Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

5th Wheel Backup Camera

Hi!
I am looking for a 5th wheel backup camera to use with my 5th wheel. I prefer to use a wireless camera if there are any good ones out there that does not have a problem with interference. My 5th wheel is 36' Cougar High Country towed by a Ford F250 quad cab short bed.

Please let me know what is good and what is bad based on your experiences. I have researched several places and am now totally confused!

Thanks!
bgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

I have tried two different wireless systems, both were amazon or ebay purchases, and finally went to a hardwired camera. The hardwired camera never cuts out, with the distance your trying to go, the wireless cameras would always cut out. Although if you spent some more money then I did and bought a name brand wireless you might have better luck then I did. For my install, I added a 4 pin plug in the truck box beside my 7 pin, works great.
wiredind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #3

Take a look at the Furrion observation system. Many newer trailers are pre-wired for it; yours may be. The camera and monitor are wireless and work great. Furrion also makes a backup camera but the resolution and low-light capabilities aren't as good.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
My EXCEL came with a hybrid wire/wireless Japanese model. A cable ran from the transmitter in front closet to the camera in the rear. After the camera quit working I couldn't replace the same model camera or transmitter because the factory in Japan that manufactured the camera was wiped out by the big tsunami in 2011. It has been a terror finding a wireless camera that will work. I tried several name-brand wireless units. I tried commercial models also. The problem is the transmitter/receiver are line-of-sight units. They can penetrate through some structure but it is limited. The last commercial model I tried was rated for well over the length of my 36' 5th. It worked fine on small back roads where there were trees and other structure for the signal to bounce off. However, on the highway the signal was very spotty. Too much trailer between camera and receiver. When I put the receiver in the DW's car, she could follow a half a mile behind the trailer with perfect reception from the trailer camera.

Eventually, when we become Summertimers, I will install another hybrid wire/wireless unit so I can keep an eye on a towed trailer or vehicle. I can run the cable down the rear cap and under the trailer to the generator compartment where the transmitter will be located.

Until then, I really don't see a need for a rear-view camera. I'll just use my mirrors.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Cabled rearveiw system...

Back in 2008 when the wireless systems seemed to be questionable regarding reception I chose to install a cabled system on my 2002 Wildcat. When I upgraded to my 2009 Bighorn I stripped the system and installed it on my current rig. When I upgrade again, I will look long and hard at the wireless systems as running the cable cleanly through your rig and TV does take some thought and time. Here's how I did it on my Bighorn:

My initial install has the cable from the cam running down the ladder and under the rear of the trailer where I followed the main frame along to the front where I could jump into my battery compartment and route the cable through the front storage and into the junction box at the pinbox. I have since reworked the job and cut a port in the rear fiberglass cap just above the cam and fed the cable down inside the rear cap for a cleaner more protected installation.

At the pinbox I jumped out of the J-box and ran the cable in the same automotive cable protector up to the quick connect that can be seen in the one picture looking under the fiberglass cowl.

From this point the camera cable changes to the blue coil cable that serves as a "conduit" for the trailer power cable. They both run into the bed of my TV to a set of side-by-side connections. One for power/lights/brakes, and the other for the camera system.

A second cable runs from the connection in the bed along the frame of the truck into the engine compartment and through the firewall to the cab where it feeds a Pioneer AVIC-F500BT navigation system with audio/video input. My GPS and rearview monitor are all in one.

The camera and cable system complete with connectors came from here:
Rearview Camera, Camera systems for Recreational Vehicles, Cars, Trucks and Buses.

The Pioneer GPS came from here:
https://6ave.com/

A bit long-winded, but thought I may as well give you it all at once. You can disregard any/all of it if you so choose. Hope it helps some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150819_164235.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	155591   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4320.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	155592  

Name:	100_4321.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	155593   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4322.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	486.0 KB
ID:	155594  

Name:	100_4327.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	155595   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4328.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	155596  

Old 03-21-2017, 06:08 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I use this one https://www.amazon.ca/Jensen-WVOS511.../dp/B00C5MTX8Q

Works great, have it on all the time works like a rear view mirror.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 PM   #7

The biggest concern with wireless IMO is its not real time,meaning a delay until signal gets to camera
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 PM   #8

I think that's true of anything. If you run a wire for 50 feet, there will be a delay. I never had any latency issues with the Furrion. I also was not going 50 mph in reverse with a trailer behind me. More like .5 mph.
BirchyBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42willys View Post
The biggest concern with wireless IMO is its not real time,meaning a delay until signal gets to camera
I have not noticed an appreciable transmission delay.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42willys View Post
Now that is funny. Radio waves travel at the speed of light.

BTW I bought a Peak backup camera a few years back at Sams Club and it has worked flawlessly. I went all out too as it cost me a whooping $59. That was a camera, cables and 7" monitor.

Note: the cables were for electrical connection as it is a wireless system.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #11

Thanks for all the great information!
bgrissom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, camera