Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #15

Mid Atlantic Campers
That's. My next move. Just have not had time to look into. Thanks for the suggestions. Good luck to the OP. You are not alone.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:28 PM   #16

Related Question - Battery Disconnect?

Does anyone out there disconnect the battery if the RV is not going to be used in the next 2 weeks or so? Or do you use some logical lapse in time? This is presuming normal - above freezing temps.

Also, if shoreline power is available; should it be attached? or leave that disconnected?

Has anyone added their own add-on battery disconnect? or do you just pull one cable off the battery terminal?

Dumb questions for you long timers? Thanks for your advise.
touringmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:45 PM   #17

2 weeks should never be a problem for not using battery(s).
Leave it plugged in IF you have a multi-stage converter/charger; if you have only a single-stage converter, you will eventually boil the battery(s) dry.
Adding a battery disconnect is done often, just to be sure there are no draws on the battery when not using the unit. Pulling the neg cable off is sufficient, but keep it clean and protected.
No dumb questions--we were all new to this at some time in the past.
By the way, Excel is considered a very quality unit, congratulations.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmn View Post
Does anyone out there disconnect the battery if the RV is not going to be used in the next 2 weeks or so? Or do you use some logical lapse in time? This is presuming normal - above freezing temps.

Also, if shoreline power is available; should it be attached? or leave that disconnected?

Has anyone added their own add-on battery disconnect? or do you just pull one cable off the battery terminal?

Loads from hard wired smoke detectors, other detectors, fridge circuit boards etc. can drain batteries in less than 2 weeks.

Yes, people add cutoff switches. They don't cost much. Removing and reinstalling battery cables can get old very quickly.

If you have shore power I don't see why it wouldn't be fine to stay hooked up to that, but if it goes down you may wind up with dead batteries. Somebody else may know more about this than me.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringmn View Post

Oh, and if you do you leave your rig hooked up to shore power for any length of time with the batteries connected do make sure the electrolyte level is good. If that gets low batteries can overheat and there is potential for bad things to happen.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:14 AM   #20

Lots of questions not answered by the OP. What kind of battery? Do you have a disconnect on your batteries? How did you know the voltage you were posting?

If you are putting the rig into storage for a while, the battery disconnect switch should be turned off. If you saw 13.? volts while not connected to truck or 120v, I suspect your volt meter is reading high. 12.5 volts is plenty to run your jacks if the battery is decent at all and the jacks are operating correctly.

One of the best, most concise discussions on batteries for our RV's is this one:

http://manmrk.net/tutorials/RV/phred/battery.html

I highly recommend listening to Fred when battery replacement comes up and use "TRUE" deep cycle batteries, such as Trojan T105's (plural because they are 6v and need 2). The so called deep cycle RV/Marine batteries are a limited hybrid that give no where near the service time of a true deep cycle, plus battery life is less than 1/2. If you do any dry camping, you will suddenly find the wonderful world of the true deep cycle, plus not be replacing your batteries as often due to the deep discharging of dry camping.

If you are in dry storage often and it is exposed to the sun, I highly recommend getting a small solar panel voltage source for batteries that will fit inside your skylite. Install a cigarette lighter outlet near the wire from the panel and run it direct to your batteries bypassing the disconnect switch. Be sure to put a small inline fuse in that line. This will keep your batteries charged up while not in use and greatly increase their life by not allowing them deep discharging.

Bob
Old 03-21-2016, 06:36 AM   #21

Mid Atlantic Campers
When our 5'ver is in storage it is always the battery thing. Even though we have a shut off you have to keep an eye on the batteries when the weather is very cold.

Pick up a new trailer on Monday, 3/28, and fixed the battery problem. (2) solar panels on the roof.

Enjoy the road. We do.

Don

2008 F350 CC 2WD LB 6.4 Lariat Auto SRW, Retrax, AirSafe Hitch, Train Horns, On-Board air, RideRites, Aux Tank, 19.5 Michelins
2016 Mobile Suites, induction cooktop, solar, (4) 6 volt, full paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig., more
Don & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #22

Don,
Sent you a private message...
Joe
Old 03-26-2016, 05:31 AM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
[QUOTE=wingnut60;2993592]Don,
Sent you a private message...
Joe[/QUOTE
Don for some reason your message doesn't appear in my inbox. Might be my phone. Not all functions for the forum work with it.
birddog2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:23 AM   #24

Sorry, wrong Don. Was meant for Don & Pat above.
Joe
Old 03-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #25

Test it without a charge and you'll know if it's low. Charge it for a while and retest to see if it can hold a charge. AGM batteries shouldn't be drained more than 20% or risk failure to recharge. If replacing, may as well upgrade and get a good battery bank and wiring.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #26

So just a quick follow up on this post.

I did replace the 12V with 2 x Trojan T125 6V batteries. So far so good. I think I just got a bad battery with the unit when we purchased it (used unit). Right now, we do keep it hooked up to a 110V outlet while in storage. Check on it weekly and have not seen any issues with it so far.

Thanks to everyone that posted with info. Much appreciated.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Test it without a charge and you'll know if it's low. Charge it for a while and retest to see if it can hold a charge. AGM batteries shouldn't be drained more than 20% or risk failure to recharge. If replacing, may as well upgrade and get a good battery bank and wiring.
I think you meant to say that AGMs shouldn't be drained more than 80%, to 20% of their capacity.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #28

Actually I meant 50% :-) but I think 80% is more accurate. Many people told me don't drain more than 50%
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, batteries