Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

5th wheel hitch tripod

I am new to this. How would one use a hitch tripod when you have a hydraulic auto leveling system?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:26 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Tripod

I have one also. Used it once. It's supposed to take some movement out of the unit. Never noticed any difference. Now it's something I don't bother carrying around.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #3

I have been pretty stable without using one! The only time I noticed movement was when the jack where fully extended on Un level sites but still it wasn't much. .
Old 10-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

A wast of money

Not a needed thing in My 5er like a boat on land I had one and now I do not ..Good to go extra weight I replaced the pod with a leaf blower to clean any site that needs it....nice easy job no more rake so the Mrs.is Happy Camper also....Bushman
Old 10-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

So you auto level first, then set it up under the pin. If you go that route make sure it adjusts high enough that the legs spread out for lateral support. I see many over extended (leg pads within inches together) that offer little wobble control.
The Ultra Fab has 8" extensions free from them if not included.
Much depends on your trailer and frame type style etc. We purchased an Ultra Fab off Craig's list (cheap) that improved our last coach marginally. On our current Level-Up six point There is not a lot of difference, typically only install it for extended stays may help with the spin cycle, LOL. It is handy to lock the bicycles to under the pinbox. Probably more work than it's worth, dunno.
We like the SnapPad rubber boots on the Level-Up also.

Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

I have tried the tripod on previous 5vers and it did not make much difference. I installed steadyfast.stabilizers.com stabilizers on my 6 point level up and it takes 95% of the movement out.lossen 3 wing nuts and they go up and down with the Jack's. Best thing I have added besides disc brakes
Old 10-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Installed correctly, a tripod takes out nearly all side to side motion. Correct installation includes kicking the tripod legs outward as you rotate and tighten the tripod cup. This all takes place after you have leveled the system. Only thing with hydraulic systems where the legs are behind the rear wheels is that there's an unsupported hangover in the back. For extended stays, I carry around a Wayne's Stabilizer (old name, I think it's a Valterra product now) for the rear. But I don't normally even use that anymore since the tripod and Rotochoks take care of the majority of the motion.

I carry the tripod (the lighter weight aluminum version) in the bed of the truck behind the hitch between two pieces of 2x6 that fit in the slots on the sides of the bed. Easy to stow and install in about two minutes.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Installed correctly, a tripod takes out nearly all side to side motion. Correct installation includes kicking the tripod legs outward as you rotate and tighten the tripod cup. This all takes place after you have leveled the system. Only thing with hydraulic systems where the legs are behind the rear wheels is that there's an unsupported hangover in the back. For extended stays, I carry around a Wayne's Stabilizer (old name, I think it's a Valterra product now) for the rear. But I don't normally even use that anymore since the tripod and Rotochoks take care of the majority of the motion.

I carry the tripod (the lighter weight aluminum version) in the bed of the truck behind the hitch between two pieces of 2x6 that fit in the slots on the sides of the bed. Easy to stow and install in about two minutes.
Good points.
I will second, on a past 5'r that had a little bounce. We put a Camco alum. screw jack stand with a small wood block under the trailer's 2" receiver (trailer rear). It really steadied the cantilever over the rear axles and jacks.

Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:04 PM   #9

Mine is converted to gooseneck with the Ultimate hitch so I assume it would do me no good?
Old 10-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #10

5th wheel tripod for king-pin

I may have used mine three or four times, but I have never noticed any difference. If you have at least a four point leveling system, save your money. Mine has been put away in my shed, and will continue to collect dust.
Welcome to the RV world !
Thomas J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J. View Post
I may have used mine three or four times, but I have never noticed any difference. If you have at least a four point leveling system, save your money. Mine has been put away in my shed, and will continue to collect dust.
Welcome to the RV world !
Yes...I have 6 point leveling and gooseneck so I think it is worthless.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #12

Get rid of the tripod, get a Steadyfast system they also work with hydraulic systems. The best I've ever used. Better than JT Strongarm system. I've used just about all of them out there at one time or another, the Steadyfast is the best IMHO
Old 10-12-2016, 05:01 PM   #13

I have the Lippert 6 point system and a scissor jack on the rear. With the tripod I have 9 points on the ground not including the tires. Don't know how it could be more solid.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Don't waste your money. Tripods don't help. Maybe if you have a light trailer that moves around a lot but if your trailer has any weight to it the tripod is useless.

Tags
5th wheel