Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2016, 12:58 AM   #15

My Buddy has an Open Range. Two and a half yrs old. Lives in SCal no paint fade on cap or chaulking of jell coat. Just keep it waxed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 PM   #16

Yeah, the ones I am referring to are probably somewhat older than that. I think the newer models have better gelcoat.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #17

Here Is My 2 Cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Just finished a 6hr trek through the Houston RV show. Narrowed down the ones we like to 3 finalist. KZ Durango 2500 346BHQ, Sierra 376BHOK, and finally Grand design 355BH.
My question is: Is one of these manufactures better than the other? It appears to be that most of the construction is the same. But is there better quality in one vs the other? This will be a full time rig for about a 1yr. Can't afford the mobile suites or their comps so let's not go there lol.
There seems to be a lot of misinformation. I have a Durango Gold and they come with a 2 yr warranty, even if you use them full time. Mine is on a perm site, so we are usually in it every weekend from April through October. Some companies scale back the warranty if you use them full time. I bought my new, and I have only had a couple of minor issues that took me a minute or two to fix each. Also I have called KZ for support, and someone answers the phone and transfers you to someone to help, right then and there. I was really impressed with their customer service. No waiting 48 hrs or whatever. KZ is actually owned by Thor now, so I'm not sure if anything has changed or not. It was last summer when I called them though. Just giving you my experiences with the company so far. They are just a smaller brand, so you don't see or hear too much about them. Also there are some good You Tube videos on Durango's out there. It seems that most of the videos come from dealers in the Mid West. I do not have any experience with the other 2 brands, just wanted to share my experience with KZ. Hope this info helps.
Smitty4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:36 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4ut View Post
There seems to be a lot of misinformation......Some companies scale back the warranty if you use them full time. :
What companies scale back the warranty if you use full time?

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
I was watching a video review of a Durango, and that is what they said in the video about the Durango warranty. They said that they warranty for 2 years even if you are full time living. Then they said that they don't cut your warranty off after a season. Maybe I mistook what she said, but it lead me to believe that some companies do cut you off after a season of full time living. Maybe they are wrong, they didn't actually name the companies. I guess my point is not so much about the other companies as much as about that full time living is still warranted by Durango. Here is the link to the video.

Smitty4ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Thor!
Old 02-26-2016, 11:02 AM   #21

Asking for opinions on 30' or smaller fifth wheels as to reliability and etc. is a Forest River unit a good purchase. Oh, I also need to be able to pull it with my 2006 Chevy 1/2 ton 4wd z71
Old 02-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #22

Hi WenWes, we are in the same boat as you. We have started looking for a 5th wheel that is 26'-29'. We've looked at a LF297RLS Open Range (3 slides) and love the floor plan in the kitchen/living room, great storage in kitchen & bathroom. Nice hanging closet with 3 drawers inside, but they really skimped on the nightstand bed area. Now trying to check the construction quality against others. Looked at the Jayco Eagle HT27.5RLTS (3 slides) and it seemed to have great construction quality all around but absolutely no storage inside anywhere. The 26.5 had much more storage but only 2 slides so not as much living space. Tomorrow we're going to look at the Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF28SE (3 slides) that appears to be the same floor plan as the Jayco but with much more storage and need to check construction quality. Another concern that it might be too heavy for a 1/2 ton truck. We also looked at Artic Fox & Glacier Peak but they're definitely too heavy. Currently we have an older (15 yrs) 1/2 ton and planning to buy a newer one. We haven't bought it yet because of advice from others to decide on your coach first then buy your truck so that's what we're doing. I'm interested to see what suggestions others might have for you that we might also consider. Good luck!
Old 02-27-2016, 06:01 PM   #23

My friend has an open range his secound one very few prolems. The west lake tires suck . Replace them . He had just one cable break and was able to replace himself. The front cap and gel are much better with fading. His new one is 2 yrs old out in the S CAL sun all the time and not a hint of fading. I think they are awell made trl for the money. Go on the Genuine RV web site they have great prices not only on OR but Keystone and FR
Old 02-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #24

We recommend people buy a good used unit to start out. That way you can live in it and see what you like or dislike to incorporate in your full time unit. Also, some people decide full time is not their cup of tea so you have not made a big investment. As was mentioned, a new unit loses a large chuck of money once you drive it off the lot. A used unit has already lost that first year depreciation.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #25

Wanted to let you know we finally pulled the trigger this weekend! We were looking for a smaller coach and had narrowed it down to Jayco & Heartland. Really liked the quality of Jayco, liked the floor plan but didn't like that they had the kitchen slide on the passenger side so all windows were on driver side overlooking your neighbor's camp site instead of your own. Since we haven't bought our new truck yet & the Jayco was heavier than what husband had planned we decided to relook at a few others we had taken off the list because of weight. We ended up with a Grand Design Relection 303rls and are so happy! We know two other couples that have Grand Design. One has the Reflection 313rlts and the other has the Momentum 350M. They both love them! The 303rls had the floor plan we liked the best but had the kitchen slide on the driver side blocking overlooking your neighbor and lots of windows on the back & front. Beautiful hutch with tons of storage & great structural quality. Can't wait to get it within the next two weeks so we can start using it! Love this website and so glad we found it. Everyone is so helpful with so much excellent information! Thank you!
Old 02-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #26

Windows on the driver side, thanks for bringing that issue to our attention. Something many probably discovered too late :>(

CLIFF

Tags
5th wheel, comparison