RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #1

5th to Truck Camper

Yes I am aware this is the 5th wheel forum - I hang out here most often.
Anyone moved from a 5th to a truck camper or vis versa?

We are heavily considering it - we are struggling with the point of a 32' 16k 5th wheel for 2 people for a weekend or even week long trips at this point.
The DW feels a little hog tied by the size when thinking about boondocking, and we were annoyed this summer trying to find a reservation for just a weekend, though we did make it out 5 weekends.

We are starting to think about moving to a truck camper - still most of the comforts, but MUCH easier to just 'jet' from the City on a Friday night and find a forest road to hang out by. Still have the shower and toilet....I dont think I'll get the DW to ever tent camp again.

We have the truck for it....I've found a nice 2015 Palomino unit for $15k used at a dealer, and they would be willing to trade in our Alfa for it too, which I am beginning to think may be a good deal - The Alfa has quite a lot of maintenance due - tires are about aged out, we have a rotted area by the ladder, generator door needs replacing, carpet is pretty stained, though we did just put $2k into the axles and brakes...

This would also solve my "how to tow the boat" problem.
Thoughts? Anyone else gone either way?

mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #2

Interested to hear any experiences. We're considering parking the 5th wheel long-term to live in and buying a truck camper to travel. Wife doesn't like the idea of a truck camper, but hasn't been in a modern one either. Yet.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
Yes I am aware this is the 5th wheel forum - I hang out here most often.
Anyone moved from a 5th to a truck camper or vis versa?

We are heavily considering it - we are struggling with the point of a 32' 16k 5th wheel for 2 people for a weekend or even week long trips at this point.
The DW feels a little hog tied by the size when thinking about boondocking, and we were annoyed this summer trying to find a reservation for just a weekend, though we did make it out 5 weekends.

We are starting to think about moving to a truck camper - still most of the comforts, but MUCH easier to just 'jet' from the City on a Friday night and find a forest road to hang out by. Still have the shower and toilet....I dont think I'll get the DW to ever tent camp again.

We have the truck for it....I've found a nice 2015 Palomino unit for $15k used at a dealer, and they would be willing to trade in our Alfa for it too, which I am beginning to think may be a good deal - The Alfa has quite a lot of maintenance due - tires are about aged out, we have a rotted area by the ladder, generator door needs replacing, carpet is pretty stained, though we did just put $2k into the axles and brakes...

This would also solve my "how to tow the boat" problem.
Thoughts? Anyone else gone either way?
I've never had a camper box nor would I want one, but that's a personal preference. I HAVE worked on a F-350 with a heavy camper box. It does wreak havoc on suspension and front end parts. Front end parts you say? Yeah, each time you break a lot of high-centered weight gets transferred to the front axle. I didn't care for the top-heavy feel, bouncy front end at each brake event (yes, even with good shocks), wind noises and I'm really not crazy about cramped quarters and a real small bathroom.

Most of the F350 (duallies even) I've seen appear to need some sort of suspension enancement when loaded heavy.

I hope you find what suits you.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #4

It all depends on you and the wife, what suits you, and what you enjoy doing. My younger years, situation and moves resulted in many different RVís, to include going from an old Winnebago class A to a truck camper. Suite my wife and I beautifully at the time, as off the beaten track camping was our thing, and staying at the campsite was how it generally worked out.

The last 15 years, different wife, different preferences. Now retired, able to stay awhile, base camp in one place for a week or two, but venture out most days for adventure depending on where we are. Need a camper and vehicle as packing up to go anywhere gets old, prefer the much larger tanks and conveniences, and most importantly, the wife goes crazy in small RVs quite rapidly. For me, camper works great for remote destination camping, and not ideal, but workable for other areas. Wife however is go fairly big or go home, so my choice was easy. You have to find the compromises that work for both of you.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #5

First thing you will find is the outrageous prices for truck campers. Do they work for a lotmof folks? Must be there sure a lot of them sold. Seems many truck camper folks have the camper so they can tow a boat, motorcycles or other off road toys and use them mainly for sleeping.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have both a fifth wheel and a camper. Had the camper for 10 years and decided to get a fiver, DW said keep the camper "you never know" . Guess what, we bought a boat and now use both. The biggest difference is the intimacy of the TC, a lot tighter than the fiver. TC has a much smaller bathroom and you climb into the bed. As far as extra wear from hauling a TC, never had any issues on our truck that could be attributed to a TC. If we had to make a choice between the 2, the Fiver would win.

