Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
5th wheel Length Concerns

I seems to have an issue over the length of 5th wheel my wife would like & the one I "think" would be best. A little bit of background on this issue would probably be helpful. We plan on purchasing an Elkridge 34TSRE 5th Wheel to live in in full time while we save for a house, we also plan on taking vacations with it as well. My concern is that at 37ft & 11in that its BIG!!! I was brought up and it was drilled into my head that anything over 25ft and you cant get into most campgrounds ( ie Federal Parks, California State parks, HWY 1, etc) Is this 'old school' and this rule really no longer applies, yes, or somewhere in the middle. Any help & opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated

Notsonew2RVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Evergreen Owners Club
It's been a long time since I camped in California, but you should be just fine in the Corp Parks and the State Parks. There will just be fewer spots that you can fit into. Now the Forest Service Parks will most likely be out for you.

Keith & Drena with Casey & P-nut (dogs) & Gabby (cat)
2014 Silverado 3500HD Dually 4X4
2014 Evergreen Bay Hill 365rl
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
My truck is a little shy of 25'. That is a way old number.
It all depends on how well you can drive and how much room you want.

That is big, but not as much as you think. You have roughly 3-4 feet of that over the truck.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #4
That's what I been told, just nice to hear RV'ers opinions on it and not just a sales person
Thanks, again
Notsonew2RVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
where ever you are going call ahead to the cg and ask them what max length for their park is
mikeh449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
My neighbor traded from a 30ft TT to a 36ft 5 th wheel to ease parking in the park he goes to all the time.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
We have been camping in our nominally 27ft Cougar (but really 30ft) for several years now and have never been "oversized" even though we like small campgrounds and nat'l and state parks. We are looking to go full time and are looking for a similar sized unit but with two, not one, slides, and more storage. We just like pulling a smaller unit.
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #8
I have always pulled at least a 35' and never had a problem with parking. I have found most parks have about 10% of their parking for a pull through type of parking.
And the smaller parks that dont have the parking for 30' or more are usually the places I dont want to park into anyways. Only a opinion, I just like the experience in the full size rigs.
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
I have had more issues with low hanging branches and other obstacles than length in older rv parks
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
I've BTDT and the reality is that a 37' 5th wheel will limit your campground choice to some extent. Not so much in commercial campgrounds which usually can accommodate larger rigs (assuming you don't mind backing into a space just a little tighter than advertised once in a while), but many public campgrounds were built to serve smaller units and they usually don't get upgraded over time as a private campground might. Since you'll be full-timing the trade off may well be worthwhile but in my experience I can't agree with the idea that it will have no impact because with many state and national campgrounds... it will. You might be able to 'get it in there', but you'll grow tired of worrying about it, risking damage, etc., and eventually you'll start to cross the questionable campgrounds off of your list, DAMHIK.

But again you'll still find plenty of campgrounds where length isn't so much of an issue. As was noted, height is often more of a problem in large 5th wheels, as in many campgrounds just don't trim trees as they should. It just takes one low branch in the wrong place to really ruin your day.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #11
5th wheel length concerns

With a 41 foot Cedar Creek I pull with a crew cab dually I have yet to find a spot I could not get into. Some spots have been tight but take your time and you will be fine.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
I would have to agree with the height being a bigger problem. I have accidentally
put a skylight in a fifthwheel. It really does ruin your day. I havent seen many of the problems with length though , not like in the 90s when dad took his Royal out. Campsites just didnt seem to even want them . But today you may have a limit in some areas ? It would be worth a search of parks in areas you like and see if there is a limit on any of them. I always call and mention first that mine is 40' ..
jonbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #13
All of these posts are reassuring. We are upgrading from a 28 ft TT to a 42ft 5ver. And again, I think I'm more concerned about the 13'2" height than u am the length
computernerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #14
It's not that you won't get into a spot, it's what spot are you getting into? I can certainly see needing a longer 5er for full timing. I really wouldn't want any shorter. Inside storage is really needed so the longer the trailer usually means more storage.
Worst case scenario is you may get the spot no one wants, but you got a spot. There's no question you'll limit yourself to certain campgrounds. It is what it is.

Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel