Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
It was a no brainer for me for two reasons. My daily driver was a C-3500 Duramax / Allison, before I bought the 5th wheel. A MH would mean purchasing and maintaining a whole new and expensive drive train. 2nd, a 5th wheel is more conducive to our current lifestyle. We generally take destination oriented trips and venture out on sub trips from there. Hauling a 4010 Trans 4x4 Mule and a full size Weber grill in the garage is also a bonus. I was measuring our office manager's new Fiat a couple weeks ago and it would fit in my garage as well.

Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #30
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
FWIW if you were getting better mileage in a 40' DP than a diesel pickup towing a 31' 5th wheel then your experience is most unusual. But then again $10,000 will pay for a lot of fuel...
Yeah, I should have noted that I don't have a diesel in my tow vehicle. It's a V10 Ford. I get 10mpg on a good day, downhill, with a tail wind and the engine shut off. Towing is about 9.0 The big Cummins delivered 9.0 to 10 most of the time. Motorhome was $200,000.00 new. Truck and trailer closer to $90,000.00. Still would sooner drive the MH any day on the highway.

Gary & Cathy Hallenbeck
2000 Carriage Cameo 27RKS
2004 F-250 4x4 V10
hardlylook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
All good points.
DW brought up one. In most DP's you're always walking thru the drive compartment and living room to get to the kitchen. If you are looking at a DP with carpeting, it's the highest traffic area and required continous care. In most 5'er your walking into the kitchen, right turn bedroom and left turn living room.

A new top end 5'er with a 1 ton truck will cost about the same as a 4 to 5 year old DP in the same length (38-40').

As far as tires, I replace mine every two years. A DP is every 6 to 8 years.
John & Diann
2014 Dutch Star 4364 - 2011 CRV EX-L AWD
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #32
We are full timing in an RV and parked most of the time. It might not be as nice to drive a 5th wheel and truck then a DP. But for 1% of the time on the road why waste it while the 5th wheel is 99% of the time much more Practical, Comfortable, Larger, Taller, Dependable and Economical

The present 5th wheel we now own is not as practicle on the road as the previous one, it was my wife's choice and I have to agree with her, its living in it that counts. We got things done and accustomed to it and usualy can be on the road for weeks at a time without needing to stop at a Campground.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #33
A couple of points about 5ths. The trailer builder puts on quite minimalist tires and wheels, an option not available in the MH. Upgrade the tires and wheels. If the tires are rated to carry the entire GVW of the 5th or more, the tire issue will be constructively eliminated. That usually means going to 17.5" rims and "H" rated tires. The tires are truly stout and ought to be good for at least 5 years and maybe longer. Four tires will have a load rating of 19.000lbs or more.

The wires for the brakes are usually routed thru the axle tubes. No big deal if it goes a few miles to the lake for the summer and a few miles home, but a very big deal when you get to around 8,000 or more miles, The wire in the tube abrades and the whole thing goes to ground and you have no brakes. Move the wires elsewhere where they are protected. Cost for this should be a couple hundred or less.

Consider replacing the axles with the Mor-Ryde IS if you travel a lot. They are trailing arm independent axles with a rubber spring, and offer a lot more spring travel. Also consider hydraulic disc brakes.

All of the above will cost perhaps $8,000. A new DP is around $200,000. a new 5th in the $60,000 to$100,000 range for a somewhat similar quality unit. Either one will have "things" you want added. A 5th is roughly 1/3 to 1/2 as costly as a DP.

The MH has a hard-wired 50A cord, and where we go (North to Alaska) the power is usually 30A. I got a 30A Pedestal 50A Coach cord, and an extension if needed. The cord is lighter and easier to handle and delivers enough power to run 2 AC units or 1 AC and the water heater and micro. That would not be the case if we went south for the summer, but they would likely have 50A power.

There are lots of reasons to prefer either one. A few simple changes make them a lot more comparable. Pick the one you like and let it go, no need to disparage the other.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #34
We do 6K miles per year. My experience with tires is that LT tires are the best for our house on wheels and I usualy change them when wornout. Everything else is stock and the last unit we had it for 15 years. After the maintenance on a unit is done well they acn last a long time and many miles of motoring.
The new unit has the LT tires and 7K axles and brakes and its a dream to drive. Just checked the alignment and the axles are within 1/16" after 18K Miles.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #35
Looked for a used DP ended up with 5th wheel

Originally Posted by NoFear View Post
The class A guys suggested I pose this question to the 5ers... Which would you prefer...5th wheel or class A and why?
DW and I are going to be full timers in 2 years. I looked at 2006 thru 2008 used non-tag axle DP as that was in the budget. These units seemed to have a lot of 'used' carpet. We ended up with a new diesel truck which is real nice and quiet and a new 5th wheel with carpet only on the slides. No carpet on the steps or bedroom !!! This was a big deal to us since DW has allegies. The new truck and 5th wheel ended up costing alot less than a used DP and is just as nice. The new trucks tow 5th wheels great...lots of quiet power.

The bottom line for me was that a truck/5th wheel rig is less 'worry' than a MH.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote