Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch puck system

Any thoughts on the 5th wheel hitch underbody puck system? Is it a good setup compared to using rails? Is it as secure as using rails? Anybody have any problems with these systems?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
Any thoughts on the 5th wheel hitch underbody puck system? Is it a good setup compared to using rails? Is it as secure as using rails? Anybody have any problems with these systems?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice.
I would say it's more secure than rails. In the case of my system, it's mounted directly to the frame. You also don't have the movement from pins, instead you have cam locks. The cam locks are also HUGE, so I would imagine they'd be a higher rating than pins.

The biggest drawback is the lack of hitch choices. If you want a slider, you're pretty much relegated to Curt. B&W makes probably the best hitch for the OEM systems. I use the Ram hitch, so quiet.

Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #3

I was looking at the Reese hitch that would fit with the factory Ford puck system. Is this a good hitch or should I look at others that are better?
snickers104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I've had the Reese hitch with the Ford under bed mount since 2011. No problems at all. Just be sure to get a 12" teflon lube plate as specified by Reese vs. the 9" version. The smaller disc allows chance of scratching the hitch surface which is really just a cosmetic issue.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

The B&W line of hitches are hands down the best on the market. Yes they usually cost a bit more but they are worth it. No silly color coding on the handle, just a simple solid latching system with 1" thick machined jaws that fully capture the kingpin. Oh they are 100% Made In USA. Almost all other hitches are either Mexico or China. PullRite and Andersen are USA.

For a slider the B&W is a great hitch, use it with a Demco uS Made picture frame adapter for the puck system.

The puck system is rock solid.

Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:34 PM   #6

Reese, Curt, Demco and B&W all make hitches to fit the Ford prep system and probably RAM prep system as well. Reese may be the most expensive.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had the underbed system added to my truck as we also use a TC and need the flat floor. We use a picture frame adaptor with a BD3 air hitch. A bit overkill for my combo, but I didn't want tp beat up the fiver too badly.

Rick.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I have used both, the previous truck had rail system with a PullRite hitch, the newer truck had the puck system and I chose the B&W Companion Hitch. Great hitch and I do prefer the puck system much better.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #9

I had the rail system in my Ram 1500 a Reese Hitch. I now have a Ram 2500 with the Pucket System and I think the Hitch is better secured. I bought the B&W Companion RVK 3600. To me it is a great hitch.
Dan warnock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #10

I use the factory puck system with a Curt Q20. Great setup, easy install and removal. Very secure. I like mine very much and have had zero problems.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #11

B&w puck for me. Rock solid
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers104 View Post
I was looking at the Reese hitch that would fit with the factory Ford puck system. Is this a good hitch or should I look at others that are better?
I had the 18000 Reese hitch installed when I purchased my 2011 F350. It has worked perfectly.

One thing I would reccommend is installing small padlocks on the hitch pins to prevent pranksters from opening them. you may not notice and drive away having a large disaster on the next bump in the road.

Tags
5th wheel