Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #15

I have the pull rite 16K. LOVE IT. Makes pulling so easy with backing and turning. I have a short bed so it was a must.

Good luck in your search.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #16

curt q20

i too have the curt q20. i have a dually silverado 3500hd. i have no complaints about this hitch. i got the hitch, rails & install for $879. also got a curt hat (lol). i trust this hitch.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #17

I have a Robin Industries 16k hitch... Its ok, if I had to do it all over again I'd probably get a B&W.
Anyway, I posted a picture in case you do get something with rails. I had my bed Rhino lined before the hitch install and I had a neat idea in which the Rhino guy didn't charge extra!
He hung the rails up and sprayed them too for protection and it works great. Where the hitch mounts to the rails, I had to chisel that section out and to the metal for the proper fit but I don't have scratched up rusted rails
I actually don't mind the rails because they help with strapping stuff down and I'm never concerned with hauling sheetrock because I'm a contractor with a 16' box truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120603_172235.png
Views:	100
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	21869  
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #18

B&W Companion Hitch

Hello all, i was hoping to get some help on the B&W hitch. I just bought a 2006 dodge 3500 mega DRW short box with the B&W turnover in it. Will the Companion Hitch work with this set up and do any of you have issues turning? I am hitching it to a Jayco 291RLTS with extended pin box. Thank you for the help
Old 07-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Will the B&W companion 5th wheel hitch work with the existing B&W turnoverball gooseneck? Yes.

Will this combination allow the trailer to contact the cab? None of us can answer that. It depends on where the installer located the gooseneck relative to the rear axle, how the uprights on your companion 5th wheel hitch are adjusted fore/aft, the configuration of the front of your 5th wheel, the width of your 5th wheel, use of an extended pin box, etc. All of these define the geometry between the front of the 5th wheel and the truck cab. Personally, based on the experience of other 3rd generation Dodge short bed owners with the B&W, I suspect that it will hit the cab corners, but in your case the proof is in the pudding.

That's why my B&W is in a long bed truck.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergies Ride View Post
Hello all, i was hoping to get some help on the B&W hitch. I just bought a 2006 dodge 3500 mega DRW short box with the B&W turnover in it. Will the Companion Hitch work with this set up and do any of you have issues turning? I am hitching it to a Jayco 291RLTS with extended pin box. Thank you for the help
Measure the width of the trailer. Now measure from the center of hitch to the back window of the cab, if that number is less than 1/2 the width of the trailer, then yes contact is possible. The B&W has small amount of fore-aft adjustment, but not much. An extended pin box will increase your turning arc a bit, but simple geometry will catch up to you if you try to go into a 90* jackknife. That being said, I can crank my SB around to where the trailer axles are all twisted up uncomfortably and I still have some clearance. As long as the site slopes down from the road that is. It's a pain, but so is trying to park a long bed crew cab in my small garage.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a B&W in a Ram 3500 long-bed. Great hitch. We also have a Bakflip G2 cover on the truck. When ready to pull, flip the cover, connect the 5r, and roll. The B&W is designed so I have plenty of clearance when Bakflip is closed. Longbed, well..no worries about cab hitting. On the short beds, like stated, do the measurements. If it looks like it might hit, check out "slider" hitches. I don't have any experience with those, but someone here will. Best of travels!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
Measure the width of the trailer. Now measure from the center of hitch to the back window of the cab, if that number is less than 1/2 the width of the trailer, then yes contact is possible.
Agreed, but it's a little more complex than that. If the front cap of the RV has blocky, squared-off corners, the corner of the 5th wheel can hit the cab before one ever gets to a 90 degree angle where 5th wheel width would determine interference. Changes in relative elevation between the truck and 5th wheel throw another wicked variable (angularity) into the equation. Some short bed users report contact when turning while driving through a deep dip, for example.

Some newer 5th wheels claim to be "short bed towable" with rounded and recessed corners on the front cap, but that doesn't eliminate the width issue.

My point - there ain't no simple answer regarding whether or not the 5th wheel will contact the cab.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC

Agreed, but it's a little more complex than that. If the front cap of the RV has blocky, squared-off corners, the corner of the 5th wheel can hit the cab before one ever gets to a 90 degree angle where 5th wheel width would determine interference. Changes in relative elevation between the truck and 5th wheel throw another wicked variable (angularity) into the equation. Some short bed users report contact when turning while driving through a deep dip, for example.

Some newer 5th wheels claim to be "short bed towable" with rounded and recessed corners on the front cap, but that doesn't eliminate the width issue.

My point - there ain't no simple answer regarding whether or not the 5th wheel will contact the cab.

Rusty
X2. I tow with a rounded cap on short bed. I opted for the slider just in case but have yet to use it. Rather have it than need it.
Beausdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #24

I use the B & W Companion Turnover ball hitch. Hitch is rated up to 18K easy to remove when you need to remoce it. Make sure you torque the bolts down to specs. You can go to you tube and watch an installation of the B & W hitch. Its really easy to install.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #25

Thank you for the replies, we hocked up at the TV dealer friday after i put the B&W companion in. I installed it at the furthest back and highest position. All went well and was able to back into one tough site for the weekend. I will move forwards though to get more weight on the front axel. Our trailer has the normal extended pin box. One note to self after installation is buy a good torque wench! I bought a harbor freight one that over torqued the top bolt and bent my new hitch.
Thanks again everone
Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 AM   #26

also check the torque on all bolts after your first time using it.... just to be on safe side. When you install it you have to torque the top bolt first with the other 4 loose. Top bolt torques to 40 ft lbs. The other 4 bolts torque to 80 ft lbs. Just make sure you torque the top bolt first. Also when using a torque wrench tighten the bolt to be torqued slow. You can miss the click of the wrench if you tighten to fast.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
EXCELLENT advice!!! When I installed mine, got it all torqued down, pulled three trips, then went to take the hitch out (don't remember why exactly). Imagine my goosebumps when I found a couple of the bolts were loose! Visions of trailer letting go, pulling the truck tailgate off, crashing off side of the road, or worse, crossing traffic and crashing. Needless to say, I check the bolts torque BEFORE EVERY HOOKUP. Maybe I'm still a little paranoid, but I sure feel safer. And the goosebumps have subsided. LOL! Safe travels to ya!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:55 PM   #28

after my first trip pulling with the Companion which was round trip 400 miles. I got home and the next day checked the torque on bolts and mine were a little loose also. Its always best to check them only takes about a minute or to and is you life line going down the road