Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #1

Thumbs down 5th wheel hitch!

I have a Curt 16E slider hitch and I have a new 3500HD SRW. I want to get rid of the slider hitch because I have a long bed truck now. The slider has more moving parts and chucks and clanks around when towing. I was wondering if anyone out there have any recommendations on a hitch-single jaw or double jaw. And what make. I do like the Curts, they look pretty rugged. Thanks.
ttspff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
When we had our fivers we always used Reese. Never had any trouble with them.

Jerry
Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #3

Take a look at the Pro Series 20K. It has jaws, not a locking bar. It's a quality hitch and it's priced right. IMO, choosing a hitch is one of the most important decisions we all have to make, but some of the hitches out there are way over priced. Also, I like that the Pro Series lever doesn't stick up over the truck bed rails. This gives you the ability to install a roll-up style bed cover.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Take a look at B&W Companion with turnover ball. will leave the bed of the truck clear you take the hitch out. A great quality hitch and made in the USA.
Easy four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I'm using a Curt Q20 - 20,000 lb. It is one great hitch, and will fit any standard rails. I got mine on line compleate with rails for under $700 back in September of 2011. Had a trailer place install it and for under $1000 I was going down the road with my fiver.
I don't think you can beat a Curt.....just my nickel......
Old 05-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
If you have the dough, I would go with one of the air ride hitches like Trail Saver. It can really smooth out the ride and you can get a Binkley head (double jaws). When not in use, just let the air out and your bed cover (roll n lock, roll up, whatever) will fit.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #7

I am also a user of the B&W companion hitch. I have been well satisfied with it. It is a two piece unit so removing from the bed isn't a problem for me.
Andyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Without knowing what size hitch you are looking for I would either recommend Reese as they have a selection is sizes and mounting options. If you are looking for a larger rated hitch, check out Trailsaver at Rigid Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitches for Reese Hitch Rails... .
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I've used the same B&W Companion hitch since 2001 in 2 different trucks. It mounts in the B&W Turnoverball gooseneck hitch receiver and gives you a 30K gooseneck hitch, an 18K double pivot, jaw type 5th wheel hitch and a clean bed floor when neither is needed. More info HERE.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttspff View Post
I have a Curt 16E slider hitch and I have a new 3500HD SRW. I want to get rid of the slider hitch because I have a long bed truck now. The slider has more moving parts and chucks and clanks around when towing. I was wondering if anyone out there have any recommendations on a hitch-single jaw or double jaw. And what make. I do like the Curts, they look pretty rugged. Thanks.
just want to say if you get a slider be sure to have the contact plate welded on. we did not and just screwed it on with 6 bolts. It came off on our way out of town and had to have a welder come and put on. Thank god it did not do any damage to the silder or the 5th wheel hitch. Things could of truned out worse way worse. the boltsl on the plate got sheered off while we were moving. OMG I got so scared after that. just a wise worming.
lv2bgoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlcal View Post
Take a look at the Pro Series 20K. It has jaws, not a locking bar. It's a quality hitch and it's priced right. IMO, choosing a hitch is one of the most important decisions we all have to make, but some of the hitches out there are way over priced. Also, I like that the Pro Series lever doesn't stick up over the truck bed rails. This gives you the ability to install a roll-up style bed cover.
I settled on the Pro 20K also. It is the lowest priced hitch that has all of the features that I wanted.

You didn't mention what year your 3500 is, but for some of the newer ones, Reese has an "outboard" installation kit that moves all of the connections to the outside of the truck's frame rails. See this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/5th-w...ll-124800.html

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have a Pull-Rite because it came with the rig package.(good hitch) What I don't like is the rails in the bed. I will probably change to a B&W Companion at some point.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #13

I have the B&W Companion and for my money there is no better hitch out there. Outstanding product, made by an outstanding American company. Nice tight connection with no play or slop what so ever.

Best of luck in your choice.

Steve
57 Panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #14

what do the air rides for for you? do they eliminate the slop and clank ?
Raly
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote