Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #1

Question 5th wheel receiver

I hope someone can help. I have a 2001 Forest River Spinnaker 5th wheel with a receiver on the back. It looks to have large bolts holding it on but since the bottom is sealed I don't know how HD it is. I want to attach a swivel trailer on it with my Harley on which will put around 400 - 500 lbs weight on it. It also has a 7 pin plug so maybe it's HD enough to hold the weight.

Does anyone know what the specs are for this receiver?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #2

KZ RV Club
Contact Forest River and see if it was an available option in 2001.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
It looks to have large bolts holding it on but since the bottom is sealed I don't know how HD it is. ...Does anyone know what the specs are for this receiver?
I've never heard of a factory option for a receiver hitch on the back of a 5er. So I'll bet it is a custom hitch that was added by the PO.

To add the receiver, he had to move the sealed covering away from where the hitch is bolted to the frame of the 5er. And on mine, the welder had to add a lot of junk iron to the back of the trailer frame to extended it back to near the rear bumper, and to cross-brace it so the receiver couldn't move sideways.

If the receiver is a commercial product, then it will be stamped or embossed with the weight limits. But mine was home-made from scratch so it didn't include any weight info. And even if it did, those weights would apply only if the receiver frame was bolted to the factory frame of the trailer, and not to some extra homemade frame added to back of the factory frame.

So if your receiver is not a Reese or other major name receiver bolted directly to the trailer frame, then you'll have to judge how much weight it can handle. If you don't have a clue, then any good welding shop can probably look at it and give you a fair estimate of the weight limits.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

I am surprised 'SmokeyWren' has never heard of a factory option. My 5th had the option which I did purchase. So did several brands I was looking at before purchase of my Nuwa.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gone camping View Post
Contact Forest River and see if it was an available option in 2001.
Also ask them if you can tow/carry anything in the back of the FR...and if so, how much.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
yes, check with the factory. some hitches are put on only to hold a bicycle carrier so it may not be connected very strongly.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #7

Thanks all. I tried to contact Forest River with no luck. Smokey's idea of looking for a hitch make is a good one. I don't see where the belly was ever cut and the hitch has 3/4 inch or larger bolts on each side. It also has a 7 pin plug so someone must have at least towed a trailer with it.

I guess the only safe thing to do is open it up and look. I was really hoping someone had one so I didn't have to mess with the belly. Thanks for all your help.
Bill