Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #1

5th Wheel Pin

So we just bought the reflections 303 and was looking for some info on the 5th wheel hitch pins. Ours came with the stand box and pin. What is the mor-ride or trail air pins that I see on some of the other units? Is this something I need to upgrade mine to? The dealer said it would not make a difference only in my pocket book.(which surprised me) Thanks Jeremy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

Tow with what you have already and see how it feels. In the beginning it may feel terrible just because you haven't towed, so wait a while before making changes. The fancy pin boxes will improve the feel from the driver's seat, but keep in mind that they just isolate the trailer movement from the truck, they don't reduce it. So, with an isolated pin box the trailer could be taking a real beating and you won't know it.

It is better to improve the trailer ride first, then improve the isolation between the two vehicles. Your unit probably has the Equi-flex or similar rubber equalizer between the leaf springs, if not that would be the first and least expensive upgrade, shocks on the trailer would be next. Beyond that there are several expensive options like the Mor/ryde IS system. I went that route on my last trailer and didn't feel the need for anything else. My present unit has the Equi-flex and is fine as is.

dayle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:49 AM   #3

Your Reflection already has the Equa-Flex suspension components. If you find a lot of chucking in places like Pennsylvania's concrete slab interstates, you may want to get the MorRyde pin box. I have one and love it. But spend a season with what you have first to see if you feel the need.
Another option is the Andersen Ultimate fifth wheel hitch as they are reported to almost eliminate chucking. I just got one and will find out this season.
http://www.andersenhitches.com/catal...onnection.aspx
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:13 AM   #4

Air or suspension pin boxes can make a big difference in towing comfort. Lots of debates on what is best. No matter what you choose they will make for a smoother towing experience.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 AM   #5

Use what you have for a while to see if you have excessive "chucking." I describe chucking as a feeling that the tow vehicle and FW are working against each other, particularly on rough pavement or pavement joints. Other folks might have a better description. I don't own one, but most people having them have stated that using any anti-chucking device is a night v. day difference. Some are rather expensive at over $1,000, and some like the Mor-ryde can be found for less than $700. I have no opinion on their effectiveness.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by denham45 View Post
So we just bought the reflections 303 and was looking for some info on the 5th wheel hitch pins. Ours came with the stand box and pin. What is the mor-ride or trail air pins that I see on some of the other units? Is this something I need to upgrade mine to? The dealer said it would not make a difference only in my pocket book.(which surprised me) Thanks Jeremy
Your Dealer is wrong.

We had a 318SAB Cougar that we towed with using the standard Lippert pin box. On our first trip out east with the trailer, we traveled through West Virginia on I77. The chucking was so bad that both my wife and I ended up with headaches from the road surfaces being so bad.

So I did some research on the matter and came to the conclusion we needed either an AIR Hitch or an AIR BAG supported PIN BOX to eliminate the bouncing between the trailer and truck. The AIR Hitch was too expensive and we already had a slider hitch. So I chose a “Trailair” Pin Box that would bolt in place of the stock Lippert Pin Box. What a difference it was night and day driving experience. You may still get some chucking but I would estimate that the “Trailair” pin box eliminates at least 90 to 95% of the ride discomfort.

We factory ordered a "Trailair" pin box on our 34RL cedar Creek that we bought last year. I will never tow another 5er without the “Trailair“ pin box or an Air Hitch.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:51 PM   #7

I would also wait and see how it tows. I was looking into the Mor-Ryde for our Solitude before picking it up. My B&W hitch seems to do the job of eliminating the majority of it. I have a bad back and my wife has a bad neck, so we wouldn't have been able to tolerate it if it was much of an issue.

I tend to overthink and overbuy everything. Thankfully this time I decided to start with the basics and work up from there. For the cost of a Pinbox, I can get quite a few other things that'll do more good. In my case, I bought a smoker lol.
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #8

It is interesting to read all the replies, and the stated experience with "chucking".

After only a trip home from the dealer with ours (90 miles of not so good roads), I didn't feel anything with the Andersen. Could it be that a lower cost hitch solution eliminates all of the issues that the higher cost solutions create? I'll wait until we have more miles under our belt, but I do believe that the Andersen is a win win!
Old 03-03-2016, 07:06 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I installed Lippert Centerpoint Air Ride Suspension on my 5th wheel. $1250 from Tweety's. Greatly improved the ride of the 5th wheel. Easy install.
http://tweetys.com/center-point-susp...uble-axle.aspx

I also have a Demco Glide Ride pin box. The ride in the truck is nice.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
It is interesting to read all the replies, and the stated experience with "chucking".

After only a trip home from the dealer with ours (90 miles of not so good roads), I didn't feel anything with the Andersen. Could it be that a lower cost hitch solution eliminates all of the issues that the higher cost solutions create? I'll wait until we have more miles under our belt, but I do believe that the Andersen is a win win!
Oh you mean like this gentleman stated: See link attached.

Forget what I said about Andersen hitch
Old 03-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Oh you mean like this gentleman stated: See link attached.

Forget what I said about Andersen hitch

I don't see how that is relevant to my comment, as it could happen with any non sliding hitch in a short bed truck.

Backed in my steep driveway off of a narrow two lane road in one shot with quite a surprise....... My glass didn't break and the cap of the camper wasn't damaged. It's amazing how it all works out when you have the right hitch and bed for your application.... Right?
Old 03-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #12

That gel coat crunch on the trailer is an easy fix at a fiberglass repair shop...try a boat repair place.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post

Or maybe you just have a single data point. There is no evidence that the 'higher cost solutions' cause problems is there? I've owned five different fifth wheels over 25+ years and only had towing issues with one. All had standard pin boxes and I have used basic fifth wheel hitches. On the one that didn't tow very smoothly, I opted for the Mor/ryde IS suspension and didn't change the hitch or pin box. It is true that since the Andersen is a ball connection it doesn't have the slop that a conventional hitch has, so definitely the ride will be smoother when accelerating or braking. Otherwise, both truck and trailer will pull and bounce each other with the same forces as any conventional hitch. I couldn't begin to count the number of times I have backed up with short bed trucks since 1989 and never had a problem. Also, back then there were no sliding hitches or curved front caps or other tricks to avoid damage, it is all about paying attention and knowing how to deal with a limited jack-knife angle. Maybe you can provide a better report in 1-2 yrs or 10-20k miles of towing.
dayle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #14

5th Wheel Pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
Or maybe you just have a single data point.
Well... I did say that I had only pulled my current trailer 90 miles.

Quote:
There is no evidence that the 'higher cost solutions' cause problems is there?
I can't say for sure, but there are lots of folks on here that either currently have "chucking" or have spent allot of money to get rid of it. In each and (from what I can gather) every case the solution involves some higher cost hitch setup to begin with but ultimately is "resolved" by spending more money. The whole reason for my initial comment was that I found this interesting.

What I find even more interesting is that ANYTIME the **A** word is mentioned or suggested around here, it is immediately shunned by folks who have never used it. This thread is a perfect example. I posted my thoughts on my setup, after reading everyone say how much they loved their high dollar pin box upgrades and (in most cases) would never be without them again. The response that I got was someone slinging mud on the **A** word that has most likely never even tried it. Then again, it is easy to see that the linked thread had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that a $399 hitch could eliminate the chucking that most of the previous responses had addressed with $x,xxx pin boxes and hitches.

Quote:
It is true that since the Andersen is a ball connection it doesn't have the slop that a conventional hitch has, so definitely the ride will be smoother when accelerating or braking. Otherwise, both truck and trailer will pull and bounce each other with the same forces as any conventional hitch.
Now I am no scientific rocket, but you may have just answered your own question (that I have quoted up above). If the higher cost hitch solutions inherently have the slop that you are referring to, then wouldn't they be the source of the problems?

Quote:
I couldn't begin to count the number of times I have backed up with short bed trucks since 1989 and never had a problem.
Good for you... it shows that you have common sense and wont show up as an irrelevant linked "data point" from "jimcumminsw" in future discussions! I would never tow a fifth wheel with a short bed truck.... A Duramax has no place in a short bed vehicle (Joke).

Quote:
Maybe you can provide a better report in 1-2 yrs or 10-20k miles of towing.
I plan to update as time goes on. My updates will be based off of actual usage, unlike most of the Andersen reviews on irv.

Tags
5th wheel