Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM   #1

I have a problem with my 5th wheel brakes.

Symptoms:

1. When I hooked up to the trailer, it acted like the brakes were on when I tried to move. (Trailer had not been moved for about 11 months)
2. The controller will apply the brakes on the trailer without putting my foot on the peddle by turning the amps setting up.
3. Have a humming noise in the two right side wheels. (Magnets)
4. The controller is a Jordan Ultima.
5. The manual control button on the controller does nothing.
6. Pulled the trailer around the block and the two right side drums were hot.
7. Contacts on the plug-in to the tow vehicle look good.
8. Controller wired correctly.
9. Pulled one hub and brakes look good.
Any ideas on what to look for next?

99 CarriLite 5th wheel 36'
Edmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM   #2

I have a problem with my 5th wheel brakes.

Symptoms:

1. When I hooked up to the trailer, it acted like the brakes were on when I tried to move. (Trailer had not been moved for about 11 months)
2. The controller will apply the brakes on the trailer without putting my foot on the peddle by turning the amps setting up.
3. Have a humming noise in the two right side wheels. (Magnets)
4. The controller is a Jordan Ultima.
5. The manual control button on the controller does nothing.
6. Pulled the trailer around the block and the two right side drums were hot.
7. Contacts on the plug-in to the tow vehicle look good.
8. Controller wired correctly.
9. Pulled one hub and brakes look good.
Any ideas on what to look for next?

Old 03-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Check the breakaway switch, it may be pulled or defective. If not that, maybe the cable connector that's connected to the truck was damaged causing the 12 volt battery charge circuit to short to the blue brake power circuit.

Controller may be bad too.

I moved your post from the iRV2 General to this forum to give it the proper attention from members with fifth wheels.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 PM   #4

Using the term loosely I'll brainstorm! First check the breakaway switch as Richard said. If it is faulty the brake magnets will be energized constantly. Next is the actual trailer plugs, both RV and tow vehicle. dis-assemble them enough to insure no wires are loose or touching another. Use Marks RV wiring page to double-check your wiring.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:47 AM   #5

First I would jack up the right side and try to rotate the tires manually to see if the brakes are or are not engaged. It is possible, and it happened on ours, that the release is not letting the pads disengage after braking. On ours this was because the pad support bracket was tightened way to tight and once engaged would not release right away.
If the brake is being engaged it has to have 12v from somewhere, just a matter of finding out what is sending the 12v to the magnets.

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #6

Not to sound like I am asking the really basic questions but - this truck/trailer combo have worked together before? I ask because I hooked to a buddy's trailer and discovered that his wiring was whacked, but it worked for him. Sometimes trucks/trailers get rewired for convienence so they match, but it gets away from the rest of the worlds wiring.

another thing to trouble shoot is the trailer brake controller, disconnect it if you can, leaving the truck plugged to the trailer to see if the humming noise goes away.

If your brakeway switch is bad, you will know if the brakes are on when disconnected (electrically), provided of course, the onboard battery is good.

because you state that you cannot manually apply the brake with your brake controller can mean 2 things-
1) as the brakes are on full already, no change expected.
2) if the controller give no indication of providing signal, then something wrong with the controller

It also sounds like only one side is working. So, try to apply brakes(wife or kid), then use a compass to confirm the magnets are working when applied/released(look for the swing of the compass needle) Check all hubs.

Hope that made sense. good luck.

03 Ram 3500, CTD, Crew Cab, 4X4, DRW, 6 spd, pacbrake, aFe stage 1 mega cannon with Torq tube.
The Big Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:32 AM   #7

Progress report:

1. Took the Breakaway switch off and had it checked. (Good)
2. Checked all the wiring. Nothing wrong here that I could find.
3. Started taking off wheels, found no retainers on the magnets.
4. Pulled all the wheels, replaced the magnet retainers, checking that the magnet arms were free, repacked bearings, adjusted brakes.
5. Test ran trailer, still not right, some brakes but not enough stopping power.
6. Took the truck to the dealer and had them check the controller. They said it was bad. Possibly, I could have done this first and would have had brakes but wouldn't have known about the magnet retainers (a .37 cent part).
7. Bought and installed a new controller. I now have brakes.

For what it's worth, I had the wheels repacked at this same dealer the last time they were off. It's probably a good thing that I didn't put a lot of miles on the trailer in that condition.
Another question, will the magnets rubbing the drum continuously cause the controller to bad?

Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate it.

Ed

Old 03-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #8

Just for your future info Ed. The Magnet retainers are just there to enable you to hold the magents in place when you remount the hub & drum. Once the hub & drum is on there is NO reason for the retainers. As a matrer of fact they fall out in very short order. I use a pice of coat hanger cut to fit the hole in the magnet arm to retain the magnet when I need to take off the hub & drum. You need to check the amps & voltage to your magnets in the future & if you did not have 10 to 12 volts at each magnet then you would have known your controller may have been the culprit. Also, for your info. the magnets are ALWAYS in contact with the hub & drum. That is why there are small springs on the inside of the magnets. I do not know why your controller went bad but there could be ANY number of reasons.

Reg
Old 03-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #9

Some electric brake controllers will self-destruct if the emergency breakaway cable is pulled and the tow vehicle is attached. The owners manual for the controller will say for sure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 PM   #10

I will add that when I reinstalled my batteries I did not realise I hooked them up wrong, so as soon as I hooked the trailer up they hummed.
Kept plugging and unplugging til a light went on and I realised I must have hooked the battery up wrong, as that was the only thing that had changed since I put it back on the road.