Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
5th Reese slider

A friend is looking at buying a Reese slider it has a round tube slider, verses a square tube what is the differents? good or bad? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
A friend is looking at buying a Reese slider it has a round tube slider, verses a square tube what is the differents? good or bad? Thanks
It's part of the newer technology from Reese and is on the latest style of their hitches. As to the rails themselves they are designed to operate smoother that the square type railsI just went thru this with my new Reese hitch and had some of the same questions. The hitch itself has some newer controls for locking, adjusting and the overall operation.

Dick

Old 11-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the reply! he did buy it, I did the install, but I don't think he has used it yet.
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

The difference is: the square tube slider doesn't work while the round tube does! I had a square tube slider and worked my butt off to get it to slide...you could move it with one finger, but once the weight of the trailer was on it, no slide.

I'm glad he picked the right one...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
The difference is: the square tube slider doesn't work while the round tube does! I had a square tube slider and worked my butt off to get it to slide...you could move it with one finger, but once the weight of the trailer was on it, no slide.

Tim
There are several with tube slides. Here is a photo of the one I have

Old 11-06-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

My old '97 16K Reese square tube slider works like a hot knife through butter with any load and at any angle with my 11200 Lb 5er.
I bought it new and didn't want to slide without dumping the clutch on the Cummins. I disassembled it completely and lubed all the rollers. I keep it lubed with a silicone spary.

IMO the round tube looks like a better idea but with with over 200k miles on this hitch on two different RVs and two LD 5th wheel equipment trailers up to 16k I can't complain.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
My old '97 16K Reese square tube slider works like a hot knife through butter with any load and at any angle with my 11200 Lb 5er.
I bought it new and didn't want to slide without dumping the clutch on the Cummins. I disassembled it completely and lubed all the rollers. I keep it lubed with a silicone spary.

IMO the round tube looks like a better idea but with with over 200k miles on this hitch on two different RVs and two LD 5th wheel equipment trailers up to 16k I can't complain.
Maybe the real reason that Reese came out with the new slide is the fact that they know most people do not properly care for their hitch and were trying to make it bullet proof. But as you say, not unlike any piece of equipment, if you care for it in the right way it works just fine.

Over the years I have noticed many hitches that look like they have been thru a war rode hard and put away wet. Hitch maintenance does not seem to be a top priority
Old 11-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post

Tim
Tim,
I have the rectangle tubes on my Reese slider and I have never had any issues with the unit not sliding. I do lube the rails and roller plus all of the working components twice a season with a dry lube. Plus the jaws are greased along with the King Pin on the 5er. I have had this same hitch since 07 and plan on using this hitch for many many more years to come. It is cheaper to buy lube and grease than a new hitch in my opinion.

Jim W.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #9

Tell your friend to look elsewhere. Reese is not the quality it once was. Auto slide I would look at PullRite and standard slide B&W.

Tags
slide