Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM   #29

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post
I would definitely stay away from Forest Rivers product, in 40 years of Rving nothing but bad experience with them, all in the look nothing on quality, built on a toater frame, my personnel opinion take it or leave it. Ouffff I might have made myself some enemy here, but I assumed. With Excel you are in a different range quality and price, like comparing a Hunday and a Mercedes-Benz. Again my opinion. !!!!
There are many folks on other forums with a lot of issues with Crossroads some saying they would never buy one again. One poor guy was stranded in I think New Mexico for weeks waiting for parts/repair and factory not wanting to take care of issues

bsjulestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #30

For every report of bad or major issues with any brand RV there are hundreds, maybe even thousands that have had no problems.
Yes you hear more about Lippert Frames, but they make frames for a majority of the RVs out there. They also make the frames to the RV Mfr's specs.
As for Full Timing, it can be done in a Tent, Pop-up, TT, 5er, Class A, B, or C. You have to decide what's best for you.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
For every report of bad or major issues with any brand RV there are hundreds, maybe even thousands that have had no problems.
Yes you hear more about Lippert Frames, but they make frames for a majority of the RVs out there. They also make the frames to the RV Mfr's specs.
As for Full Timing, it can be done in a Tent, Pop-up, TT, 5er, Class A, B, or C. You have to decide what's best for you.
Well said
I see that all the time during winter months
Old 01-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #32

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I agree on one thing, I have over the years met with fulltimer that we're very happy living in a small TT , met a couple on Dauphin Island living fulltime into a Econoline, a small family in Texas living in a Rialta, ...... I also lived full time in a old. 1992 Winnebago Brave with no slide, ,... Fulltiming is a way of life and a state of mind, and it as nothing to do with what I am earing, to be fulltimer you need , size , comfort, full winterize rig, and lots of money. If you have the money and you can afford a 42 fts Newmar with 5 slides or a 5th wheel 38 fts excel. Then good for you, but peoples can be fulltimers and have as much pleasure with much smaller rigs. Again my opinion. !!!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Well said I see that all the time during winter months
Thanks for trying to steer the thread back on topic. We are looking for a true 4 season 5er and it is quite possible spending summers in the desert and winters in canada.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #34

Again for those extremes there are only two maybe three that would make a good start. You will need to add skirting and addional heat sources like light bulbs / heat tape to anything you buy.

DRV Mobile Suites or more expensive Elite Suites have 3.25" walls with custom built heavy duty frames

Excel Winslow or the more expensive Limited. These are simply known to be high quaility well insulated 5th wheels.

I would figure to pay 80g's to 140g's for these 5ers new.

Then there are custom built units. Probably the best is from Continental Coach, then Space Craft followed by New Hoizons. These units cost from unlimited on the upper cost down to 180g's for a very nice unit. They can not be towed with a normal dually and need a min of a Medium Duty Truck (MDT) and better yet a Heavy Duty Truck (HDT).

Now if on a lower budget my top pick would be a Holiday Rambler Presidential. IMHO they did a nice build job plus the walls and aluminium structure uses a very heavy gauge frame. The walls are a bit thicker than normal.

LifeStyle - built to be full time. I did not research insulation but this is a nice rig.

Redwood and Landmark - probably close in insulation and are very nice but are a step down from previously mentioned 5th wheels. They are built by companies that build a lot of different level of units with these two at the top.

I would buy a used NuWa or Carriage if I found one I liked.

Since I am not in a hurry and do not plan to use my full-time rig in extreme weather on purpose I am going to try to find a used 2009 or newer DRV Elite Suites, or a smaller custom built rig. I also like the Dynamax Trilogy but not for extreme weather...I just like it.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #35

Like one camper said.
I bought a standard 5 th wheel I could afford and made it a skiing chalet by making it mine that no one would want to buy most of the time. Staying in an RV in -30f is not normal or required by everyone
Most successful manufacturers sell what the customer wants and Heartland is one company that is close to their customers.
The quote above was from a HL owner.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #36

Reverse it spend summers in Canada and winters on the Desert. Why suffer . I would go and see what the Canadians are staying in. Any fiver that can keep you warm up there will definatly keep you cool down south. Just remember that a smaller space is. easier to keep cool or warm. Montanas are good fivers and reasonably priced and are full time rated. I truck for a living and l have seen one in the same spot by the freeway for 3 years. It is located near Portland Or. I have a Cardinal 30-30 which l like very much but l do not full time and it is a fine trl for me. Good luck on your selection
Old 01-08-2014, 07:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Reverse it spend summers in Canada and winters on the Desert. Why suffer .
Like I mentioned in the original post we travel because of my husband's job so that dictates where we are living. Unlike a lot of the users here we aren't retired so don't have the luxury of saying hey let's spend this winter in Florida or the summer up North. If that were the case I would've just asked everyone which is their favorite 5th wheel.

I appreciate everyone's replies to the post that were relevant but it seems that most people get off the main topic quickly.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #38

Your plans to spend winters in Canada? Unless that means the lower mainland of B.C. there is no way I would consider it. -40 is -40 no what scale you use and there is simply no way to stay warm in those temps in a unit designed for recreational use. Stick with the short term rental apartments for now. Or plan to only use the trailer spring thru fall and winter in an apartment. winterizing and storing your trailer.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Your plans to spend winters in Canada?
We don't plan anything, we go where the projects are and last year we spent a good chunk of time in Canada so it is a possibility, though we have no desire to go back there.

The point of this thread was to find out what people with experience would recommend for hot and cold weather use. I made it clear that my husband's job takes us all over the US (sometimes Canada, we have no plans to go back) and we don't choose where we spend each season.

My husband and I think excel or DRV will be one of the brands we choose to full time in so thank you everyone for your input. This has been a good learning experience for future posts.