Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
5th wheel hitch and bed cover

Any recommendations for a truck bed cover to protect suitcases, etc., that works with never removing the hitch? I'm thinking of when I'm not RVing but have a quick business trip. Also would help protect the hitch as well when not in use I guess.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #2

Truxedo. It's like a tanneau cover but uses Velcro instead of button snaps

Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #3

I like the Truxedo or Agri-Cover tonneau covers. I had the same Truxedo on my last 3 F150s, works well in the cold and easy to operate. When I purchased the F350 the previous owner installed a Roll-n-Lock cover, Nice product, but the canister takes up too much space in the front of the bed. I wanted to be able to have room for a generator or fuel tank, ect so I sold (gave away) the Roll-n-Lock for $350 and just found a used Truxedo for $125. I just needed something to provide alittle protection for luggage ect, so the soft cover works well. They don't have the canister to take up space in the front of the bed, and can be removed in seconds by losening two bolts and lifting off the cover. I caution you to not buy a snap style cover. I have on on my daily driver 1995 FlareSide Ford as it's the only cover still available for it. Having to remove and store the bows when the cover is open is a hassle, and forget about getting it snapped shut in the winter. It does the job, but If I could have ordered a Truxedo or Agri-Cover for it, I would have.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #4

For an 8 foot bed I have a RETRAX PRO. All I have to do is flip my hitch handle and then roll the cover shut. The latch is on the Drivers side and I can reach it standing on the ground. It is NOT SPRING LOADED so it does not slam forward into the can when you let go of it like the Roll N Lock. The Retrax locks in any position from shut to wide open and anywhere in between! This works well with my Dodge Crew Cab DRW 3500. They are developed in Snow country and are made for a nice snow load without hurting it!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:42 PM   #5

I have the Access roll up, works great. Easy to use.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #6

KZ RV Club
I have an Extang Revolution. No snaps or velco.
Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #7

KZ RV Club
Here's what the Revo looks like.

Rolled out.....

You just push the tab on each side to release....

I gets secured by these bars that slip underneath the bed rails on each side....

Rolls up and gets secured with these two straps.....

Rolled up and out of the way.....

Excuse the mess, got home a little late last night.....

Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

Another vote for access by agri
I installed myself in 15 minutes with basic tools and its one handed to release. Seals tight, looks great, and very easy to use.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #9

After doing some research I went with a Fold-a-Cover. Mostly because when I have items in the bed I can lock it. Also, don't have to remove it to use my hitch.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #10

Another vote for TruXedo TruXport Roll-Up Tonneau. I installed mine in 1/2 hr and it looks great! Couldn't be happier.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckGuy616 View Post
After doing some research I went with a Fold-a-Cover. Mostly because when I have items in the bed I can lock it. Also, don't have to remove it to use my hitch.
Does your tailgate lock also?

I added a locking tailgate pull to my tailgate and with the Truxedo tonneau cover the bed is not accessible unless the cover is cut open with a knife. But I have found out of site out of mind for most people.

Jim W.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Does your tailgate lock also?

I added a locking tailgate pull to my tailgate and with the Truxedo tonneau cover the bed is not accessible unless the cover is cut open with a knife. But I have found out of site out of mind for most people.

Jim W.

My tailgate doesn't lock actually, but the cover comes with a footmans loop that attaches to the tailgate and a metal tab on the bottom of the cover which prevents the tailgate from opening if the cover is not open. So when it is locked the whole bed is secure.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
My new 2013 350 came with the Truxedo TruxPort from Ford and I HATE it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will pull it off and get me another tonno-pro trifold...

the truxport has a flimsy cover and only about 2" of velcro to tie it forward...
It just looks like an accident waiting to happen when that velcro comes loose
and the bed cover goes flapping against my 5th wheel at 60 mph !!!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #14

Pace Edwards Jacket Rabbit full metal. Expensive roll up with lock and steps every few feet. Notched to fit 37 gallon TransferFlow 37 gallon in bed tank under top.