Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #1

5th Wheel for Full Time Living

Hi everyone! I just signed up on here. I am helping my elderly father who is 73 purchase a 5th wheel to live in full time. He sold his house and wants out of his apartment.

I would like to know which are the best full time quality 5th wheels out there as far as makes and models. He is going to buy a used one for now. He is not going over 20k being it's his first unit. If anyone who lives in a 5th wheel full time would be willing to chime in, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

Forgot this..he wants something 32'-38' with 2-3 slides.
dieselguytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure some of our fiver experts will be along with advice soon.

We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hi & welcome to iRV2. We had a 5-r & before we got the motorhome, we were seriously looking at full-time 5-rs. The ones on my short list were:
Hitchhiker
Double Tree-Mobile Suites
Excel
Jayco (their old Designer series - I don't know how their current Pinnacle series stacks up now)

All are/were quality built RV's with nice ammenities & well insulated.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

New Horizons Owners Club
Dieselguytx
Hitchhiker is a great unit for living in full time. Check out Kansas rv center, formerly NuWa. They have a good lineup of late model used 5th wheels there,
KS RV Dealer | New & Used RVs in KS | Lifestyle, Palomino, Forest River, NuWa
Old 07-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #5

I would look at high end orphans. I find nothing, except New Horizons, Space Craft, Continental Coach, new that compares to them.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #6

Dieselguytx, I assume your in Tx check out 5th Wheel Trailers for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Some manufacturers have an owners forum that features a for sale section. You can often find a good unit that has been gently used at a bargain price.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #8

It may be difficult to buy a top end quality unit for 20K. Does he want the steps in a 5ver? Maybe TT would be better-no interior steps?
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:51 PM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
Full time 5th wheel options

I just posted our 2008 38' New Horizons 5th wheel for sale on this site. The quality is excellent. Many of these units are purchased by full timers as they are built to last. We just bought another New Horizons after looking at the other high end brands but could not find anything constructed as well. My husband is a retired engineer and he climbs all over and under the rigs and between the steel frames and heavy duty axles he was sold. I like the SOLID wood cabinetry (no particle board or laminate anywhere) and quality interiors. Dual pane windows, excellent rigid insulation, huge holding tanks, two AC's, surround sound, 2 flat screen TV's, solid surface counters, too much to mention here but happy to answer any questions you might have [moderator edit]
BillorTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

New Horizons Owners Club
Ours has 3 slides !
Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 PM   #11

New Horizons Owners Club
Oops, sorry, I just saw your limit on price. But I still can highly recommend a NH, if you can find an older one. They really hold up. We have several members in our owners group (NHOG) New Horizons Owners Group who have the original "Classic" that was built by the original owner. The company is now a family owned business where each unit is custom ordered.
Good luck in your search
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
I live in a keystone Montana 3 slides and love it . Very well insulated lots of storage space and cabinets !
fsteve65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
IC2

We have just spent the best part of the last 6 weeks looking at new 5th wheels to replace our getting long of tooth Glendale Titanium. The single most interesting thing to come out of this quest is the fact that most dealers have a glut of used 5th wheel trailers and usually at pretty reasonable prices - many high end units in the 20-30K dollar range though only a few years old. Don't be afraid of hitting them with a low dollar offer once they give you some indication of what they want for a particular unit. You wont bother them a bit and you will establish a place to begin the bargaining (that's how we ended up with a 3 year old Titanium in 2009 for $20K under average low retail). Use NADA RV for an idea of low/high retail and extrapolate back (guesstimate) to trade value

.....and 73 is elderly??? Since when? Not from where I'm looking!!!!!!!

(Oh and we ended up with a 2014 Montana 343RL - 4 slides 37+ feet)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #14

I'm full-timing in a Jayco Designer 3530RK. No issues here.
Eldogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, full time