Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2017, 07:22 AM   #1

5th Wheel Decision

Need help in our 5th wheel decision; here are the options:

1) 2012 Duthchman Infinity 3750FL
2) 2013 Heartland Bighorn 3855FL
3) 2015 Jayco Pinnicle 38FLSA
4) 2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

notice the theme, used and FL.

We really like the Jayco but looking at the other 3 also.

We'll be purchasing in Jan and hopefully your comments will assist in our decision.

note: We'll be living in this for a year or more and then we'll use to travel through-out the vacationing months.

looking to relocate to Columbus, Ohio area.

thanks for any info in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Carolina Campers
I have no information on the other models you listed, but I do have a 2017 379FLS. I have had it for one full season (pulled it about 5k miles) and I am very pleased.

Build quality is good. This is my third RV (had two TTs) and I would say, fit and finish is above average. The one thing to be aware of (google "Grand Design greased brakes") is the greased brake issue. I had the issue, but I will say, GD stood behind me and addressed it.

I like the floor plan. The living room area is really nice with plenty of seating and two sofas that turn into queen beds. In addition, there are two theater chairs. Nice size refrigerator and big closet pantry with plenty of cabinet space. I like the size of the shower and the high ceilings in the bathroom.

On the downside, the bathroom is a bit smaller than I would like. While there is a good size medicine cabinet, I would like another cabinet for towels. Also, I have a king size bed, I would have liked the bedroom a tad bigger for walk around space. There is enough room at the foot, but would have liked another six to 12 inches on each side of the bed. The other issue that I have heard bothers some (not really an issue for me), you can NOT access the fridge with the kitchen slide closed.

Bottom line, I am pleased with the 379FLS and would get the same thing again.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #3

VanLeigh Vilano 375fl. Worth taking a look at.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #4

Used 5th wheel - New Horizon RV

If I were going to purchase a used 5th wheel (not sure what your budget it) and wanted a 5th wheel that would last a long time and is the best around I would take a serious look at the www.horizonsrv.com site and take a look at their used inventory.

New Horizon is the best, or one of the best, 5th wheels on the market. They are quality and last a long time.

Good luck in your search.

Don
Maryland
Old 11-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Which one has a generator, or generator prep...16" wheels rated for G load range tires, a sink you can brush your teeth over without hitting your head on the vanity mirror, sink large enough to do dishes in, two air conditioning units, 50 amp service, large enough refrigerator to store all your stuff, hydraulic levelers, holding tanks with enough space to go a week without hookups, space and cargo carrying capacity for your stuff, and not too heavy for your tow vehicle.

We had a 30ft entry level Fifth Wheel before....and that was my list of stuff I had to have on the next RV. We added a few things we really like...cord/hose reels, central vac, washer and dryer.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #6

Thanks everyone, a new adventure awaits us.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #7

The Bighorn is a small step down from a Jayco Pinnacle. The Pinnacle competes with Landmark. Did Landmark have any FL 5th wheels?

Redwood made FL 5th wheels that I thougt were nice.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

I relocated from Columbus Ohio after 30 years. It was a great place back in the 80's with a lot of jobs and traffic was less and lower cost of living. Now it is more big city. I miss Skyline Chilli and Great Harvest Bread Company.

Cross Creek RV Park is about the only place to keep a 5th wheel which is 20 miles north of the city. About 5 miles north of 270.

Good luck
Old 12-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #9

We're picking up our "new to us" 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA in the morning. Dealership is taking care of a couple of small issues and it will be ready to go. Hated to buy this time of year as it's going straight to storage but we were shopping and it was too good a deal to pass up. G tires, stacked washer dryer, 5.5kw generator, residential fridge, sat tv, back up camera, etc. My only complaint is that with the gen set and it's fuel tank taking up the forward bay, the trailer is short on outside storage space. The trailer has the receiver hitch so we will probably have to look at some kind of storage tray/rack that mounts back there. We've had two 5th wheels and two diesel pushers and now back to towables again. The Pinnacle seems like a well built unit.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:11 PM   #10

Yakimaman...just curious why you went from a motor home back to a fifth wheel.? We are looking at getting back into the RV thing and will be near full time spending 6 to 8 months out of the year traveling. In all our years we started in tent, then pickup camper, then class c, then fifth wheel which we sold a few years back. I have recently been researching the 5th wheel versus motor home and have not made up my mind yet.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstauffer View Post
Yakimaman...just curious why you went from a motor home back to a fifth wheel.? We are looking at getting back into the RV thing and will be near full time spending 6 to 8 months out of the year traveling. In all our years we started in tent, then pickup camper, then class c, then fifth wheel which we sold a few years back. I have recently been researching the 5th wheel versus motor home and have not made up my mind yet.
Thanks
Don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a MH vs 5er discussion so will just say it was primarily a cost and confidence issue. With a $100k budget it limited us to DPs that were in the 8-10 year old range. Lots of units out there with low miles but stuff starts to wear out - wiring, seals, chassis components and we had issues that cost us thousands of dollars to fix and it would be something else the next year. We found dependable chassis service almost non-existent. We now have a 2 yr old Pinnacle that is much more livable and a 3 yr old Ram (Cummins) Laramie dually with less than 30k miles and have about the same cost invested. But, the truck gets worked on at the Dodge dealer, I get to use it when we aren't camping and the trailer can be worked on, if needed, at any RV dealer.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #12

Thanks for your comments. They pretty well coincide with my thoughts and research. We are in about the same budget area that you were. I did not mean to hijack the thread, but your statement of going back to a 5th wheel was of interest to me.
Thanks again.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakimaman View Post
Don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a MH vs 5er discussion so will just say it was primarily a cost and confidence issue. With a $100k budget it limited us to DPs that were in the 8-10 year old range. Lots of units out there with low miles but stuff starts to wear out - wiring, seals, chassis components and we had issues that cost us thousands of dollars to fix and it would be something else the next year. We found dependable chassis service almost non-existent. We now have a 2 yr old Pinnacle that is much more livable and a 3 yr old Ram (Cummins) Laramie dually with less than 30k miles and have about the same cost invested. But, the truck gets worked on at the Dodge dealer, I get to use it when we aren't camping and the trailer can be worked on, if needed, at any RV dealer.
X2
The RV side of things is old technology that we service/repair ourselves but the vehicles these days need specialized service and an up to date computer to plug it into.

Not big on #1or #2 ....Thor or FR :(
No.3 would be our choice...unless #4 was a GD Reflection line.

Make sure to compare the size of the I beam used for the chassis as well as the thickness of the spring hangers. For comparison take a look at a Northwood Arctic Fox

Tags
5th wheel