Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #15

Welcome!
First, what is the GVWR and GCWR of your truck?
Having single rear wheels limits what you can pull.
Second, do they have the factory fifth-wheel hitch stuff (under the bed) worked out for the 2014 Rams?
I thought that was all still a work in progress...
Happy hunting!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:07 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
Second, do they have the factory fifth-wheel hitch stuff (under the bed) worked out for the 2014 Rams?
I thought that was all still a work in progress...
The "hitch and go" gooseneck/5th wheel prep package is an available option, although the factory gooseneck ball and 5th wheel hitch were in short supply initially. Like anything else just introduced by a manufacturer, the aftermarket hitch suppliers took some time to develop and have available "drop in" products. It appears that Reese and B&W have 5th wheel hitches available for the Ram factory mounts (just checked with a Google search); others may as well.

Although all GVWRs have been increased for 2013/2014, the single rear wheel (SRW) configuration is ultimately going to limit the weight of 5th wheel one can tow due to pin weight versus GVWR limitations. Since the dually has a higher GVWR (and a different frame and suspension), it can handle higher pin weights than the SRW truck. Also, because of EPA corporate average fuel economy edicts, the 2013/2014 Cummins-powered SRW Rams are only available with a 3.42 axle ratio; duallies have a choice of 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 with GCWR increasing in proportion to axle ratio.

OP, are you from the Cypress, TX (Harris County) area as well?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #17

I wish I had been smart enough to ask this question when I purchased our fifth wheel. I had been a motorhomer for 30 years before going into the fifth wheel. I made a big mistake - - I bought a "normal" hitch like most everyone else. My first trip was horrible with all the herky jerky and banging around. I was ready to sell everything and go back to a MH if this was the way of the fiver. Someone suggested getting an air hitch. Oh my goodness, what a difference. Between putting on MorRydy IS suspension and then, after a few months of still a lot of banging, putting on the Air Safe hitch, I was now understanding why people brag about the air hitch. It was an expensive and bothersome learning experience. They are more expensive but worth every penny of it. Much easier on the frame of the fiver and much easier on you.

Bob
Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Although I'm sure that an air hitch with fore/aft compliance will deal with the surging and chucking, switching to a Demco GlideRide pinbox extension took care of it to our satisfaction as used with our B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. Surging and chucking is no longer a problem for us.

Rusty
Old 01-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #19

I have had both the Curt 25K and Reese 22K. Both had their strengths and weaknesses. The Curt had no way of locking the hitch lock handle. In my opinion a very stupid overlook on their part. I was able to fix that with a lock I made up myself that consisted of a bent piece of 1/8 steel and a rivit and drilling one hole. that fixed the lock but the biggest disappointment was the hitch head and base do not separate for easy removal. Try lifing out of the bed a hitch head that weighs in excess of 135 Lbs of steel. It was impossible without assistance. I sold the Curt head for 300$ and bought another Reese 22K hitch.
The Reese head breaks down to two pieces making removal a chore but a doable thing for one person. I liked the Curts wider stance in the bed and its sheer mass but that total mass was also why I sold it. They both use the same rails. Both hitches tilted in all 4 directions and both towed and hitched and unhitched equally well. For me, it simply came down to how easy it was to take out and put the hitch back in the truck. I do not full time, I'm still working so, I need my truck bed available when I'm not towing.
Go look at the hiches before buying. I didn't. I just called the dealer I odered the 98 3500 6.7 liter 4 by dually truck from and told them to spray in a bed liner, put in the largest 5er hitch they could find, and install a brake controller with side steps. They put in the Curt along with all the other stuff so, I picked it up ready to tow.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #20

Just watched the video on a curt 24k and it showed the lock on it.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #21

The Reese Elite has a pin that fits down in a hole that lines up when it is good to lock. This is the only hitch I have had so I do not know how the others lock.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:08 PM   #22

I was referring to poster that said he had one and it didn't have a way to lock handle. It plainly shows it on the video.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Hi; a questions for you to answer.
1. Did you get the tow package in the 3500?

The reason I asked is the 3500 tow package has the power outlet for the 5th wheel trailer in the bed also the frame has the mounting points for the 5er hitch and or goose neck already installed. It seems that the B&W companion hitch works well with the RAM 5th wheel package.

I checked the Turbo Diesel register. Com site for this information you may want to check this out too. Here is the link for TDR.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Do not let them weld on the frame this is now 50K PSI high strength steel and you need to be careful about frame modifications.

Jim W.

Yes, I did purchase the tow package. I have been reliably informed that I could pull a house off of it's foundation.
CypressKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
The "hitch and go" gooseneck/5th wheel prep package is an available option, although the factory gooseneck ball and 5th wheel hitch were in short supply initially. Like anything else just introduced by a manufacturer, the aftermarket hitch suppliers took some time to develop and have available "drop in" products. It appears that Reese and B&W have 5th wheel hitches available for the Ram factory mounts (just checked with a Google search); others may as well.

Although all GVWRs have been increased for 2013/2014, the single rear wheel (SRW) configuration is ultimately going to limit the weight of 5th wheel one can tow due to pin weight versus GVWR limitations. Since the dually has a higher GVWR (and a different frame and suspension), it can handle higher pin weights than the SRW truck. Also, because of EPA corporate average fuel economy edicts, the 2013/2014 Cummins-powered SRW Rams are only available with a 3.42 axle ratio; duallies have a choice of 3.42, 3.73 and 4.10 with GCWR increasing in proportion to axle ratio.

OP, are you from the Cypress, TX (Harris County) area as well?

Rusty
Yes, we live in Cypress (Harris County), Texas, as well...
CypressKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM   #25

I have a Bd 3 18k rated they also make a larger one and a new smaller one. BD3 IS ABOUT$ 2300 it has air bags and shocks it will fit on standard rails. It is a little pricey but you will experience almost no chucking or jerking . The contents of your trl stay where you put them. I have had both solid and air ride 5th wheels and they are like day and nite, at least that was my experience.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:57 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a B&W that I used before the MH and it was by far built for long term use and don't think you can find a better one but that's just my 2c
Old 01-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #27

You are correct, any of the new Big Three can just about pull a house off it foundations, but pulling isn't the problem, it's the ability to carry the weight. That is the big down fall of the 250/2500 series TV and in some cases carries over into the 350/3500 SRW series.
As for hitch, don't skimp on it's ratings. You don't want to get a 15K hitch then buy a 16K RV.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
You are correct, any of the new Big Three can just about pull a house off it foundations, but pulling isn't the problem, it's the ability to carry the weight. That is the big down fall of the 250/2500 series TV and in some cases carries over into the 350/3500 SRW series.
^^^^^ This! And the weight-carrying ability (GVWR) of the tow vehicle is not even addressed in the fictitious "manufacturer's trailer tow rating" which is based only on GCWR minus an unrealistically light curb weight of the truck - a base truck with only a 150 lb driver and not even including the weight of a 5th wheel hitch. That's why it's so essential for potential RVers to do their own homework before selecting a truck or towed RV.

Rusty

Tags
5th wheel