Do it if it makes you feel better - but don't pretend it makes sense. Because it doesn't. Financially or otherwise.

Tires are designed to be run at 100% of their load rating at their rated speed. Not occasionally. Not rarely. Every damn mile.

Now that said - I run Chinese tires and have never had a problem with them - granted we've only done about 30k miles in the last two years....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #44

Sounds like you are over due for a blow out! Keep both hands on the steering wheel and drive safe.

grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #45

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
I don't understand the fascination of running things like tires and trucks at 75-80% rated load. You think anyone commerical does that? Hint: they don't. Waste of money and capability.
Do it if it makes you feel better - but don't pretend it makes sense. Because it doesn't. Financially or otherwise.

Tires are designed to be run at 100% of their load rating at their rated speed. Not occasionally. Not rarely. Every damn mile.

Now that said - I run Chinese tires and have never had a problem with them - granted we've only done about 30k miles in the last two years....
On the tow vehicle it makes a big difference.I tow with dually have 4,200 on the pin.load rated e tires set at 80psi.Now unhook and run 80 psi and you will wear center of tread off.Air down to 60 psi when unhooked,if driving substantial miles unhooked.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:58 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42willys View Post
On the tow vehicle it makes a big difference.I tow with dually have 4,200 on the pin.load rated e tires set at 80psi.Now unhook and run 80 psi and you will wear center of tread off. Air down to 60 psi when unhooked, if driving substantial miles unhooked.
Is that in accordance with the recommendations in the vehicle owner's manual or just a (IYO) personal or from your personal experience recommendation?
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Is that in accordance with the recommendations in the vehicle owner's manual or just a (IYO) personal or from your personal experience recommendation?
It is from my experience,last set of tires I wore the center off.My tire dealer told me to air down when unhooked.Just put 4 new transforce tires on and will air down if driving extended miles unhooked. I have onboard air.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42willys View Post
On the tow vehicle it makes a big difference.I tow with dually have 4,200 on the pin.load rated e tires set at 80psi.Now unhook and run 80 psi and you will wear center of tread off.Air down to 60 psi when unhooked,if driving substantial miles unhooked.

Check your drivers door sticker, your dually probably suggest 65 psi for unloaded tires.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:24 AM   #49

5er Tire Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Check your drivers door sticker, your dually probably suggest 65 psi for unloaded tires.

Interestly, way off on mine(see below) but shows 65 loaded—and sorry to OP for continuing off topic- even as full timers, I tow heavy 40% of the time...I’ve been seeing more wear in the middle of my Transforce E outer dually tires (than my inners—slightly newer) even at 60 psi for all four. So I aired down to 55 two or three mos ago (temp in 80s) and they since permeated down to 50 at 58 degrees when I checked right before this MI trip. I don’t use valve stem extenders as an easy back n forth solution. But with TPMS sensors attached, they have been known to leak. I’ve had great service from the rear tires so far @ 57k miles.

Here’s my two door and door post inflation stickersClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2627.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	218719Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2628.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	218720

and 5er
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2632.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	477.7 KB
ID:	218721
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
Have a 2018 Cedar Creek 29 ik, measured weight 12,000 pounds. Came with Constancy tires, load range E, and has 6,000 axles. No issues, but after 8,000 miles this year decided to upgrade the tires. Wheels are 16 6.

Want to buy Sailun 235/80 16 load range g tires. Need to upgrade the wheels to handle the 110 psi tires.

I can't find a Sailun load range chart anywhere. Dealer is saying run 85 psi, I'm thinking 105. Both are guesses. I know I'll be a little rough inside with the increased pressure, but want plenty of capacity/safety.

Anyone seen a Sailun capacity chart, what would you recommend?
I use the same Sailun's. 105 is what my dealer recommended. I think you can find a chart or at least the info you need at www.simpletire.com, the online dealer for the Sailun brand.
Tonysolitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #51

"Came with Constancy tires, load range E, and has 6,000 axles"

That's a whole lot of axles.😁😁
Badbrad1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 PM   #52

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Even with my overrated G tires, I still had 2 blowouts last year on the FW. I don't ride in our camper, but everything seems to ride good except when a tire blows and things get rearranged. Sailuns are only about $140/ea so not too expensive.

Were your "blowouts"
Belt separations or were they sidewall flex failures.

Have you read THIS post?
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 PM   #53

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskyward View Post
Interestly, way off on mine(see below) but shows 65 loaded—and sorry to OP for continuing off topic- even as full timers, I tow heavy 40% of the time...I’ve been seeing more wear in the middle of my Transforce E outer dually tires (than my inners—slightly newer) even at 60 psi for all four. So I aired down to 55 two or three mos ago (temp in 80s) and they since permeated down to 50 at 58 degrees when I checked right before this MI trip. I don’t use valve stem extenders as an easy back n forth solution. But with TPMS sensors attached, they have been known to leak. I’ve had great service from the rear tires so far @ 57k miles.

Here’s my two door and door post inflation stickersAttachment 218719Attachment 218720

and 5er
Attachment 218721

Are you mixing new & old tires in a pair of duals? If so that is asking for problems unless you have confirmed the OC is within 3/4" or less.

You can learn more by reviewing the posts on "Duals" on my blog.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 AM   #54

Commercial Member

Sailun does not publish tables only the tire max load. They say to follow Tire & Rim tables. They do have some high load tires for trailers HERE. You will have to do some checking to find a US distributor. Note I have found some inconsistencies in their data so be sure to confirm with the dealer before spending the $.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Are you mixing new & old tires in a pair of duals? If so that is asking for problems unless you have confirmed the OC is within 3/4" or less.

You can learn more by reviewing the posts on "Duals" on my blog.

I put identical new tires on the inside dually 1000 miles after I bought it used. They were definitely mismatched when bought, see photo below. The dealer or previous owner put 4 new Transforce (fronts and rear outers) I’d estimate within 500 miles as I still could see the little nubs on the tread. At some point the rear tires(inner or outer) had a failure as there was damage to both fender well liners and metal frame support rods. All fixed now.

Here is an ad photoClick image for larger version

Name:	YQ_800.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	218951
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #56

[QUOTE=Tireman9;4400197]Were your "blowouts"
Belt separations or were they sidewall flex failures.

I took a picture of the one trailer tire for Discount Tire replacement claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire2.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	218958   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire3.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	218959