RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

5th wheel mover attachment for tractor

Been looking for a way to move the 5th wheel with my tractor. I have a receiver hitch adapter fro the front of the tractor, but need a king pin cup arrangement to put on a standard bar that fits the receiver

I found a replacement trypod cup on etrailer that might work.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...19-001081.html

I know this is for a compression load, try-pod, but am not sure it would work for moving the trailer. I have searched everywhere but this is all I could find.

I am also attaching a picture of the attachment for my tractor. I would move the receiver up so the cup would be above the main assembly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	223014  

YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #2

Are you going to remove the TT ball and replace it with the 'cup'?

If no need for TT ball then that would work just fine BUT if still going to have a need for TT ball buy another drop shank and install 'cup' on it then it is just a matter of swapping shanks out vs unbolt/bolting ball/cup

Either way YES it will work just make sure the top of the Plate will not interfere with 5th wheel pin box while maneuvering

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #3

Most folks that have a tractor also have a welder. I'd make one. Piece of pipe, (pins are 2-5/8") and a hitch. One that you don't use anymore or a cheapie from Wallyworld. You could even drill a hole through it off center and put a pin in it to keep it form bouncing out.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:53 PM   #4

Hi, not sure I would trust that. The idea is okay.
Use a spare hitch, weld or attach a suitable sized heavy wall pipe to it. If you are concerned about carrying the weight on the end of the pipe, make it shallow enough so kingpin bottoms out or weld a round plate on top.
Just my first thoughts, I'd probably cruise an rv sales yard and see what they are doing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20181018-115010.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	223021  
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Looks like we are on the same page��
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:58 PM   #6

If your using a tractor you can't be hauling it any kind of distance or speed. Sounds like he just needs something for a quick and easy move, maybe to move it to mow. The one pictured showed three holes in it. That's to hold it to tighten it down maybe. I don't see how you could pin it with what's shown. You could add a short piece of a safety chain welded to it as well if you wanted to.

You can also use the same hitch you've already got. Make it where you can flip it for each way you'd want to use it. That...is what I would do.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #7

Fork lifts are very popular at sales yards. They have a modified 5th wheel hitch welded to two tubes that slip[ over the forks. You could easily buy a cheep 5th wheel hitch and weld the top plate to an adapter that will work on your tractor. It would need to be stronger than a single 2in square tube. Depending on your trailer size you could be looking at 3000lbs+ of tongue weight. That is usually too much for a standard 3point lift and 2in receiver.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #8

Back in the '60s I built swivel trailer that hooked to the 3 PT hitch. Back under nose of MT grain hopper, lift the arms. Would lift the legs a few inches, let use move trailers
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #9

Guess that largely depends on the tractor size and trailer size. I have a MF 240 and know that I couldn't pick up a decent sized 5th wheel by the 3 point hitch and probably too much weight for the front tires if front mounted. For moving short distances the parts in question would work in my opinion but the 5th wheel cup would have to be mounted high unless you are adding this assembly to a front bucket. Definite possible maybe.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #10

Tractor size is the question.

If you used the bucket mount it would be more practical. Drop the bucket and build an adapter that mounts to the bucket hooks and has a 5th wheel plate on it.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #11

Thanks for the great information. 5th wheel is small with a pin weight of 1131 lbs or so. My tractor loader can lift up to 1600 lbs at the pin so should handle it.The pictured adapter plate sits right over the pin connection. My tow vehicle is a F350 dully, so ease of parking with it is frustrating (especially with my tight driveway. I already use the set up pictured to move my 23 foot goose neck around and into the barn, so was wanting the same flexibility to park the 5th wheel.

The drawing with the cup and flange set up is probably the way to go.

Thanks everyone for the input. Now to find a local welder. I have a spare shank around here somewhere.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #12

I had one made up. Is anyone interested in a picture or information on who fabricated it for me? Plan on using it tomorrow. Let me know as I will need to dig out the camera
Old 10-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
Guess that largely depends on the tractor size and trailer size. I have a MF 240 and know that I couldn't pick up a decent sized 5th wheel by the 3 point hitch and probably too much weight for the front tires if front mounted. For moving short distances the parts in question would work in my opinion but the 5th wheel cup would have to be mounted high unless you are adding this assembly to a front bucket. Definite possible maybe.
The setup I built with the arms all the way down the plate was on a frame angled to the top of a truck steering axle. Lifting the arms pulled the axle closer to back of tractor, making the frame stand up straighter. I don't know what percentage of the pin weight was lifted by the arms, but I was working a Jubilee model Ford. Our "big" tractor was a John Deere 'A', but it didn't have 3 point...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #14

Thanks to Brentw this is what I had fabed up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0085.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	224029   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	224030  

Tags