Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #15

Having had both, either one will do fine. I agree with the above post if lots of driving is the goal DP has slight advantage as everything can be done while en route. If you like to set up base camp and go exploring a dually truck is easy to get around in. Neither to me is easier to make and break camp, 5th wheels are easy to hookup as a toad.
RBabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #16

We are full-timing with a 5th wheel.We’re on our second 5th wheel due to the desire for a 2nd bathroom/toilet in the coach.As far as accessing the refrigerator and the toilet with the slides in, our previous unit, a 3455 Big Horn worked fine for us while on the road.We were able to stop at rest stops and use the toilet, the refrigerator and rest on the bed without any difficulty.Our current unit, a 43-foot Dynamax Tiology has 2 bathrooms so as to allow using the lower level toilet without climbing stairs every time there’s a need.Two toilets also help out when the DW has captivated the forward bathroom for an hour or two leaving me with the lower toilet; this scenario helps tremendously as a person ages.
We did look a few MH’s over prior to buying the new 5’er and TV, but we weren’t finding the space we wanted in a MH.When traveling, we like to stop a freeway rest areas and relax for a while. As mentioned previously, the refer, the toilet and the bed are all available to us during freeway stops.We enjoy the space we have and feel the coach is quite comfortable.I would advise that a heat pump is a good addition.We are using it here in Washington state in March through June and we used it in Arizona in December through March.You can hear the furnaces kicking on and off on all of the rigs around us.Many RV owners will have propane companies come in and install large propane tanks to run their furnace on if parking for an extended period.
Regarding getting around town with a dually TV, I initially felt a little concerned when we had a SRW, but when we decided on the new 5’er that we now have, this mandated a dually to tow with, and I’m driving around Seattle streets without any difficulty.We do park a little further away from the front of a store when we go into a shopping area.The exercise is good for us though.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For snowbirding and sitting for 5-6 months I'd go with a 5th wheel. If actually traveling for months at a time I'd take a MH (and we did).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:19 AM   #18
IC2

One set of considerations that may (or may not in the OPs case) have a bearing on the final decision and need to be taken into account are the costs of ownership. These include purchase costs for the MH/5er/truck/toad, insurances, payments if money has been borrowed, registration, travel expenses, depreciation and finally maintenance.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:08 AM   #19

Its not a question of which is better, its a question of which setup you prefer. There are many thousands of fulltimers using a 5'er and many thousands more using a MH, and they're all happy with their choice. There are thousands of owners each year who switch from a 5'er to a MH, and vice versa. I have one of each and they each have pros/cons. I use my big 5th wheel when I go south for winter and sit in one spot for months. I use my class A MH in the summer when I stay on the move.
The only mistake you can make is basing your decision on someone else's preferences, instead of your own.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote