Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #15
Yeah figured the ultra would not be as well constructed. I am very close to pulling the trigger on a new 2011 Dodge 2500 diesel though. I can get a really good deal on it. I know I should probably buy the 5th wheel first but man there are so many good deals that I should be able to buy a quality new or used one that the Dodge should have no problem towing. Although it does get confusing on putting the trailer to the truck with all the differnet weights, combined weights ect.

Again, any 5th wheels we should stay away from? I will most likely try to find a good deal on just a slightly used one since there are so many to choose from here in Phoenix.

Beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Beerlover View Post
Again, any 5th wheels we should stay away from?
Unfortunately, I think you'll find that many forum members will be reluctant to post brand names since this will offend/incite/????? owners of these brands, and the next thing you know, you'll have a brand war going on. You might try picking a brand that might potentially be of interest to you and using the Search feature on the teal bar at the top of any page.

Also, you might want to reconsider the 2500 (3/4 ton) if you're wanting to tow a heavier 5th wheel. The limited GVWR of a 3/4 ton truck is going to severely limit your pin weight capabilities, and 5th wheels carry ~20% of their loaded weight as pin weight that's transferred to the truck through the 5th wheel hitch. If you absolutely refuse to consider a 3500 dually, at least look at the 3500 single rear wheel (SRW) trucks which will have a higher GVWR.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
. If you absolutely refuse to consider a 3500 dually, at least look at the 3500 single rear wheel (SRW) trucks which will have a higher GVWR.

The alternate to a dually is a smaller trailer within the rating of a SRW truck.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
A must see is the NuWa Hitchhiker.

Talk to the owners on the forum.. you will not be sorry.....

Company Link .......... NuWa Industries, Inc.

Owners Forum Link ... Login

Lots of the Hitchhiker owners tow with a SRW but most are limited to 28-30 ft 5ers. Some do larger units but I can not recommend that. Its a owners choice.
Best of luck in your search.
RoadDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
In my opinion for first-time buyers some of the best values are in the better mid-priced lines. The low-line stuff just makes too many compromises and won't hold up well, and the high-line stuff is very nice but at a prices you may want to hold off on until you are surer about exactly what you want in terms of size, features, etc. Also the higher-line units are heavier and may require you to go up a size in tow vehicle which you may not want and further adds to the price.

The mid-line price range is popular (even crowded) and there's a dizzying number of choices. Since these are built to a price point the manufacturer may decide to put the available dollars into gee-gaws or construction quality. Unfortunately the former attracts first-time buyers so there is a lot of it but pay more attention to the latter as it will result in a better value if you plan on keeping the unit a while.

Lastly the best deals come with used units that are just a few years old and in like-new condition, there are a ton of them out there. There usually is no warranty so you need to look carefully and perhaps have an expert check it out, but you will save many thousands of dollars. And warranty coverage isn't always all it seems as sometimes it can be difficult to get what you want out of the manufacturer and it can be better to just save the warranty expense (built-in to the price of every new unit) and use the significant money you save in case any repairs come up. There are always potential pitfalls of course and every thread has its horror stories but by-and-large this is the most economical strategy.
smiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #20
When I set out to find a good, used 5er, my head began spinning. With so many manufacturers and so many lines from each of them, I knew that it would take a very long time to sort them out. I soon decided that rather than trying to learn which manufacturers were worthwhile and which ones might be chancy, I'd just concentrate on looking at those (few) that were considered to be the best. This relieved me of a lot of pressure because i felt comfortable with the quality of these manufacturers (DRV, NuWa, Carriage, etc) and my search for a 5 - 10 year old, well cared for unit became enjoyable. This has been my approach to buying other types of vehicles and I've always done well by buying the best that I could afford whether new or used. With the pre owned market being the way it is, you can certainly get a lot of 5er for your money.
'02 Carriage Carri Lite 32RS3
'06 Dodge 3500 DRW
Laker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #21
If you're going out for a lengthy period of time, I think you should be looking at 35' rather than 30'. That extra 5' provides a lot in livability IMHO. Of course, you'd need a bigger TV, probably a 350/3500. I didn't look at all the responses, but I'll bet they include Nuwa, Teton, Carriage, Alpenlite, Newmar, Excel, and I'm sure I've missed a few. Regardless of where you will be traveling, having a rig that's built for four seasons, with a good floor plan, and good reliability will make your travels more effortless.
--2005 F350 Superduty Crewcab, 6.0, 4wd, short bed, 3.73 gears
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--SOLD 2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38'
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #22
Your question was: "are there any brands to avoid?"

Answer: Go back to the beginning of this thread and read every post again. The brands you "should" be looking at have already been provided for you, at your request.

And no flame war started by mentioning stay-away names.

Good luck.

Rowanova is offline   Reply With Quote