Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

5th wheel in winter

Wife and I have decided to sell our house and live fulltime in newer 5er or motorhome. We will be living in eastern Washington and continue working, which means winters in the rv. Looking for advice as to best option between 5er or motorhome. Single digits and snow in winter and 90 plus in summer but we will have full hookups.

Thanks
bookem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #2

There is only one brand I would consider wintwring in Eastern WA in. TETON. They have been out of business for several years, but are still one of the best for cold winters.
Instead of a fiver consider a park model. Better insulation, more room and less money.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:19 PM   #3

I never even considered a park model, I will have to do a lot more research I guess. Is there any that people give good reviews on?
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #4

A quality 5er should be fine , BUT , you'll need to check that the RV is usable with the slides in ; for those really cold nasty storms ; because the slide floors and walls are the weak points in the RV's insulation , and pulling them in will save energy and help keep you warmer.
Also consider a mattress warming pad for the bed, better than an electric blanket , for bad weather in an RV.

BTW: I've boondocked in a 5er at -22 and been comfortable. But that company no longer builds 5ers.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Just go look at them. Most will be at least 2x4 stud walls built like your house except smaller. Where RVs have RV appliances like toilets thst dump into a holding tank park models have residentail toilets, residental refers etc. When it gets down to the teens an RV can burn 25 gallons of propane a week at minimum inside temp. We had what I consider a very good fiver, we spent one winter in the Columbia river gorge just east of Portland. Once it got cold and using two portable heaters we were using a 25 gallon propane tank a week. Temps inside the fiver was usually mid 60s.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
There is only one brand I would consider wintwring in Eastern WA in. TETON. They have been out of business for several years, but are still one of the best for cold winters.
Instead of a fiver consider a park model. Better insulation, more room and less money.
It's good to hear that they are still thought well of. I worked as the Quality Control Inspector for Teton for a while around 2003-04. Lots of the workers hated me because I was incredibly picky, but I always felt that they should be as close to perfect as possible given the price and reputation. I finally moved on to a better job for Freightliner, but every now and then I run across a Teton and it sparks some good memories.
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:34 PM   #7

We been full timing for 9 years. Two Alfa's now a Crossroads Rushmore. In Richland Wa...yes it's gets cold here too. Teton, great choice. Alfa great choice. New models, Riverstone. Artic Fox. Good luck. PM your #. Lets chat.
Gary
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:16 PM   #8

You should check on RV lots. Availability might be short. I work at Horn Rapids RV resort here in Richland. We have 50+ people on our waiting list for full time spots. Plus 5 calls a day of people looking. 225 lots. 3/4 of them are fulltimers.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:50 AM   #9

There is no RV that will be as warm as a house.

The best insulated RVs are Outdoor RV and Artic Fox. A smaller RV is easier to heat,/cool than a big RV.

If you are not going to travel I agree with looking at a Park Model of how about a custom built Tiny House that you can have more insulation put in at build time. I am thinking you could have well built Tiny House for less money than most 5th wheels.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #10

The space I have to put it will not accommodate a tiny home. That would have been my first choice for sure. The space is at very small rv park.
Old 04-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #11

ive just wintered in single digit lows, ice, etc. Below freezing for 9 days at one stretch in January. My teton handled it no prob. 9-11 gallons a week. 2 furnaces never below 68 inside. Slides out life was fine. Hope you got plenty of truck to move it
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
ive just wintered in single digit lows, ice, etc. Below freezing for 9 days at one stretch in January. My teton handled it no prob. 9-11 gallons a week. 2 furnaces never below 68 inside. Slides out life was fine. Hope you got plenty of truck to move it
I only have 1 ton srw so might be a little heavy. Lol
Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #13

the smaller tetons are moveable.. the sunrise for example. or look at a NewMar Kountry Aire 5th wheel. I had one previous it did great in cold weather too. It handled winter in Minneapolis easily.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookem15 View Post
Wife and I have decided to sell our house and live fulltime in newer 5er or motorhome. We will be living in eastern Washington and continue working, which means winters in the rv. Looking for advice as to best option between 5er or motorhome. Single digits and snow in winter and 90 plus in summer but we will have full hookups.

Thanks
The Top 5 Best Cozy Fifth Wheel Campers For Winter:

DRV Luxury Suites Mobile Suites Fifth Wheel
Redwood RV Redwood Fifth Wheel
Coachmen Chaparral Fifth Wheel
Northwood Mountain Fox Travel Trailer
Highland Ridge Open Range Travel Trailer

https://www.rvingplanet.com/blog/top...ampers-winter/
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, winter