Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
Question 5th wheel hight

Can anyone tell me what the clearance should be, between the bed rail and the under side of the 5th camper ? so you won't hit the bed rail and cause damage to it or the camper

M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
6 inches is considered minimum.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Our 5er has about 6 inches and I have no problems
Thane & Sharon
shortlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
6" minimum - another inch or two for insurance if you can get it and still have the 5th wheel towing relatively level.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Conventional wisdom is you need 6" clearance for pavement and 8" or more clearance for off road.

I had about 5" clearance, but I also had dings on the top of the bed on both sides. Didn't hurt the trailer, but definitely bent the top of the bed. Caused by turning while crosssing a ditch or dip.

If you stay on the pavement and don't turn while crossing dips or ditches, then 6" should be good. But lots of streets have a drainage dip between the roadway and the service station or shopping center lot, so turning into one of those places is when I needed more than 5".

If you don't have at least 6" while the trailer is level front to rear, then you must either raise the trailer or lower the truck. I had one trailer that had to be raised by "flipping the axles" so it would ride level behind a 4x2 SuperDuty. You don't literally turn the axles over, but you move the spring perches from under the axle to over the axle. That raised the trailer about 3 to 4 inches. And caused us to have to buy one step more so old folks could climb into the 5er.

If your tow vehicle is a 4x4, you may have 4" blocks in the rear suspension. On a SuperDuty, you can change those blocks for 2" blocks and lower the back of the truck about 2". Experience says you cannot have less than 2' blocks in a SuperDuty 4x4 because of driveline alignment, so you can't lower the truck to make it the same height as a 4x2.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have towed a 5er with a minimum of 5" and no problems. I prefer to keep 6" as the minimum.

The 5er needs to be level as well.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
Lots of possibilities/combinations that can cause clearance problems even with the 6" spacing. My 350 and now my 450 have plenty of clearance EXCEPT when turning/backing sharply, worse if uneven surface--the Morryde pin box has a flange on it that will contact my bed cover rails in this situation that I have to carefully monitor. Raising the trailer to its highest level helped. If I did not have the Retrax cover, I don't think the pin box would hit the bed itself.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
clearence for 5th wheel

Thanks for the info. I will keep at least 6"

M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote