Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #1

I have seen a few bike racks on fifth wheels that mount to the front of the trailer I think on the king pin some-how. Does anybody have a rack like this and does it work? I've dropped bikes off the back bumper twice now at 70mph on the interstate and it as not pretty. Supplier's name and manufacturer would be great.
Thanks Apusfrank

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2002, 04:47 PM   #2

I have seen a few bike racks on fifth wheels that mount to the front of the trailer I think on the king pin some-how. Does anybody have a rack like this and does it work? I've dropped bikes off the back bumper twice now at 70mph on the interstate and it as not pretty. Supplier's name and manufacturer would be great.
Thanks Apusfrank

Old 02-06-2002, 08:21 PM   #3

I know that you are looking for something to mount to the front, and I can't help you there, but I thought I'd show a pic of the class III receiver mounted to the 5er rear bumper for the hitch mounted bike rack.Click here for picture

Ken Lenger
2001.9 2500 QC 4X4 LWB SLT, HO 6 Speed, 4.10 LSD. Jordan Brake Controller, Jacobs E-Brake, Mag-Hytec.
For Sale - Artic Fox 27-5L 5th Wheel RV Solar Electric System
RV and Tow Vehicle Weights, and exercise in reality
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 04:38 AM   #4
Boz

aplusfrank -

That is an option we are investigating, too.

What I have learned is that these are really nothing more than a 2" square receiver welded to the top of the extended kingpin box, then a standard bike rack of the type Ken's picture shows is installed or removed as needed. The trick is the receiver has to be customized to fit the angle of the pin box, and the whole assembly has to extend far enough forward to clear the front cap of the fiver.

Ed

'98 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab SLT Long Bed, 4x2, Cummins Diesel, A/T, 4.10 rear, Air Lifts
'00 Damon Challenger 33MLB Fifth Wheel

God Bless and Protect the Armed Forces of the U.S. and our Allies.

Boz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 05:56 AM   #5

Coastal Campers
Saw just the set-up that Boz describes.. 5er next to me in the fuel pits at Flying J had a receiver welded to the side of the pinbox. Wasn't much of an extended box either.. the rack then extended away from the trailer. It will work

2006 "Collector Edition" Arctic Fox 24-5N
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 08:39 AM   #6

Check this link.

http://www.multimania.com/liensutiles/toppop.html

I have one of their racks and I'm satisfied.

94 Firan Raven 31Ft. P30, partly paid for :-)
Visit my web sites ( in French ) at http://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
My English is not up to par :-((

Visit my web sites ( in French ) at http://www3.sympatico.ca/galant/messites.html
JG Gallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 08:01 PM   #7

I made a bike mount for the front of my fiver as described above. A piece of receiver tubing welded to a piece of 1/4" flat steel, and bolted to the kingpin box. My thule 4 bike rack works perfectly. But this will only be true if your tow rig is a long bed.
Old 02-10-2002, 04:17 AM   #8

aplusfrank,

There was a post quite awhile back that featured the very bike rack you are talking about. In fact, I even emailed the people to ask them some questions. They were located in Montreal. I was thinking of going with one, but then thought about all the bugs that are on the front of the fifth wheel after a trip and decided I didn't want to clean bugs off the bike after each trip.

For the life of me, I can't find the website or former post on this. I have search the web and this site for some clue and have come up empty. They looked like a well made unit from that standpoint.

sorry for not being any help..

2000 35' Carri Lite fifth wheel with triple slideouts. Rear living room with a 20' awning.
99.5 Ford PSD crewcab Dually.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aric Peake:
I made a bike mount for the front of my fiver as described above. A piece of receiver tubing welded to a piece of 1/4" flat steel, and bolted to the kingpin box. My thule 4 bike rack works perfectly. But this will only be true if your tow rig is a long bed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have pictures please forward to kinmondg@telusplanet.net.

thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
Try this site. TopPop Rails
Old 07-31-2005, 07:36 PM   #11

I have build a receiver based rack on my king pin hitch which works great but the one big draw back is that it is difficult to lift the bikes on and off and it is near impossible to do so when hitched up. If I had to do it over again I would put the generator up there and the bikes on the back. But then refueling would be harder so I guess the king pin isn't a great place for anything but the level.
Dan

99.5 F250 SC PSD LB
DHoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:38 AM   #12

For those of you who have the front mounted bike rack. What do you do about bugs collecting on the bikes? The smooth cap is hard enough to clean.
Jim