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #7

Thanks guys - just for some back ground we full timed in our 32' Alfa for 2.5 years, and have since bought a house - now that we are just weekenders, it seems like the Alfa is a lot of RV for 2 people.

We also like boondocking more then RV parks (lots of solar on our Alfa) and I like dirt forest roads. I also LOVE Jeep trails but I expect not a ton of that would happen in a loaded down F-350. Finally - would work with a boat and snow mobile.

What I don't want to do is sell our very solid, heavy, well build 5th wheel and immediately regret it LOL. I suppose I could keep both but there is a parking consideration as well at work here, where the 5th wheel is preventing from building a "back yard" Garage due to the narrowness of my side yard. I think I could drive around the Truck Camper...
The fact that with a trade in - I think I could get the TC for under $6k is pretty appealing as well....
Surprisingly, the lady is the one pushing for the TC...
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #8

I know some companies make different levels of campers from cheap to more expensive and I don't know which one you're looking at but I have a Palomino Bronco pop up slide in camper that I use in the summer to run around the Colorado mountains and it is without a doubt the worst put together camper I've ever seen.

These problems may not affect the one you're looking at but it might give you something to think about.

The entire camper is made out of waferboard with fiberglass glued to the outside, I haven't found a single piece of plywood in the entire camper. Waferboard is not designed to get wet, but as we all know RVs tend to leak a little here and there and are going to get wet sooner or later, waferboard dissolves very quickly under those conditions.

Places where wires pass through wood the ragged holes were beaten through the wood with a hammer.

Very little insulation.

Razor sharp corners everywhere in the camper and around the aluminum in the door.

Foam pads that make up the "sofa" are not furniture grade foam so you sink down to the base boards as soon as you sit on it.

There's more but I think you get the picture, it's built quickly and apparently with the cheapest materials money can buy. But on the other hand they cost about half as much is something like a Hallmark slide in camper. I got a great deal on mine so if it falls apart I'll just get something else.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:42 PM   #9

Had the time of my life in an Arctic Fox camper. Camped in the winter (not North Dakota), went to remote areas, parked in tight spots.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
IC2

We 'dropped out' of 5er RVing for a few years then got back in with a truck camper to see if we were still going to have as much fun. Yes, we did have as much enjoyment but that TC - well let's say that I'm 6'4" tall and 200+/- pounds. Not huge but after getting kinda stuck in the bathroom doorway. Then my wife, being who she is, has to get up a couple times over night from that overhead bunk as I do, getting older. We found a nice TT then moved back up to a 5er.

NO, I will NOT move back though did see a huge Lance this past summer with slides that might work. Then there is the need to take your RV with you or remove it if you want to go touring. It isn't quite as easy as unhooking a 5er to wander through narrow town streets, at least here in the East.

A smaller TT might be a better choice, at least for us
Old 10-08-2019, 10:59 AM   #11

A class B or smaller class C would be my choice for down sizing.
Any decent size slide in camper is going to require a big truck. The handle terrible and have very small tank capacities.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #12

We have done both the camper as well as Fivers.

If you get a Camper strongly consider a Lance. If you buy lightly used it will be the least deprecating RV you ever own.

We even looked at the big Lance 1172 when shopping toy haulers last time. Strongly considered it but the climbing in and out of bed was one big negative for the wife as we did that for several years in the last Lance.

Ultimately we decided not to go that route. Truck camper have a lot of positives. The negatives are lack of storage and space. We found it to not be a great “jump in and go” RV as you have to carefully pack and unpack since there is zero extra room for items you don’t absolutely need on a particular trip. Our fiver sits packed with clothes and toys for both skiing as well as summer beach trips. Not happening in a truck camper. Tanks are small so connections are much more important. One navy shower and the grey is full.

They are no narrower than a trailer when stowed and also need a drw one ton with air bags to haul comfortably.

That said we can still name a ton of reasons to get one. Every RV has some compromises-that’s why we really need 3 of them
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:25 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
We have thought the same thing. We love our fiver and it's a good one.
Finally got to see a Host Mammoth. It was awesome! The dry weight as optioned was 5100 lbs. Our 2018 GM Duramax drw has a payload shy of 5k lbs and a sticker in the glove box of camper weight of 3900 lbs.
So assuming we kept the current truck, it would involve obvious mods which I'm no comfortable with. We're keeping the big pig fiver.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Have a look at the host cascade, that is a great floor plan. I might not have bought a fiver if they had that plan out earlier,

Tried being normal once, worst 2 minutes of my life!
Rickeoni is offline   Reply With Quote