Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
I received an email from Butch and he will have more stock available around the first of March.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #72

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Was able to install mine today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch Kit Installed.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	41233  

Old 07-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #73

Newmar Owners Club
Still none for my Q20. Sure wish he would come up with one........
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #74

See my post #55 on this thread from 10/30/12. I will gladly eat some crow pie now! I dropped my 5ver and this thing saved my bacon. It worked just as advertised, caught the king pin and stopped the ensuing disaster dead in it's tracks. Didn't even bend the catch bar. Don't ask me how I managed to drop the 5ver because I really have no excuse.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #75

5th Wheel'er

Not ever owning a fifth wheel'er before, this was the one thing that really had me concerned. When I heard of Butch's King Pin Catcher, I immediately sent off for mine. It has already more than paid for itself in just knowing I have it on there. Anyone that spends 50K for a truck and 5'er, another fifty bucks is nothing. If you live close by to me, I will even come out and help you install the darn thing:
Dallas, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
See my post #55 on this thread from 10/30/12. I will gladly eat some crow pie now! I dropped my 5ver and this thing saved my bacon. It worked just as advertised, caught the king pin and stopped the ensuing disaster dead in it's tracks. Didn't even bend the catch bar. Don't ask me how I managed to drop the 5ver because I really have no excuse.
Bill
Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Yaaa Whoooo, Just checked his site and he now has one for Curt Q5 16125, Q5 16126 Q 20, Q 24.
Now I have to call him to get a price, get an order out and get one.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #77

Dropped the fiver before I had the bed saver. $7000 damage to truck. Covered by insurance. I installed Butch's bed saver after that disaster. Never had to use it, but I did test it. With the landing gear up enough to get the weight off. I pulled the release and let the saver catch the pin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1367786108814.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	46318   Click image for larger version

Name:	1367786009258.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	46319  

Old 04-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #78

Forest River Owners Club
99-am.star,

Did you ever get the latch kit for the Curt Q20. Just curious how it went with the Q20.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaderguy View Post
99-am.star,

Did you ever get the latch kit for the Curt Q20. Just curious how it went with the Q20.

Thanks
No, I have not gotten it yet. We have been very busy since last camping season, and just noticed he is saying he now has one for the Q20. Hopefully I will get too that sometime later in the summer. My wife is still
working and we have not decided how much we will get out this year. We are trying to save up enough of her vacation time to go to Branson for a reunion of my military friends. I would love to have enough time for us to take 2-3 weeks traveling after the reunion, so we have to watch all our pennies. But I'm sure by the end of the year I will get one.
Thanks for asking, and I will post when I get it done.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #80

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the update....I just went ahead and ordered one for my Q20 and it should be here by Friday. I'll try to get it installed before leaving next Wed for a trip up the Oregon coast. The cost was $69.95 with free shipping.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
Dropped the fiver before I had the bed saver. $7000 damage to truck. Covered by insurance. I installed Butch's bed saver after that disaster. Never had to use it, but I did test it. With the landing gear up enough to get the weight off. I pulled the release and let the saver catch the pin.
Were you using a B&W Companion when you dropped your fiver?...because in all my forum perusing, I have never seen a dropped fiver from a Companion...while anything is possible, the Companion mechanism makes a mis-hitch difficult to accomplish...not busting on anyone but adding to my knowledge base...

In the spirit of full disclosure, when we bought our fiver and added the Companion to the Turnover Ball equipped truck, we were new to the fiver world...and I bought and installed a Blue Ox Bed Saver...after using the Companion for 5 seasons...I would not install a BedSaver on a new one..

Regards
Old 04-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricatic View Post
Were you using a B&W Companion when you dropped your fiver?...because in all my forum perusing, I have never seen a dropped fiver from a Companion...while anything is possible, the Companion mechanism makes a mis-hitch difficult to accomplish...not busting on anyone but adding to my knowledge base...

In the spirit of full disclosure, when we bought our fiver and added the Companion to the Turnover Ball equipped truck, we were new to the fiver world...and I bought and installed a Blue Ox Bed Saver...after using the Companion for 5 seasons...I would not install a BedSaver on a new one..

Regards
I too am wondering the same thing. I have tried to imagine how that could happen with a Companion because if there's a way to drop a 5th wheel with one, I will probably find it. When I first got mine I even lowered the LG and tried to unlock the jaws and pull out but couldn't do it, just to test and see if it could be accidentally done.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #83

See my post #74 above. I did it with a B&W and it is not a record I am proud to hold, being the one and only person to drop a 5th Wheel with a B&W. To this day I cannot figure out how I did it or what exactly happened when I did it. I keep a travel diary and the day it happened I wrote down everything I could about the incident so I would not forget anything as I am apt to do. It appeared to be hitched, locking handle was closed, pin in. After it dropped out the king pin was resting against the Hitch Latch Bar itself and the locking handle was still closed, pin in, jaws closed. The only thing I can think of was that I must of high hitched somehow, at the time it did not appear to be sitting high over the slide plate. Like I said, I was in a hurry (no excuse) and the the hitch latch kit worked 4.0.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
See my post #74 above. I did it with a B&W and it is not a record I am proud to hold, being the one and only person to drop a 5th Wheel with a B&W. To this day I cannot figure out how I did it or what exactly happened when I did it. I keep a travel diary and the day it happened I wrote down everything I could about the incident so I would not forget anything as I am apt to do. It appeared to be hitched, locking handle was closed, pin in. After it dropped out the king pin was resting against the Hitch Latch Bar itself and the locking handle was still closed, pin in, jaws closed. The only thing I can think of was that I must of high hitched somehow, at the time it did not appear to be sitting high over the slide plate. Like I said, I was in a hurry (no excuse) and the the hitch latch kit worked 4.0.
Bill
...thanks for the clarification...glad your Butch's device worked well...I have studied your phenomena at length and am still baffled as to how the locking handle could close completely so the lock pin could be inserted...

for the non-Companion owner's benefit, with the Companion, if the kingpin is not exactly in position to lock correctly, the larger diameter of the bottom ring of the king pin will not allow the handle to close completely...this prevents the lock pin from being inserted...if you are completely clear of the locking jaws(too high), the jaws will not contact the king pin and the locking handle will not even move towards the closed position...

but back to the original reason for this thread...Butch's simple but effective design surely is a cost effective insurance policy for those brain dead moments we all seem to have once in a while...

Regards