Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 12:05 AM   #1

5th wheel or TT

I'm thinking of getting rid of the truck camper. I've decided to buy a 5 th wheel or a travel trailer. Any thoughts? The DW and I plan to camp more and travel across the country. We have the truck to handle the job, so were more concerned about which would be better. Any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
We have a 5th wheel and love it. Feels solid when I drive. The upside to a TT is you can use your trucks bed.Most 5ers have lots more storage. Go to a dealer and ask them to take you out in a TT and A 5er. We made our decision based on our RV friends info and I like how the 5ers are setup. That said everyone will have a different opinion on it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #3

Most TT do not have a lot of storage. A person we camp with from mid-Atlantic has an Open Range that is nice though (TT). Other than that I am partial to toyhaulers When we get to old for the toys it can carry the golf cart
For us is is a flexible area. Haul toys, dining room when we don't, sleeping area when we have my sister and her kids.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #4

I think a 5er has the biggest bang for the buck over a travel trailer. We recently went from a TT to a 5er and found LOTS more room, storage and comfort.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Better is a matter of personal choice. Personally, having owned both, I prefer a 5-r to a TT for several reasons:
  • Can have a longer 5-r without having too long an overall length, due to part of the 5-r is over the truck bed. Longer equates to more living space for me
  • 5-r's usually have more basement storage than a TT of comparable size
  • I found backing the 5-r easier to control than a TT - probably due to the pivot point being farther forward. Same for turning corners at intersections.
  • Can store firewood/bikes/lawnchairs out of the rain under the front cab of a 5-r. Easier access than having to haul them in/ out of a storage bay (assuming the TT had bays big enough)
On the flip side for TT's:
  • If anyone is mobility challenged, a 1-level TT can be a factor
  • High profile 5-r's can be much taller than TT's. Lot's of wind has to get pushed with that big cap, less so with a shorter TT
  • Can put more in the bed of the truck since a big part of it is not being taken up by a hitch & 5-r overhang
Have fun shopping & let us know what ya get.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Better is a matter of personal choice. Personally, having owned both, I prefer a 5-r to a TT for several reasons:
  • Can have a longer 5-r without having too long an overall length, due to part of the 5-r is over the truck bed. Longer equates to more living space for me I hear this answer all the time, but you have to remember, this is only true when traveling... once set up in camp, the overall size is the same (given they are both the same length). And since you don't live in it when traveling this answer has no meaning...as far as living space is concerned.

• 5-r's usually have more basement storage than a TT of comparable size. Yes, but if you have a camper shell on the back of the truck, it will provide a LOT of storage space.

• I found backing the 5-r easier to control than a TT - probably due to the pivot point being farther forward. Same for turning corners at intersections. This is true.

• Can store firewood/bikes/lawnchairs out of the rain under the front cab of a 5-r. Easier access than having to haul them in/ out of a storage bay (assuming the TT had bays big enough) Again, if you have a camper shell on the back of the truck, there is a lot of room for storage.
On the flip side for TT's:
  • If anyone is mobility challenged, a 1-level TT can be a factor. yes

• High profile 5-r's can be much taller than TT's. Lot's of wind has to get pushed with that big cap, less so with a shorter TT. However, a sway eliminating WD/sway control hitch (Hensley et al) can make towing a TT just as easy and care free as a 5ver.

• Can put more in the bed of the truck since a big part of it is not being taken up by a hitch & 5-r overhang. Yes
Have fun shopping & let us know what ya get.

Lori-
Lori points out some very good answers. I, however I inserted (in red) my thoughts from my experiences.

If you already have a 1-ton duelly, I would go ahead and get a 5'ver....if a 3/4 ton truck, I would go with the TT. Just my opinion, of course. If you go with a TT, I would spend the extra bucks and get a Hensley Arrow or a Pro Pride hitch. You won't regret it.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
With all due respect, I'll disagree with some of your rebutts to mine, lanerd.

I didn't state both TT & 5-r were the same length. I stated the 5-r could be longer, resulting in more living space for me, without sacrificing overall combined length. You cannot add another parameter (i.e. "given both they are both the same length") when disagreeing with my observation.

A bed shell, while dry & secure, still requires moving stuff in & out of an enclosed space. Storing the items I listed under the open space of a 5-r cap, means I don't have to wrangle something in/out of a closed space after I've already gotten it out when I got to my site.

Also, knowing members who have a bed shell, getting to items closer to the cab can require removing many items stored aft of there. I don't like having to unload a bunch of stuff onto the ground to get to what I want or to put back what I got out. Slide-out trays in 5-r's & the easier access in 5-r bays trump bed shells, IMO.

Nit-picking?, maybe, but important to me & maybe to someone considering a TT vs 5-r.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #8

I just don't like the feel of a travel trailer when passed by a 18 wheeler running about 75 mph. Feels like they're going to blow me off the road.

And the Hensley hitch is expensive and difficult to deal with.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes, the HA is expensive when new, but you can find them on eBay and Craigslist all the time for half the price (or less). Also, the best 5th wheel hitch can be expensive also....not as much as the HA, but still.

Many don't realize that the HA "eliminates" sway...not just trying to control it. Once installed and used a couple of times, it is no more difficult to use than any other type of weight distributing device that only works off of friction. Wouldn't you rather pay a few hundred $$ more and have absolutely no sway?

Again, to the OP.... I believe it's all about the tow vehicle.

Ron
Old 06-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #10

Thanks for the information. I really appreciate the time everyone took to reply with some great tips.
I have the truck I am going to use, a Ford F250 super duty with a 6.0 L diesel. We started looking today at a few tt and 5th wheels. I think we like the 5th wheels more at this point. I'll post more when we make a decision. Anyone have a preference on a brand?
Thanks again. You folks are the best.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:43 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
A Brand? How much do you want to spend? New or Old? Make a list of the must haves and the nice to haves. Start check out lots of dealer sites. That's what we did spent a good deal of time looking at 5ers till I was dreaming about them. At the end DW picked the winner.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:11 AM   #12

There are some well balanced 5th wheels that can be towed with your truck.
Jayco models and others are out as they load the hitch to save on axle requirements.
My Big Country by Heartland is one that can be towed due to less frills than some other models.
My friends 37ft Cedar Creek was no load on my truck when I towed it.
So look around and you will learn.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #13

There are plenty of 5th wheels with 15% hitch weight that your truck can tow.
Mine is and it is a dream to tow in any condition.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdapete View Post
I have the truck I am going to use, a Ford F250 super duty with a 6.0 L diesel. We started looking today at a few tt and 5th wheels. I think we like the 5th wheels more at this point.
My only recommendation to you is to weigh your truck on some scales and subtract that weight from your posted GVWR. That amount will be your max payload rate. EVERYTHING you put in or on the truck will reduce that payload rate. When looking at 5'ers, you'll need to be very aware of the trailer's pin weight.....don't go by the posted "dry" pin weight.....you'll need to use a percentage of the trailer's GVWR (usually about 20%) to figure the most accurate pin weight.

Good luck in your quest.

Ron