Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

5th Wheel over Class A?

The class A guys suggested I pose this question to the 5ers... Which would you prefer...5th wheel or class A and why?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

You might want to try a search on this subject... you will find at least a month's worth of reading.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #3

DW & I have had both. We perfer a 5er. Oh were to start!

DW will not drive a Class A
Cost more for insurance
We would need to have a toad (3rd vehicle)
Maintain an additional vehicle

Can drop the 5er and use the TV for sightseeing/daily use at home
I think more living space for equal size
Cost less to purchase
Better fuel mileage

These are the big ones off the top of my head. I have to say "IF" a class A works better for you get one.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had a Montana 5th wheel and would like to go back to one. Maintenance is a lot easier and it is less costly. But DW prefers the MH
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

We've gone the oposite way from bailer6334, 4, 5th's and then Class A.
A's, Level interior floor, easier on hips and knees.
DW will drive an A. she wouldn't tow, the 5th ????
More secure if your spending the night on the road, you can just fire up and leave without exiting the coach.
JMHO, An A is way easier to drive/handle and my 5ths handled well.
Toad gets 3X the mileage of TV running around town.
In my case towing mileage, vs coach, within 1 mpg.
Insurance , 2000 3/4 ton, old TV, vs 99 coach;equal.
There are pro's and con's to both, the list is as varied as the owners.
AND as bailer says you have to figure out what works for you.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #6

We looked at Class A's and C's, but decided for our use the 5er suited us best. With the new breed of 5ers you have many of the features as a MH. We have automatic leveling, automatic sat dish on the roof, a combo washer/dryer, dual ACs, on board Genny and the list continues. As for a Toad getting 3x the mileage, not sure about that. Our TV gets 17 to 18 solo crusing at 70 and we average 10 to 11 towing at 65. So it all boils down to your personal preference and exactly how you plan to use it.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
As for a Toad getting 3x the mileage, not sure about that.
Indeed. Unless it's a hybrid or smartcar it's more like 1/3 more mileage (at best) than 3X the mileage. And those savings are totally eclipsed by the costs of operating a second vehicle.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The question should also be asked how many people tow a 5th wheel with a truck that is sized appropriately. I have no desire to drive a dually around to sight see or do anything for that matter.

Class A with a toad works for us.
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fifth wheel truck combo is by far much much easier on the wallet to maintain and insure. Actually I would only compare insurance costs between the motor home and the Fifth wheel, taking the truck out of the equation because it can become your every day vehicle. So about 800 dollars cheaper on insurance, tires are smaller and less expensive to replace and you can do it your self rather then calling the big tire guy. The biggy for me in wanting to go from the A to the Fifth is to remove the engine and drive line from the coach hence having a second vehicle which would be a truck which is quite handy to have. I hate having a big diesel engine sitting in my backyard doing nothing week after week, I want to use it.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #10

Not to mention another biggie... you can have your tow vehicle serviced at any of a bazillion Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealers in the US and stay in a campground while repairs are completed, vs. hoping you can find a specialty shop to work on your DP for big $$$ and staying in a hotel.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Not to mention another biggie... you can have your tow vehicle serviced at any of a bazillion Ford/Chevy/Dodge dealers in the US and stay in a campground while repairs are completed, vs. hoping you can find a specialty shop to work on your DP for big $$$ and staying in a hotel.
Very, very good one!
Old 09-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #12

When growning up my family had eveything from a converted 1952 GMC school bus, Class C, Excel slide in camper, Starcraft, Alpenlite 5thwheels, and now the folks have a 2012 Montana 346LBQ. Each had their advantages as others have pointed out. We are in our middle 30's and have a Copper Canyon 5th wheel pulled with a F350 dsl. There are times with the kids I wish we had a MH, for longer trips. They'd have plenty of room to stretch out, nap, use restroom, ect. We could then pull the minivan behind and have accomodations for 7, and a vehicle to run around in. Most of our camping though is at the area lakes 60-100 miles from home. We also have a boat. So if we had a MH we'd either have to take another vehicle or break camp any time we wanted to put the boat in the water. For us the 5th wheel is the better choice most of the time with our current situation. My wife and I + 3 kids can travel fairly comfortable in the F350, and still take our house and boat if we want to. My wife is comfortable driving the F350 around after the 5th is set on site. And I'm getting her used to pulling the camper with out the boat. I don't know if she'd ever feel comfortable driving a MH. As the others have posted, maint wise, it's easier to put the TV in the shop and keep the house on site if you have trouble. Our F350 was bought to pull the camper, so it sits in the garage when we're not camping as I have a beater for a daily driver. I also like the fact that as our needs change we can upsize/downsize easily. I always get a premium for my trucks, so if we need to trade the F350 for something different it'll sell quick, when the kids are gone and we nolonger need a bunkhouse 5th wheel, we can sell it and find a couples coach. The F350 will last us many years, so as our needs/wants change for a "house" we can still pull it with the same truck, making our cost to upgrade less.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #13

I look at this way ; a Fiver is great for short trips or extended stays.

For long trips there nothing better than having all your consciences at your finger tips.
Nothing worst than pulling over so family can take turns using the washroom..... Love the Motorhome option.

Just depends on what you want to do; see the world in a MH or spend some time at he park with a Fiver.

Just my 2 cents....
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #14

Damn spell correct on IPhones , lol

Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote