Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
5th wheel RV

Need some advice on 5th wheel made by Palomino , Saber 31 Rets , 35 ft , 3 slides , is this a good 5th wheel RV?
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
After Thor bought them I wonder. A salesman for Air Stream aThors brands said since they bought Air Stream that after 2 years quality started dropping. Why he told me that I wasn't there to buy a Air Stream I guess.

Thor owns Forest River owns Palomino(do a search on Forest River).
Sabers are nice looking units before we bough we look at some in Nac TX!
I was worried about the frame! We live full time frame really matters.

No RV MFG is perfect most aren't close enough to tell you the truth, so do your home work. You started good asking questions.
IM sure RVER'S that own Thor products might disagree and I don't blame them if they do.
http://www.thorindustries.com/corp/r...ional-vehicles

Are you full timing or camping time? Good luck.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #3

I don't believe Thor owns Forest River. Their website says "Berkshire Hathaway" owns them. I'm not familiar with Palomino but have friends with Forest River Cedar Creek and another with a FR Blue Ridge and both are pleased with their rigs..........
Old 07-17-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
5th wheel RV

I'm going to live in the 5th wheel full-time , that's why I need to know about the palomino Saber line , the Laredo is similar , we are looking at Open Range to, any advice would be appreciated.
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I'd only say that, for full-time living, you'd be much better served looking at a gently used, well maintained true full-time 5th wheel rather than any of the new (I assume) units you've mentioned for roughly the same money. Having said that, because of its more substantial construction and higher content, a true full-time 5th wheel is going to be HEAVY, so if you're not just going to park it in one spot, you're looking at a 1 ton DRW truck minimum for most full-time 5th wheels except for a few "shorties".

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Has anyone heard of Grand Design Solitude Fifth Wheel Trailer, if so what have you heard? Good or Bad.
Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
I'm going to live in the 5th wheel full-time , that's why I need to know about the palomino Saber line , the Laredo is similar , we are looking at Open Range to, any advice would be appreciated.
clc530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #7

I would look at a used NuWa 1st. They will be built more solid then the trailers you mentioned. For full time living a solid trailer is better then a 'lite' trailer like the Open Range. A used NuWa trailer should be less $$$ than a new Sabre or Open Range.

Other used trailers that are good for full time use are Carriage, DRV, and Excel.

If you look at those trailers used you will see an difference in build quality and how solid they are.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
I looked at them prior to buying my new fiver on 7/3/13, the welds did not go more than halfway up the frame, not sure if it was just the batch I looked at but the salesman had no clue as to why.

You save a lot of money both in the used market and the new market buying a Palomino but I don't think for full-time living I would go for it. The Montana I bought was supposedly built for full-time duty, larger frame (not as big as others designed for full-time? not sure) 3 inch walls, extra insulation in the roof, Goodyear G rated tires, MorRyde fifth wheel hitch and suspension etc..

Depending on your budget of course but it's worth the extra money for the peace of mind.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would look at a used NuWa 1st. They will be built more solid then the trailers you mentioned. For full time living a solid trailer is better then a 'lite' trailer like the Open Range. A used NuWa trailer should be less $$$ than a new Sabre or Open Range.

Other used trailers that are good for full time use are Carriage, DRV, and Excel.

If you look at those trailers used you will see an difference in build quality and how solid they are.

Good luck
I totally agree. IMHO I would buy a 10 year old solidly built rig before buying a new low end or middle-of-the-road rig.

Another brand to look at is Arctic Fox by Northwoods Manufacturing.

Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Don't be confused about the difference between a Full-Time unit and a Four Season RV. Four Season simply mean you can "use" it in any of four seasons. A "Full Time" unit means it is engineered and build for the rigors of full time living and is warrented for such.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
I guess no has heard of this 5th wheel or do not want to answer. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by clc530 View Post
Has anyone heard of Grand Design Solitude Fifth Wheel Trailer, if so what have you heard? Good or Bad.
Charles
clc530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

Berkshire Hathaway owners FR (on their site).
Old 07-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
That's a new one on me, had not heard of it till your post. I'll more than likely see on at the Hershey Show in September.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #14

Outside of seeing it online after you mentioned it, have never seen or heard of them.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote