Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #1

5th wheel length question

My husband and I plan to retire and be full timers and have been researching fifth wheel options. Should we be concerned with purchasing a 38' Brookstone 325RLS? Should we consider a shorter rv, maybe a Reflection 293RES which is 31'? The issue here is length and weight.....not sure what to do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #2

We full timed for just over 5 years in a 40' fifth wheel with a 1 ton dually. Had a great time. We now have a 32' motor home and a house again. We are coming to the point of really settling down and just having the house. The only problem we ever ran into was the 5th wheel with the truck would not fit in some RV parks because of the over all length. Make sure the 5th wheel you get matches the truck you get and visa versa. Do a lot of research and pick what best fits your life style. One of the best options on any RV in my opinion is a residential refrigerator. And if I was going to do it again, I would also get a leveling system on the 5th wheel.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

Length and weight are always the questions, but the answer depends on the truck you have to pull it.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlins View Post
The issue here is length and weight .
Does your concern specific to weight have to do with limitations of an existing tow vehicle, or will you be buying a truck based on trailer choice ?
Old 08-09-2014, 01:47 PM   #5

We plan to buy a FOrd 350 diesal
Old 08-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #6

Our main concern is ease of towing and backing up into campsites
Old 08-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #7

Is it worth it to get a shorter fth wheel and do without a king bed and 12 cuft frig?
Old 08-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
We plan to buy a FOrd 350 diesal
What year, DRW or SRW, what rear diff gear ratio? Much more to it than that. It all depends on the trailer.

Quote:
Is it worth it to get a shorter fth wheel and do without a king bed and 12 cuft frig?
I don't know, that's up to you. Some units allow you to order it with a residential refr, which is big.

Quote:
Our main concern is ease of towing and backing up into campsites
That all comes with practice.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Should we be concerned with purchasing a 38' Brookstone 325RLS? Should we consider a shorter rv, maybe a Reflection 293RES which is 31'?
That 7 feet is going to make a big difference in storage room. And if I was to go full time, I would want all the storage I could get.

But where do you plan to camp. Private parks, generally not a problem. State Parks, mostly not a problem. Fed parks, could be a problem. It may restrict you some, where you can stay, but the trade off in extra room may be necessary.

If you go with the 325RL you might be able to get away with a SRW 350. But for $500, get the DRW. Drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a new truck. And if your packing in the stuff for fulltiming, your going to be heavy.

If your going to full time, get the 12cuft fridge minimum.

Really, a lot of this is your personalities. Are you a minimalist?
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I've had 5 -5th wheels (various sizes) and two class A's (now class A). My opinion: Get a big 5th wheel for the bed and fridge and storage you want. Get the dually (diesel for torq) and more than anything, get the autolevel system on the 5th- it took the pain out of 5th wheeling. You will save a lot of money if you get what you really want now and I always found a place to camp no matter what size 5th I was owning at the time.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to take a look at the GD Reflection 337RLS You can have your king bed and it is 36 foot long. Weight is about 10,600 unloaded. You would have to check with GD on a larger Refrigerator. I would stay with a 350/3500 size truck with dual wheels as the rig will handle much better on the road. Just my dimes worth, yours may vary...
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I would think about the accommodations I want to spend my time in while full timing. It will depend upon a number of things that are important to you. You will have to spend time inside during inclement weather.

Check out various models and floor plans. Pretend you are living in it and imagine various scenarios. Some of the benefits and short comings of each model will become apparent. Be critical as it will be too late once you are on the road.

After considering the models you would like you will have to select an appropriate truck. Get one that is bigger than you need in case you later decide to upgrade your 5er.

Things to get IMO, residential fridge, washer/dryer, generator and extra water capacity if you plan to boon dock, comfortable chairs and lounges, enough counter top so you can prepare dinners in comfort, I like all electric, adequate storage space, good sound system and TV. Remember this is going to replace your house so you should have similar comfort in your 5er - just compact.

Good luck on your quest. You will enjoy the full time life style. You will meet lots of great people.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:17 PM   #13

It's hard to figure what "you'll" want or need in a first 5th wheel. I'm on my third one now and it took the first two to figure exactly what I wanted/needed.
I don't think you could do any better than a Grand Design RV. I'm totally pleased with my GD Solitude
Old 08-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #14

Have not full-timed, but been out 2-4 months many times--we could not do without a large fridge. Ease of backing comes with practice, and if you go new Ford and the 350 dually, you can get the wide-track front suspension, which allows much shorter turning radius.
Big decisions, and can cost a lot if you don't get what you really need the first time.
Good luck in finding one that will work for you.

Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote