Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #1

I have an 06 Mountaineer that I pull with a 1996 Dodge 3500 V-10 w/ 38K miles. I plan on travelling alot with it in 08. (All Summer)
Realistically the 5ver will outlive the truck and we will outgrow the 5ver. Do we replace both while they have value and trade for a Coach or upgrade the 5ver to a newer model in 08 with our wants (washer/dryer and on board generator)? With a Coach I need to drag a car and with the 5ver I will detach my truck. I am hooked on the idea of a new diesel p/u if we stay with the 5ver. Cost of a new deisel p/u and 5ver would be as much or maybe less than a Coach. Insurance costs of a Coach and maintenance compared to a 5ver and truck also factor in etc... Does anyone have experience with a Coach and prefer a 5ver? Those who travel alot, what would your recommendation be and what factors should I consider when full timing for the summer? Sorry for the wordiness but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. I appreciate any info and advice
Ralph

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #2

I have an 06 Mountaineer that I pull with a 1996 Dodge 3500 V-10 w/ 38K miles. I plan on travelling alot with it in 08. (All Summer)
Realistically the 5ver will outlive the truck and we will outgrow the 5ver. Do we replace both while they have value and trade for a Coach or upgrade the 5ver to a newer model in 08 with our wants (washer/dryer and on board generator)? With a Coach I need to drag a car and with the 5ver I will detach my truck. I am hooked on the idea of a new diesel p/u if we stay with the 5ver. Cost of a new deisel p/u and 5ver would be as much or maybe less than a Coach. Insurance costs of a Coach and maintenance compared to a 5ver and truck also factor in etc... Does anyone have experience with a Coach and prefer a 5ver? Those who travel alot, what would your recommendation be and what factors should I consider when full timing for the summer? Sorry for the wordiness but I am stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. I appreciate any info and advice
Ralph

Old 09-24-2006, 05:58 PM   #3

Been there done that. My original purchase was a new 25 foot motor home. In those days no one towed a car behind them. What soured me was one day waking up and finding my daughter had ring worm. Have you ever had to put everything away and drive to town to find a pharmacy in Saturday? To cover a lot of miles in a hurry it is great, But the rest of the time it was a pain in the neck. I have had four TT and now a fiver. Personally I like the fiver best so far. I would probably shy away from a generator though, unless you plan on running the AC while boon docking a lot of hours a month. Just too much weight and cost to be really practical. In stead, go for a small portable in the 2000 to 3000 watt range and put the savings into extra batteries and solar panels. This summer was the first time that I have actually used my generator for the AC while boondocking. But in defense it was over a hundred all week. And my $1400., 2800 watt generator ran the AC all day with no problem. How many in your family?? Are you planning on traveling a lot of miles a day?? Do you plan on cooking meals while driving down the road?? If you answer yes to most of these questions, then a motor home might be a better choice. I guess what I am trying to get around to is your choice will depend a great deal on your intended life style on the road, not what anyone here can tell you. All I can say is what currently works for me.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Definitely a personal preference thing...

The wife and I went through all "our own" pros and cons when we bought the most recent motor home and having owned two fivers and now two motor homes,the "going down the road and doing stuff" works better for us...

Also love the ease that leveling has become with the motor home....oush a button from the driver's seat and never leave the coach if it's raining...

Weigh the things that are important to you folks....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:50 AM   #5

My take on the debate is that a motor home is for people who travel a lot and camp along the way. A towable trailer is for people who travel to a location and then camp. For me, the towable is the better choice.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having owned both motorhomes and trailers, I feel the 5er is better for more long term living. With a motorhome, you need to physically drive it about 30 minutes once every 30 day (max of 60 days) to keep all of the seals lubricated and all of the equipment in working order. Letting the engine run and idle for a spell does not really warm things up good and does nothing for the drive line and brakes.

The other issue with a motorhome is if you have an engine-chassis problem, your whole house has to go to the shop. With a truck and trailer, you can always have the trailer towed to a campground and the truck to a shop.

But it really boils down to your personal choice.

Ken
Old 09-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
As you can see, the decision between a 5-r & coach is a preference one.

In making our decision between going to a bigger 5-r (we had a 35 ft model) or getting a coach, we were swayed by a couple items. First was that a bigger 5-r required us to get a bigger truck. By the time we priced a bigger 5-r & new truck, we were in the coach price range. 2nd was that we no longer had a need for a truck - especially a big one that got low gas mileage. We've done all the remodelling we're gonna do in our house that we needed a truck bed to haul stuff, so we couldn't justify a gas-hog truck for just for pulling a 5-r when we only rv 6 months out of the year. Last, we found a coach floorplan we really liked & we really enjoy the perks (like the auto levelling & ease of moving around while rolling down the road) that come with a coach.

Take your time. It is a big decision & sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling no matter how many opinions you get. Have fun shopping!

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #8

As others have pointed out already, there are pros and cons for each situation. In our case, we chose a used MH. We wanted to be able to travel to local events for day or over night trips with friends as well as traveling and extended stays. We also like to be able to fix a sandwich or go to the bathroom while traveling or just pull over in a rest area for a while for a meal or nap without having to get out. I also really enjoy driving the MH. I like the panoramic view of the road in front of me and one unexpected plus is I'm much less bothered by lights while driving at night since I'm sitting well above the oncoming traffic. Another factor that swayed our decision was that we didn't believe it is really safe to tow a large 5ver with even a heavy duty dually pickup and the price of MDTs or converted HDTs plus the 5ver was as much or more than a MH.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:31 PM   #9

One last thing to remember, you need a larger MH to get the same useable floor space as a TT or fiver. Remember a 35 foot MH will loose about 5 feet to the driving position. Yea, you can swivel the seats, but in reality it is still lost space for living. On the other hand the length of a TT also calculates the tongue, and a fiver might figure the pin box, if it is an extented pin box. But not nearly the lost space of a MH
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:23 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
pontihack, I now fulltime in a 36 ft Allegro Bay DP, 6 speed allison 1 slide. its just my wife an I so it is plenty of room . And it has serve us well for 8 yrs of fulltime living. But now we are looking at montana fifth wheels in the 32 to 35 ft length an found a couple we really like an the brand new 07 I is priced at my dealer for $35,000.00 for a 3 slide, 35 ft an lotsf room. Of course I will need a truck. But figure i can get a good used diesel for under $22000.00 I have already looke at 3/4 an 1 tons. So if you dont wantta live to awfully "high" thats a lot less (much less) then a DP coach. WE have really enjoyed our coach, but the main thing with me is the cost when youneed repairs. I just this week had installed brake pads, all new rotors, an seals all around an the cost (labor an parts) a few dollars under $2400.00 an thats less then if freightliner had done it. i ask the mechanic what if trailer brakes were replaced completely on a TT or fifthwheel. He said he just did a jon on a fiver with 16 " wheels for $448.00 ...lotta difference!! plus insurance will be much much less on a fiver an truck. Dont get me wrong, theres a lot to be said about a coach. Its just my preference now to make my "retirement money" last longer. hope this helps
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I appreciate the renewal of this discussion/decision process. We have a 5vr and had the chance to go back to a motorhome and this analysis reinforced our decision on the 5vr. We will stick with what we have because it better suits the type of camping we do now and the maintenance cost. I still love traveling in the motorhome etc. But the overall maintenance/insurance/tax cost is better for what is actually a toy (depreciating asset). Question: If it depreciates how can we call it an asset?
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:48 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
I am fiver owner and therefore this is a prejudiced answer. You already mentioned the price difference but I would suggest a look at this combo and then see what I can find in a motor home for $134,000.
New 2006 Carriage Carri-lite FW 36' 4 Slides $83,960 at Lazydays and

2007 F-SERIES SD F350 4X2 CREW/CAB DUAL CAPTN'S/RR BENCH LEATHE 6.0L V-8 DIESEL TORQSHIFT(TM) 5-SPD AUTO TRANS $50,035 at Jennings Anderson Ford
Old 10-07-2006, 08:30 AM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I noticed this discussion does not mention the tax benefits of a MH over a 5ver, assuming your not paying cash that is. If you don't already own a second (vacation) home then with a MH you can write off the all loan interest. With a 5ver you can only write off the 5ver but not the truck which is typically about 40% of the cost in full-timing setups.

Beyond this my opinion is one is inclined to stay put a month or more at a time then go 5ver. If you plan on staying somewhere only a week or two and then moving on, go MH.

Other thoughts:
- I think the notion of a big pickup truck being a fuel hog when not in use for towing isn't completely valid. The newer one ton diesel pickups in my immediate circle of friends get between 15-20 mpg.
- Both diesel pickups towing a 5ver and DP MH's get between 7-9 mpg but DP MH's have more range on a single fill-up because they have 100-150 gallon fuel tanks.
- If you are going to cover a lot of miles over several year the right one ton diesel truck is probably good for 150,000 miles and still have some value and/or you may be able to rebuild it. DP MH's chassis/drivetrains are generally good for 250,000 miles or more but then you pretty much have to buy a whole new house and most of original investment is more or less gone.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #14

I appreciate all of the input on this one. It has really helped me ponder a few things I didn't think of. We decided a 5ver is going to be our best bet with what we want to do.
Thanks again!