Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roothoss1282 View Post
I have a 2015 F-250 XLT with a short bed or 6'9" and still don't no if I have to have a slider?? Maybe there isn't a yes or no answer to this but you would think there would be, I mean will I ever get the truck and trailer in such a bind that the trailer will get into the cab. Seems pretty simple that if it can happen then I will get a slider but if it can't why get one. Does it all depend on what kind of trailer you get? I have not got on yet but am doing some shopping and would sure be nice to no what I am suppose to be looking for. And I no I am going to hear why take a chance but seems there should be an answer to this.
I have the 2015 F350 SB with a stardard Reese 16K hitch. My fiver has the cut away lower corner with an extended pin box. There is a decal on one of the corners that says "Max Turn Technology". That is what you need in a fifth wheel. Many of the larger full-time units don't have that, but many of the lighter (under 15K GVWR) are coming that way. I switched from a Sidewinder to a MorRyde pin box 2,000 miles ago and have had no issues.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I have the 2015 F350 SB with a stardard Reese 16K hitch. My fiver has the cut away lower corner with an extended pin box. There is a decal on one of the corners that says "Max Turn Technology". That is what you need in a fifth wheel. Many of the larger full-time units don't have that, but many of the lighter (under 15K GVWR) are coming that way. I switched from a Sidewinder to a MorRyde pin box 2,000 miles ago and have had no issues.
Thanks for getting back with me SkiSmuggs. would be nice to hear from other people that have the F-250 SB or 6'9" box. The more info the better. Thanks again
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #17

I have an F250 with the shortbed...I bought the Demco 18K autoslide as seen at the link. I have a 2002 Holiday Rambler Alumascape...when I bought it the guy threw in the hitch, which was a Reese manual slider. I could never get it to slide so I bought the Demco because the Demco needs no 'key' (capture plate) which means I can pull anything with out worrying about finding a proper capture plate.

Apparently the guy I bought the trailer from couldn't get the Reese to slide either, as both sides of his cab had the 'beauty marks' where the trailer punched his cab in - no damage to the trailer, though.

On our first trip we were in a strange town and I turned onto a street that was a dead end and I had to turn around. I had the trailer to 90°, maybe a skosh more. When we got back to the main road I told my wife the hitch just paid for itself!

Oh - watch the video in the above link to see the hitch in action. Click on the video tab at the bottom of the hitch picture.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
I bought the Demco because the Demco needs no 'key' (capture plate) which means I can pull anything with out worrying about finding a proper capture plate.
That's brilliant! I like the way they clamp to the pin box, instead of using a separate capture plate.

As for the OP's question of whether or not it's really needed... The thing about a slider in a short bed is that you don't need it until you need it. But, the one time you do need it, it'll save you the extra cost of the hitch. My $0.02 worth, get a long bed, or buy the slider. Either way, happy trails!
Army Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel