Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #1

5th Wheel Hitch Recommendations

Happy New Year’s Eve to all! I am new to the forum and new to RVing. I have some experience traveling with my best friend in his RV’s. My wife and I bought a 2014 Ram 3500 that has 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel with an 8’ bed (no dully; no 4x4) to pull a 5th wheel. We are in the process of shopping for 5th wheels now.

I am looking for recommendations from experienced 5th wheelers on what type of hitch to install on the truck. All comments are welcome…thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #2

Typically where you buy your fiver, they will install your hitch. We have had bothe the. Reese and the Pullrite. Personally I liked the Pullrite. The Pullrite
hooked up easier. As for fivers. All depends if you will be weekenders with
weeklong vacations or Fulltimers. Mobile suites or excel is my choice for FULLTIMING. Floor plan would be first. Bit see sig. Have had both.
Mh. And Fivers.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressKat View Post
Happy New Year’s Eve to all! I am new to the forum and new to RVing. I have some experience traveling with my best friend in his RV’s. My wife and I bought a 2014 Ram 3500 that has 6.7L Cummins turbo diesel with an 8’ bed (no dully; no 4x4) to pull a 5th wheel. We are in the process of shopping for 5th wheels now.

I am looking for recommendations from experienced 5th wheelers on what type of hitch to install on the truck. All comments are welcome…thanks!

Hi; a questions for you to answer.
1. Did you get the tow package in the 3500?

The reason I asked is the 3500 tow package has the power outlet for the 5th wheel trailer in the bed also the frame has the mounting points for the 5er hitch and or goose neck already installed. It seems that the B&W companion hitch works well with the RAM 5th wheel package.

I checked the Turbo Diesel register. Com site for this information you may want to check this out too. Here is the link for TDR.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/

Do not let them weld on the frame this is now 50K PSI high strength steel and you need to be careful about frame modifications.

Jim W.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
Typically where you buy your fiver, they will install your hitch. We have had bothe the. Reese and the Pullrite. Personally I liked the Pullrite. The Pullrite
hooked up easier. As for fivers. All depends if you will be weekenders with
weeklong vacations or Fulltimers. Mobile suites or excel is my choice for FULLTIMING. Floor plan would be first. Bit see sig. Have had both.
Mh. And Fivers.
I had b&w companion in previous truck. PullRite in present truck. PullRight more trouble hooking.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #5

I really do no0t believe there is much difference in hitches. My Hyjacker has been in use since 2005 with zero issues. I think more important than brand is type. Be absolutely sure you get a double pivot hitch. Otherwise you will be changing very soon.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #6

I'm also considering hitch options... very early in the research... what is a "double pivot" hitch?

I'm guessing it pivots both side to side and forward and back while hitched tight. Is that correct?
Old 12-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #7

I'm getting a 24k Curt to tow our Teton with
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 12-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you have the factory 5th wheel hitch prep package, then you're going to be limited to the hitches that will fit the factory mounts. In the case of Ford, both Reese and B&W have hitches that will drop in. I haven't researched the 2014 Ram, but a little Googling may help you narrow the field.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to the forum!!
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We had the B&W Companion fifth wheel hitch on the truck we just traded in. It was a very good hitch and we liked the way the jaws opened and closed...no jerking on a handle and then having trouble getting the jaws open unless the truck and fifth wheel were perfectly level!
Old 12-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
welcome to the forums. When you find the 5er you want, make the hitch (and installation) part of the deal. It's like the best motor oil ...... everyone has their favorite hitch for reasons of their own. I too think that nowadays they are all about the same.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #12

B&W head stayed fairly level when disconnected. My PullRite head falls down and makes it a guess what height to set rv before backing up. Rarely do i get it right first time. Would not buy another.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJinHawaii View Post
I'm also considering hitch options... very early in the research... what is a "double pivot" hitch?

I'm guessing it pivots both side to side and forward and back while hitched tight. Is that correct?
Yep, you are correct. Not too much of an issue now, but some of the older 5th wheel hitches did not pivot side to side to help reduce stress incurred from uneven ground.

If you can afford them. The air ride hitches by Trailer Saver Air Ride Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitches for Reese Rails... are the Cadillac of them all. These ensure you get a good ride and reduce the chucking and bouncing of the 5th wheel onto the truck. They also claim less wear and tear on your 5th wheel too.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:18 PM   #14

Not enough hitch for Teton. That why 24k Curt. Have trailAire on Teton

Tags
5th wheel