Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
5th wheel insurance

So we've got a new Toy Hauler - and I haven't owned one before. My Class-C was insured with Progressive, when trying to change the policy they told me it's a new policy "type" - so I lose my "seniority status".

Looking into it a little more, it appears that anything I tow is covered by my USAA automobile policy. I assume, that's collision and liability.

I believe that the 5th wheel is covered under my home owner policy while parked at home, although I assume that my 'house" deductible would apply.

So I'm a bit confused as to why I need to pay an additional $500 (Progressive) - $1000 (Good Sam) per year to get a policy. The only uncovered contingency I can think of is that the 5th wheel is disconnected and is damaged or burns to the ground, that sort of thing...

I'll insure it.. Just seems that I'm paying for policies that largely cover the same thing...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:18 PM   #2

Your USAA automobile policy provides for liability coverage on towed vehicles, but collision and comprehensive insurance will have to be purchased separately.

And 5th wheel is not covered under your home owner policy while parked at home.

Unfortunately, fifth wheel and toy hauler comp and collision coverage is relatively expensive due to a high volume of accidents and due to the high cost of fixing damages to RV's.

I assure you that you're not paying for duplicate coverage. It's just that full coverage on RV's is quite expensive.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks..

So USAA isn't available until Monday, but per this thread:

"Both my 5er and my TT are covered by my USAA "Texas Personal Auto Policy". The RVs are listed as separate "vehicles", but they are covered for collision only when being towed by one of my other vehicles that is also listed in the policy. For the 2012 TT, $500 deductible collision and comprehensive costs me $89.64 per year. There is no separate charge for liability for the trailers, since that is covered by the liability coverage on the tow vehicle. "

I was always under the impression that towing a flatbed - the flatbed and it's contents were covered, but maybe I'm wrong.. Or maybe that doesn't apply to a 5th wheel.

Now I don't have it listed as a separate vehicle - and maybe things have changed as USAA outsources to Progressive for stuff like this, as the post was circa 2012.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:41 AM   #4

Yup, liability is covered under your automobile policy. However you do need collision and comprehensive coverage added separately. Most homeowners insurance policies won't cover the contents of your 5th wheel; however, even if it did I would highly advise against it as homeowners insurance is really designed to use for a catastrophic financial loss. Plus like previously mentioned the cost of adding collision and comprehensive for your 5th wheel is very affordable.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:28 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
So we've got a new Toy Hauler - and I haven't owned one before. My Class-C was insured with Progressive, when trying to change the policy they told me it's a new policy "type" - so I lose my "seniority status".

Looking into it a little more, it appears that anything I tow is covered by my USAA automobile policy. I assume, that's collision and liability.

I believe that the 5th wheel is covered under my home owner policy while parked at home, although I assume that my 'house" deductible would apply.

So I'm a bit confused as to why I need to pay an additional $500 (Progressive) - $1000 (Good Sam) per year to get a policy. The only uncovered contingency I can think of is that the 5th wheel is disconnected and is damaged or burns to the ground, that sort of thing...

I'll insure it.. Just seems that I'm paying for policies that largely cover the same thing...
I have a separate policy for my 5th wheel through USAA, its only 250 per year, full coverage. Not a bad deal and worth the piece of mind. My MH is linked to my USAA account, insurance it through Progressive.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
JDT

Another thing to consider what you will get if it is totaled. We have a stand alone policy with Progressive that will cover full replacement with a new one for the first five years and then the original purchase price after that. We also have a disappearing deductible that reduces by 25% each year till it is zero. I took the highest deductible they had to reduce the cost and will zero it out next year, I hope. I know there are auto policies that have full replacement available on vehicles but my guess is adding to a standard auto policy would mean getting the depreciated value if it is totaled.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

My MS is on my Truck policy. Under $400 per year full coverage.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:18 AM   #8

Just several weeks go, I bought a 5th wheel and insured it through State Farm - which has insured my vehicles for many years. Even with the bit pricier State Farm (at South Carolina rates) insurance, the cost is still only $272 a year (about $22.67 a month; $500 deductible). As others have already stated, there is no liability coverage on the 5th wheel. The liability is tied to the tow vehicle. You can't crank up a 5th wheel and drive it down the street without the truck, after all.

The rate would be cheaper than that if we didn't have to pay extra for all the uninsured and under insured (ie: Safe Auto insurance) folks running around out there.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:14 PM   #9

I pay $280 every 6 months through USAA for my toy hauler. Seems kinda pricey compared to what you guys are paying but I have $100 and $250 deductibles. I might need to see what the difference in yearly price would be if I raise my deductibles.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I pay $280 every 6 months through USAA for my toy hauler. Seems kinda pricey compared to what you guys are paying but I have $100 and $250 deductibles. I might need to see what the difference in yearly price would be if I raise my deductibles.
My Cadi is 500, the 5th wheel I have 1000.00. The MH is 500.00, no deductible for window damage.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
That's about what I'm getting quoted too (USAA offloads to Progressive). GoodSam was twice as much. The result of the GoodSam quote incurred a phone call this morning where they tried to transfer me to other carriers to get quotes (they get paid for this).

Quote:
Another thing to consider what you will get if it is totaled. We have a stand alone policy with Progressive that will cover full replacement with a new one for the first five years and then the original purchase price after that. We also have a disappearing deductible that reduces by 25% each year till it is zero.
Reading the fine print on that, they indicate that "full replacement" will be of a similar type, model, and features... So I've got some concerns there. Replacement cost actually costs more to insure. I'm not sure that I want an insurance company picking out a new RV.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
That's about what I'm getting quoted too (USAA offloads to Progressive). GoodSam was twice as much. The result of the GoodSam quote incurred a phone call this morning where they tried to transfer me to other carriers to get quotes (they get paid for this).

Reading the fine print on that, they indicate that "full replacement" will be of a similar type, model, and features... So I've got some concerns there. Replacement cost actually costs more to insure. I'm not sure that I want an insurance company picking out a new RV.

Are you sure on the Progressive transfer? I also have a small enclosed trailer and it's through Progressive but my 5th wheel toy hauler is through USAA, at least it's listed as USAA, and on my USAA web site. Maybe they've switched all trailers over to Progressive now, I've had it over two years.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #13

Progressive policy will replace list price of unit. You pick out the replacement.

Tags
5th wheel, insurance