Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

5th wheel hitch

What is the best hitch for hauling a Cougar Lite with a 6 1/2 foot bed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

There is no best hitch. It just depends on how mucj you want to spend.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Curt Q20 fro 4years now and am very satisfied with it. Can be gotten from Amazon and also in a 16 K instead of the 20K I have. Your choice, the 16K being less money than the 20K by 100-150 $. Get it with the rail and bracket set included, it will be a little less than buying separate.
Good luck.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #4

Several years ago I went through literally months of searching reviews and information/recommendations and talking to various owners about hitches and ended up getting a B&W turnover and Companion 5th wheel hitch based upon many positive reviews. If I were searching today, I would probably end up with the same setup, I really like it.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
Several years ago I went through literally months of searching reviews and information/recommendations and talking to various owners about hitches and ended up getting a B&W turnover and Companion 5th wheel hitch based upon many positive reviews. If I were searching today, I would probably end up with the same setup, I really like it.
I agree the B&W turnover bed hitch coupled with the Anderson Hitch is the way to go. The Anderson Hitch fits over the B&W ball and only weighs 75#. When not towing remove the Anderson Hitch, turn over the B&W ball and you have a flat bed in your PC with no rails. Do a YouTube search on Anderson 5th wheel hitches.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

I like the Curt Q series hitches and the B&W Patriot 16K hitch--both mounted on rails.

The B&W they're talking about above is the Companion, and it's mounted on a 2 5/16" trailer ball that's mounted from underneath your truck bed. Not everyone has need for such a hitch unless they're hauling horses or stock trailers.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:32 AM   #7

I have a Ford F150 FX4 with a 5.5 box. You may want to investigate the Reese Sidewinder. It's a perfect solution and designed for short box trucks. You install a standard 5th wheel hitch based on your trailers GVWR. The Sidewinder is a pin box replacement. It's pretty amazing and far better than any slider.
Technobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
IC2

Any of the major brands are just fine, probably with a slider, and will be up to hauling that Cougar. It amounts to what you can find locally or can 'net order for what you are willing to pay. My sig has what I feel is best for my use but will not be the most economical way if you don't already have either their turn over chassis goose neck hitch or the Ford/Dodge 5er option (GM/Chebbie & Toyota evidently haven't gotten 'the word' yet)

B & W Trailer Hitches | Trailer, Tow & Truck Hitches
Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #9

Quiet, rattle free, high quality = B&W
Old 06-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #10

I currently have a Curt and am happy with it, but FYI if considering a sidewinder it is a no-go with a Curt.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #11

I have a Pullrite Superglide in a 6.5' box and it is awesome! I would never, ever purchase a Reese product. I needed the adapter plate for the truck. The plate was shipped without the locking bolts. The dealer called Reese customer service to see if they (dealer) had made a mistake. CSR titled and said that Reese must have not packaged them. They didn't offer to send the parts! Wasted on night in a hotel, wasted two days vacation, 3 hour drive each way. We were not happy campers.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #12

The B&W Companion hitches have a 2" fore/aft adjustment that can help with short beds. The B&W 3300 works with the Ford fifth wheel prep pucks and is cheaper than the Reese. I think there is one for the RAM pucks as well.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish146 View Post
What is the best hitch for hauling a Cougar Lite with a 6 1/2 foot bed
"Best" really depends on what you're looking for and how much money you want to spend in my opinion. Best hitch for towing smoothly and probably the best built, I'd say Hensley TS3 or similar. If you want a slider hitch the Pullrite is great. But, it's the only slider hitch I've used and it's automatic which I prefer if I need a slider hitch. I used a Curt Q20 for a short period and I was very happy with it, especially how easy it was to connect and disconnect the trailer. The Curt was much smoother starting and stopping than the Pullrite from my experience but maybe that's just part of a slider hitch. People seem to love the B&W hitches but I have never used one.

Saying all of that, there is no comparison between my current Hensley TS3 and the other hitches I have used. I don't plan on ever using any other hitch and it is built like a tank. Starting and stopping is very smooth with no slack with the jaws around the pin. Towing is a huge improvement and you can see the hitch moving around like crazy and not feel one thing with the hitch absorbing the movement. It's very heavy and it's the only drawback to me but I have a hoist if I need to take it our of the truck so no lifting. I bought mine used at a great price which was great because they are very expensive new. I have video of the hitch working and I need to post it some time, it's pretty impressive to me seeing how much movement there is.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
The B&W Companion hitches have a 2" fore/aft adjustment that can help with short beds. The B&W 3300 works with the Ford fifth wheel prep pucks and is cheaper than the Reese. I think there is one for the RAM pucks as well.
RVK3600 25K towing with 6,500# pin. Works well with the RAM factory puck system.

Tags
5th wheel