Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I just went through your process. Went from DP to truck and 5th wheel.

I researched what I wanted in a truck. Documented their capabilities. I knew I didn't want a DRW as my truck would be my daily driver and it wouldn't fit my in my garage. Decided on SRW.
I test drove each of the Big 3, each for a weekend. I really liked the 2015 Ram for its fit and finish, interior, torque and exhaust brake so I used the specs for this truck and looked at what I could get in a 5th wheel. I didn't buy the truck at that point yet. However, had what I wanted to work out the remaining details.

Because it would be our first 5th wheel, we didn't want to buy brand new but set a limit of 5 years old. We looked at a lot of 5ers to get an idea of quality. Many manufacturers did not meet our scrutiny, then we came across our 5 year old Cardinal by Forest River. We the help of this forum we decided to take a closer look. It was in great condition with virtually all the amenities we wanted. Having full body paint was a plus. Meeting all the towing specs of the truck I wanted was perfect and getting it for a fabulous deal was the clincher.

We bought everything listed in our signature.

We're happy campers!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #16

I had a Chevy dually traded it off for SWR 3500. Dually is great when your hooked on pulling but otherwise a pain to drive around in. If you don't need 23,000lbs of towing a 3/4 ton Diesel or 3500 SRW will be a lot of truck.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:39 AM   #17

Parking a 5th wheel is easy for some people, and difficult for others. I don't understand why some have such difficulty with it, but they do. So which group you fall into will have a major consideration into your question. I prefer a 5th wheel, but I move from one Park to another about 2 times a year. If I were traveling staying only a week or two in one place then I might consider the Motorhome over the 5th Wheel. It all depends only your situation. I don't think you can truly go wrong either way. The lifestyle works well in either rig.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 AM   #18

We travel extensively and lots of different parks, many with back in spots. It is just something that comes with practice. Take your time and you will get it and once you do you will never go back.
On the truck, once you pull with a dually, you will also never go back. They are a bit bigger to drive as a car but you get used to it.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 06:46 PM   #19

Dually fits through 10 ft garage door with about 3 inches to spare from both mirrors extended in tow position. I daily drive my Ram 3500 Maxtow, and it fits about the same places as a SRW truck. Would not trade for a SRW because of stability. My GCVWR with the truck and Trilogy is about 25,500 lbs and it handles wonderfully. I am still 4500 lbs below ratings on this truck. Do not buy too small of a truck, check the axle ratio's and capacities verry carefully before you buy. The rated tow weight changes very quickly with the options on the truck. Most SRW trucks only have a few axle options, and that 1 item makes a big difference! Also most dealers do not stock trucks rated to actually tow a decent sized fifth wheel, they stock city trucks that look pretty, but are actually kind of useless to tow with.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #20
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Unfortunately most garage doors are 9' wide. My SRW fits into my garage nicely and tows my 5th wheel very well!

What works for some will not necessarily suit others.

Just make sure whatever 5th wheel you desire has the right truck to pull it. Run the numbers and the one fitting those parameters will be the right choice.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #21

Comfort and safety all in one package.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #22

My wife and I where in same boat. We got an Open Range 3X377FLR(41ft) and love it.
We pull with a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummis. No problems. I did put SUMO boosters on rear axle.(did not want to spend a lot on air bags.) They work great. If ordering a new truck I would get factory installed air lift.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #23
P5W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Comfort and safety all in one package.

That is such a sweet looking setup!

Can you tell me what kind of mpgs you get towing? I'm talking overall. Is it around 11.5? I'm talking over hundreds or thousands of mixed towing miles.

Thanks
P5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5W View Post
That is such a sweet looking setup!

Can you tell me what kind of mpgs you get towing? I'm talking overall. Is it around 11.5? I'm talking over hundreds or thousands of mixed towing miles.

Thanks

Thanks! We really love the whole package. No wind conditions from Western WA to SoCal along I-5 AVERAGE hand calc 9mpg. Combined weight 32,500#.

Took a trip from PalmSprings to LA a two hour drive. Filled freeway the whole trip, sea level to sea level the lie o meter said 17mpg. That is not reality. Mixed freeway/city will be 13-14 and more freeway can get you 15+. I have 4.10 gears that I need for such a heavy load. If I had a 27-28K combined load I would have the 3.42's and tow in 5th, the same rpm's as the 4.10 in 6th. IMHO 3.73's are not needed as I have towed HEAVY with 3.42.s. The Aisin trans makes it work with the low starting gears.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:48 AM   #25

We have the Open Range 3X427BHS which is over 41ft. I have a GMC Sierra 3500 long bed diesel SRW. I'm not over any of my weight limits and went from Michigan to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and back with no problems whatsoever. Consistantly 10 mpg on relatively flat terrain and 8 when going up through mountains. No stability issues whatsoever. Would not want a dually unless pin weights required it. This is awesome truck/trailer combo. Do your math homework before you buy and it's very possible you can do nicely with a proper SRW truck. Happy camping!
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #26

Been down the same road.
We decided on a 2015 Ram Longhorn 3500 4X2 SRW short bed with 6.7 Cummins. The rig will be a Grand Design Solitude Ö. Due to arrive in March.
tcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #27

We plan to retire in about 15 months and upgraded to a used DRV 36TKSB3 with another bedroom slide. I knew what I wanted for a fifth wheel and the specs range for the units. I actually bought the truck before the trailer. We bought a Chevy 3500hd dually. I had looked at all three big guys. My first choice was Ram but they wouldn't deal on price and very few units within a 500 mile radius. The Ram I did like and would have bought was severally damaged when there detailer took it too a car wash that didn't fit dually,'s. Second choice was Chevy and we were able to get a great deal at a terribble dealer. Fully loaded the truck is about 9k and the trailer is about 17.5k. So far no issues pulling but have not travel ed through the mountain out west yet. Towing we average 10-14 and empty about 19-22 (without a programmer). My wife said I spoiled her when she tries to compare bother units to ours.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #28
M2D

When we were looking for a fifth wheel and truck we read all of the posts here about the subject. We studied for days and carefully reviewed our needs. We visited rv shows and studied floor plans online.

We are very happy with our choice of a used 2010 Nuwa Hitchhiker II LS bought from the original owner. This owner knew his stuff and took good care of this unit. He ordered it with the Discover America frame and upgraded axels and tires. These are all things we learned to look for from reading here. We have owner this trailer a year and a half now.

After reading here extensively we bought a 2015 Ford 350 diesel dually. It has a long bed and a crew cab as we travel with our dog in the back seat. My husband was reluctant to get a dually at first but we are thrilled with the way it tows so far. It fits between the lines in parking spaces. We pull in the mirrors when we park if it looks like it might be an issue.

We are in Florida right now and have traveled to Canada and upstate NY so far. We plan a cross country trip soon and to tour our way through the south on our way home to MA in April.

We are very grateful for the excellent advice we received here. I hope that we can be as helpful to others in payment for the many tips we see here every day. I check here often as well as the excellent Nuwa owners list. The Nuwa owners have helped us so quickly with the few minor questions we have had along the way.

Many thanks to all and good luck to you with your decisions, hope to meet you on the road,

M2D