Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #43
In fairness, that would be the same as you saying you know about RVs with only 75 posts. Not saying one way or another, just that the facts aren't there right now.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #44
Originally Posted by dbear View Post
Ah, but Reese had a group of engineers test the Goosebox, and based upon the results of that, Lippert endorsed it. These are facts.

So it's more an issue of which group of engineers do you listen to? Right now, those two groups are (1) independent engineers who tested the actual product, and (2) some forum posters who claim to be engineers and who have not.

In my opinion, the latter group simply does not have the specific knowledge - i.e. Goosebox design specs, testing procedure and data - to unequivocally disprove Reese's claim. That doesn't mean they couldn't be correct, just that right now, they are not.
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see anywhere that those engineers addressed the same issues that Rusty and TXiceman discussed (vertical shock loads vs. horizontal (non-shock) acceleration-deceleration loads)

jspande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #45
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see anywhere that those engineers addressed the same issues that Rusty and TXiceman discussed (vertical shock loads vs. horizontal (non-shock) acceleration-deceleration loads)
That's why I said I'd like to know more about the testing methods used by that independent testing agency. Without that direct knowledge, regardless of the scientific validity of what they say, any discussion relevant to Goosebox performance is heavily entrenched in speculation and generalities.

For some reason, it seems that Txiceman took it personally. I have no dog in this "fight". My intent all along was only to promote an open discussion about this by keeping an open mind to both sides.

Like it or not, the facts are (1) a group of engineers says the Goosebox is perfectly fine to use for loads up to 16k pounds, (2) for anyone to say otherwise without scientific knowledge and data specific to the design and performance of the Goosebox to back up that rebuttal is merely opinion, regardless of one's background.
"Do one brave thing today...then run like ****!"
dbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #46
SWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had asked the Reese representative to have their chief engineer contact me. No one from Reese ever tried to contact me on the Goose Box and the design. Sure makes me wonder if they have an engineer capable of discussing structural stress design for a 5th wheel frame. One thing to note is they will be concerned about the design of the Goose Box and not the trailer frame stresses when compared to a 5th wheel hitch. They can easily cover their liability with a weasel-worded warranty statement.

I for one do not readily accept marketing hype over my basic engineering knowledge. So engineers...1, marketing...0. I did not take this personally, but, I do have a problem accepting marketing hype when it will not pass the basic engineering test.

But we all know that since it is on the Internet, it has to be true. But, if you had a brain tumor, would you look to the Internet or a Doctor certified in brain surgery?

Do you know any male French model?....Bonjour, y'all.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:50 AM   #48
May be if you offered them $300 per hour.

On a more serious note, there are times where actual test data does not match the amassed knowledge of prior calculations. While a bit more involved than a hitch, take the flight characteristics of the x-29.
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #49
Wink 5th wheel conversion to gooseneck

WOW! Guess I opened a pandora's box of opinions and expert advice. I want to thank everyone who responded. It has been very entertaining and educational......I have made up my mind that I'm going to stick with a conventional 5er setup and buy another pickup for my daily use!!!
I was able to extract some very good inforamtion in just what brand of hitch to look into for our trailer when we travel this winter to the RV show in Minneapolis.
Again, I want to thank all of you for your input.
kurtdnellson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #50
Good choice. I have the real-world experience of a pin that was ripped out of the pinbox when I tried to use a gooseneck on my Suites early on--good thing it was still in my back yard when it happened.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #51
I think you'll be happier in the long run. For anyone in doubt try this simple idea. Standing up with the palms of your hand facing back, raise your arm up until it is horizontal -- and parallel to the floor. Now have someone pull your hand straight. Not much stress on your shoulder right? Now try it again only bend your elbow and point your hand at the floor...now have someone pull your hand straight, feel the additional stress on your shoulder? ....well hopefully everyone gets the idea. It looks to me the Reese is superior in design from a structural standpoint to an add-on adapter. I personally wouldn't use one. If the mfg's wanted a gooseneck coupler on their products....they'd have designed them for one.

Trent & Jody.
2004 DRV Mobile Suites 33RS3
2016 Ford F350 DRW Lariat 6-pack 4x4 Diesel 14K GVW
Trent McCain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #52
In my experience, it'll ride smoother than the GN anyway.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #53
Doing yoga or pilates to explain the torsional forces excerted by a GN adapter is all fine and dandy. In the end whoever uses these adapters should be aware that it may cause issues to their FW frame, so they better check it out for stress cracks etc, and beef up the frame accordingly. For me, I went the GN way because I have two ranch trucks that already have a GN ball so why spend more money? I also am aware that not all GN adapters are created equally. Some are more better at reducing the torsional effects on the frame than others. I have braced up my frame with extra gussets and tubing, its probably over built now, but better safe than sorry.
SWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #54
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If using a gooseneck adapter voids the manufacturers warranty, that is their way of telling you that their frames are not designed (strong enough) for a gooseneck adapter !!!
I have worked on a lot of 5th wheel frames, and most are marginal at best.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #55
I am not a engineer, but I have yet to find a Company ,that builds 5th wheels to offer the goose neck adapter as a option.
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT 5th , 2000 Ford F-250 Power Stroke 7.3
Riverc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #56
Originally Posted by SWD View Post
I have yet to see a clearly documented account where a gn adapter has caused issues on a fw. Here say and rumours dont count. Pictures along with documented evidence does.
Very easy to check out. Every time you see a GN hitch on a 5ver look at the front of the 5ver. You will see dents and ripples across the front of the 5vers that don't do so well with the GN adapter. If you don't see the damage rub your hand across the area. You see more of that damage in the rural areas where RVers haul a lot of stock or horse trailers so they adapt their 5ver to the GN. The damage is caused by the torque on the longer GN hitch. Of coarse I'm not the GN police. I don't go around photographing other RVers problems. Simple enough read all the posts, then do your own investigating before you convert it over to a GN.

wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel