Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #1

5th wheel Mfgs to look at

so my wife and I are looking at 5th wheels (there are a lot of them). We will going going on a pretty extensive trip 6 months or so. I think we have decided that 30 - 34 ft should be fine for us. My question is are there certain manufacturers we should be looking at? I would like to at least make a first step as to picking up the right builder. funny but most floor plans we look at seem acceptable?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #2

Everyone is going to need to know more.
Tow vehicle
New, used
Toyhauler, full timer, camping trip (6 months)
How many people

Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #3

It really depends on what you expect of your trailer, and the comfort level you desire. But I feel the most important thing is to buy a very good quality unit. You'll have few problems and it will last longer.

Arctic Fox, Nuwa, Newmar, Excel, and New Horizons are considered top manufacturers. There are a few other really good companies also.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #4

Well this will be up to a 6 month trip. I will figure out which 5th first and then buy the truck to tow it. This trip will just be my wife and I. I was thinking used, but looking new as well. I just need to start figuring out which ones are the quality ones. I am here in Phx and there seems to be a ton of used ones, but what do you guys think as to new vs used?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #5

Used units are great as long as you know what you want, what to look for, and are getting a good deal.

The best way to get a good deal is to buy a reasonably newer unit without a lot of use, in very good condition, with maintenance records is best, and significantly cheaper than the price of the same product at new cost.

These deals are available but you may need time and patience, and a willingness to travel a distance to get that unit at that price. Call it part of the adventure.

Paying to high a price for something used, in my opinion, it would be better to buy a new one. That way it comes with factory and dealer support and backing that would expected with a new RV. None of which you'll get with a used purchase. Negotiate accordingly.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

With regard to which RV manufacturer to go with, my vote goes to Carriage but I might just be a little biased as I have Carriage a 33 footer; it has been a great used unit. I'm also an advocate of used RVs as I like the idea of purchasing something that is in good shape and has had most of its value depreciated while in the hands of the previous owners.

If you haven't done so already, take a look at PPL (http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/5thwhee...l-trailers.php) they have a huge inventory. Perusing through their site will give you a great start. Good luck to you and enjoy your search. Laker
Old 04-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I would steer you towards looking at KZ. I have a 2005 Escalade made by them, and have been very happy with it so far.

The factory has been very helpful with any questions I have had, and I've found mine to be extremely well built and comfortable.

Good luck, and let us know how it all comes out.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Everyone is going to need to know more.
Tow vehicle
New, used
Toyhauler, full timer, camping trip (6 months)
How many people
Add price range to that!!

Newmar would be at the top of my list, but they aren't cheap, even used.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to PugPug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerlover View Post
so my wife and I are looking at 5th wheels (there are a lot of them). We will going going on a pretty extensive trip 6 months or so. I think we have decided that 30 - 34 ft should be fine for us. My question is are there certain manufacturers we should be looking at? I would like to at least make a first step as to picking up the right builder. funny but most floor plans we look at seem acceptable?
The top quality manufacturers that I have seen are Excel and Mobil Estates. I currently have a Carriage Cameo but Carriage has gone to the happy hunting ground. I am very satisfied with it and it ranked with the other two top units. I used to have a Heartland but didn't have that good of luck with it. It seems like all of the manufactuers pretty much have a forum to discuss items. Read these forums closely and learn to really inspect units and after learning what to look for you will see the difference in quality. Used isn't bad if you can find one that someone has taken good care of. All trls need TLC. To own one you need to be pretty mechanical and handy on fixing things. good luck
Old 04-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we decided to sell our Avion silver, we wanted another quality unit and we had it narrowed down to DRV...too heavy, Hitch Hiker and Carriage Cameo. We wound up with a 2008 Cameo and so far we like it. Ir is built a bit better than most like Montanna, Forest River, and way above Thor.

Even with Carriage out of business, it should be one worth considering.

Ken
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #11

Take a look at the Open Range 345RLS. It is still a smaller independently owned company that cares.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #12

I have a 94 Alpenlite. Solid well built rig. Out of business. I am a DIY guy and would buy another in a heart beat. Have towed it 90,000 miles lived in it 3 yrs, Been to Alaska twice and I like the back roads. No tire wheel or axle problems.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #13

Thanks for the replys. I will look at the open range again. I did see one I liked. The problem I have is I like most all of them. I am told to make sure that when the slides are in, make sure you have access to refrigerator and bathroom which makes sense.

Maybe I should say, Are there certain mfgs that I should stay away from. Also what do you guys think about the ultra lights?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerlover View Post
Also what do you guys think about the ultra lights?
There's generally a reason that most ultra lights are lighter in weight. Not only are they decontented, but floors, walls and roof decks may be thinner or less substantial than a standard RV. If you MUST use one because of tow vehicle load limitations, that's one thing. Given a choice, though, there are too many compromises for me.

Having said the above, there are a few manufacturers who are using "space age" materials and construction techniques to manufacture lightweight RVs, but you'll be able to spot these by the asking price.

JM2CW......YMMV

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote