Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 08:12 PM   #1

5th Wheel AC Units - Experts/Do-It-Yourselfers weigh in.

Looking for advice on what to inspect and service on my AC units. I have two units, both I believe are dometics. The main unit is a 15k unit, whisper quiet, and the secondary unit is a 13.5k unit standard through the roof dometic.

My problem is that the main unit does not seem to get the unit to cooling temperature. It runs, cycles through on/off on its own. We are not experiencing very hot temperatures now, mid 80's, and I have the unit set to cool to around 72 degrees... It never gets it to that temperature... even when I wake up in the am and it is 66 degrees outside, the inside temp maybe around 76 or so. It's going to be getting ALOT hotter, so I will need to make sure the unit is up to par. The secondary unit seems to run fine and is able to cool the zone it is set for. I did notice that when the main unit shuts off for a brief period that it releases water (condensation I am guessing) and then it cycles back on. The units are 3 years old. No idea of the service history. I am guessing not much based on the cleanliness of the roof.

As a do-it-yourselfer, what should I be looking for to service the unit? Is there a manual that you can link or a youtube video? Are there any specialty tools that I should have to do this?

Expert and do-it-yourself advice requested. Replys to take to dealer are not needed.

Thank you in advance!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 01:23 AM   #2

Nice 5’er by the way!

http://dometic3frontend.qbank.se/epi...c211da7d83.pdf

There may not be a service manual exactly as this is not usually a user serviceable type device. Most of these units run trouble free for many yrs.

Let’s ask a couple more basic questions for all?

Are both units ducted?

Have you checked and cleaned both units inside air filters? Most issues are air flow related. Clean or replace the filters bi-monthly during heavy use.

Although unit “A” and “B” may have slightly different BTU outputs They should have similar air flow out of the registers. Check for air flow inconsistencies. Insure all of the vents are unobstructed, and adjusted properly.

I’ve heard of the return/supply divider plate not being installed properly, or becoming dislodged on RVs. This causes the air to short loop in the plenum.

Acquire a small thermometer (Harbor Freight) for about $6 and check the return air temp and the discharge air temp at a register for an indication of the Delta T on both units. Inside and out, this gives you a base line when operating properly

While cleaning that dirty roof annually you can insure there is no debris near or around the A/C units. Use a stream of clean water on the outdoor coil while the unit is off to insure there is no dust or dirt build up on the condenser fan coils.

Be safe up there.

MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #3

MOST...of ac issues I see, which is other people in the park complaining about their ac when ours is ice cold, is almost always cause by a bad electrical connection. Bad connects run hot and draw more amps, which make the connections even worse. So a good preventative ac thing would be to check all connections. With it all unplugged of course. The plug on the park post take alot of abuse. I've seen issues caused by that. We've had some ourselves. If there is a 50 amp plug available, I try to use it first, with a 50 to 30 adapter. Ours is a 30 amp and where we go, we see very little 50 amp rigs, so the 50 amps plugs are usually in better shape than the 30's. A small wire brush to polish your plug terminals can go a long way.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Good input. Thank you.

The main unit (15k) is ducted throughout the coach. I can feel air coming out of every register when it is on, but it's doesn't blow out very strong. The secondary unit is the bedroom and it only blows (from what I can tell) out the AC unit itself from where it comes through the roof.

Cleaning the air filters is first on my list. Haven't done it yet. I'll pick up a digital thermometer to check temps - thanks for that.

I am plugged into 50amp service, so I will double check the connection and make sure the plug terminals are clean.

Thank you.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

When your AC is running, use the thermometer mentioned to check for indoor temps and then at the discharge of the AC. Normally, the delta should be around 18-20d. It probably would never be more than 20.
Cycling on/off to me indicates 'freezing up' that normally happens in high humidity conditions, or low freon.
Get a good idea of what the temps in/out are, and then if it isn't cooling right, not much to do but call a tech--can't service them above what MtnTrek mentioned.
I have 2 Dometic 15ks, and both are doing well at 11 years.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

On our TT the air didn't blow very hard out of the ducts. We asked the dealer about it, because on our 5'er, it does. Both ceiling ducted. Said that was normal. Naaa. I got to looking at it. The duct box isn't very deep. The round plastic "grills" everywhere were long enough to almost touch the top of the inside of the duct, with hardly any room to let the air out of them. I measured twice, then trimmed them. Just simple tin snips will do it. Just plastic. On the outlet for the air on either end of the duct, I only trimmed half of it, so it will act like a scoop of sorts. Now, the air blows strong out of every hole. Won't cost you anything to check on that.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

I'll throw in an opinion even though it's probably not very likely since it's ducted through the roof. Ever had an issue with mice in the camper? I had to change out a heat duct this past year due to mice chewing holes in it. The first thing I noticed was the front of the 5er wasn't staying as warm as I thought it should. Like I say...I doubt that's your issue but maybe just something to check. It make sense that the longer runs from the ac won't have as much airflow as the shorter runs but maybe make sure there's at least a decent flow coming out of them or what you might expect out of them. After that just make sure your filter is clean.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

I also remember that once I took down the first vent, I used a mirror to look down the vents and could see wads of paper from the tape used to seal the duct up. Some of it blew to one end by covering all the ducts but one, and some had to be hooked with a wire. It's worth a look with a mirror. Again, not gonna cost you anything.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #9

Intake vents were definitely dirty. dust peeled off like snake skin. Not sure if they have ever been cleaned. Also, there was some factory debris (sawdust like) in the ducts, so vacuumed that out.

I am noticing that I get condensation on the interior roof, just below the main AC unit. See pic below. Not sure how to remedy that, but I know water can't be good.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check and be sure your unit is draining condensate properly off the roof, or thru its drain pipe if you have one. Water inside is never a good thing in a trailer.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
Intake vents were definitely dirty. dust peeled off like snake skin. Not sure if they have ever been cleaned. Also, there was some factory debris (sawdust like) in the ducts, so vacuumed that out.

I am noticing that I get condensation on the interior roof, just below the main AC unit. See pic below. Not sure how to remedy that, but I know water can't be good.

The condensation is just humid air hitting the cold ceiling where the ductwork is. You have a window, vent, or door open allowing outside humid air in.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 05-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #12

The ceiling fan blades, although not shown in the picture, are only a few inches away from the condensation. I suspect it was also contributing to the condensation by messing with the air flow in that area. It is humid out, been raining on and off, between 70-100% humidity. The ceiling is plastic material so not too concerned with the water on this side, but more concerned about possible water building up between the inside and the outside of the roof and creating mold.

Both AC units do release water off the roof. They shut down briefly, water rolls off the roof and the units start back up. That sounds normal.

Should Fantastic fans be turned off when trying to cool the unit? I have thee of them in the coach. My thought was that cold air sinks, hot air rises, so the fans would be pulling out the hot air. Maybe thats also contributing to the condensation, since I have had them open?
Old 05-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #13

With that wet spot building condensation, and after seeing the ac duct installion we dealt with, i would suspect a cold air leak inside that duct. I also rmember now one of our sons commenting that the light above the top bunk that he was in blows cold air when the ac was on. he liked it blowing on him but it was an air leak at the back of the duct.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #14

I think you just need to pull some light fixtures and see if you have an air leak and I personally would keep that thing locked up tight and not have any vents open.

Tags
5th wheel