Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Northmark, i think you have forgotten that 90% of the appliances and stuff come from one or two manufacturers. It is how it is assembled that makes up most of the price differences.
I too am a fan of Forest River products. We have owned our Cedar Creek for over nine years. In that time I can count on one hand the number of issues we have had with it. And most of those issues have either been caused by me or normal wear and tear items. Have a couple of projects for this winter and it will be back in top shape again.
There is probably only one other brand I would consider if we were shopping new again. And that is Arctic Fox by Northwood Mfg. They are still privately owned, make their own frames and have a stellar reputation.
I am aware of the sources. My point is that some things lead to others that end up with a lot more complex unit. A simple example is using an electric only refrigerator requires a heavy duty inverter and large battery bank that a dual fuel propane/electric does not. Anyone who has any experience in reliability engineering quickly learns that more complex systems have more ways to fail and more chance of failure. And yes, I understand the dual fuel has more points of failure, the add on is the inverter. I do not have an inverter in my MH because the TV is 12 V and the stove and furnace are already propane. ;-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

We absolutely love our Rockwood! Even more so we are Forest River Owners for life - for good reason. A decent product at a fair price backed by a corporation that really seems to care (YMMV with a LOCAL dealer though)

Every year, Forest River puts on a Rally at they home base in Goshen IN and, for the price of the Rally (which includes food, camping and entertainment) they will fix ANYTHING on your rig - in or out of warranty for *free* - YES anything - I saw them take a unit to the plant and replace a roof...another unit cad the complete side frame replaced!

we had bent our steps (self inflicted) on the way to the rally and FR said no problem and pulled off the steps and replaced them with a new upgraded design.

So yeah we are sorta Forest River fans
Like HSVBamaBob We are Forest River converts and now fans. We also have the 2014 8289WS diamond pkg and love it. We have about 4000 miles on the camper now with no complaints. I replaced a bad gear pack on one of the slides, FR sent the parts, and a dent on the front cap from lack of support under the cap, styrofoam fix. Had a Keystone Cougar 5er prior to the Rockwood, bought that one used and had no trouble with it. We fell in love with the floor plan of the Rockwood so we sold the Cougar and ordered the Rockwood and never looked back.

PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #18

I have a Cardinal 30-30 l have had very few issues with it. Then there are others rh
at have had big problems. CARDIN
Old 09-12-2014, 09:22 PM   #19

Well that went out before l finished. Most of the mass produced ones use the same parts . They are usually Lippert just depends on who puts it together . We have a Club forum you can get on and find many happy owners. All have had problems to a varying degree but that is the nature of the beast. Forest river is very helpful and will work with you. Whatever you decide to buy get a pelimanary inspection form and go through it and take your time. Do not take it unless it is sll in woking ord. The dealer will hsve whatever is wrong fixed super fast if you refuse to sign the dotted line until it is right
Old 09-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #20

In our Teton it is about 50-50 on rv junk. Hot water heater, ac/heatpump, etc. But we have Delta faucets, GE dish washer, LG washer, Whirlpool dryer, residential light switches/dimmers, Residential fridge, our drawers are latched for travel but not with those cheap breakable latches. It is built into the guides. Trouble free. Trying to show you there is units out there that are better. But I will agree with all, there is too much rv junk in rvs and nothing to replace with of quality.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #21

Well it is what you can afford and most people can't go much over 55000. When you look at thousands of trls on the road most people are happy with what they have.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #22

Investigated a lot of different ones before choosing the Lifestyle. It came down to the Lifestyle and the DRV. Of course everyone that has looked hard for an RV has their opinion as to which is better.
drillking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #23

Very nice fiver you picked.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #24
GBS

Most of the points have been made. There is no single source, all you can do is troll forums for opinions on a given brand/model.
For us, the decision came down to warranty and how comprehensive it was. We figured if the manufacturer was going to stand behind it longer than most, the quality of work was likely better than most.....
Haven't been disappointed in our Jayco, based on that.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by presley01 View Post
Like HSVBamaBob We are Forest River converts and now fans. We also have the 2014 8289WS diamond pkg and love it. We have about 4000 miles on the camper now with no complaints. I replaced a bad gear pack on one of the slides, FR sent the parts, and a dent on the front cap from lack of support under the cap, styrofoam fix. Had a Keystone Cougar 5er prior to the Rockwood, bought that one used and had no trouble with it. We fell in love with the floor plan of the Rockwood so we sold the Cougar and ordered the Rockwood and never looked back.
I agree - for the money and if you have a 3/4 ton or a beefy 1/2 ton (like we do) the 8289WS Rockwood is a HUGE Bang for the buck and the (mid 2014-on) floorplan is absolutely nailed-it Killer! We have folks walk into our 5er and look around and say "this is a 32' unit? OMG it is HUGE!"

One thing I did learn at Goshen is that FR makes a FINE 5er! The Cardinals, Cedar Creeks and Wildcats are all popular and have very loyal devotees (as does the Rockwoods)

What with the corporate support, your ONLY weak link will be your dealer - and IMHO the relationship with your dealer better be like a marriage or long-standing friendship because without a ethicah decent dealer who is willing to advocate you and not quibble over repairs (Hell! they get paid to do them during warranty!) is priceless! Choose your dealer wisely, or you will be making annual trips to Goshen for your maintenance

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #26

Rockwoods are nice but the really low cargo capacities are a killer for most. They would make a nice weekender unit.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
The Rockwood 5ers are light weight, but only 43 gallon fresh tank and low cargo might make it more of a shorter trip rig. I was surprised at that 8289WS Rockwood floorplan. All 4 floorplans for the Rockwoods were within my Tundra's limits, but not sure Tundra's are 5er haulers.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeemery View Post
We purchased a new 36' 2011 Coleman Signature by Dutchman in June of 2010 and have had nothing but trouble. This begs the question ... where can I find reliability data on different 5th wheel products? Is there a well built sturdy 5th wheel out there? From the comments I've heard over the last 3 years I'm beginning to wonder. I'm not shelling out $50 for a so called "comparison guide" because they appears to be an advertisement for different manufactures. Does anyone collect and report actual customer reported data?? I looked at Consumer Reports, but I want actual customer comments. Thank you.
Google "RV Consumer Group" and "JR Consumer Resources." Both claim to be totally independent, and I believe they are. I have both of them. They are similar in their evaluation of most RVs out there, and RV Consumer Group rates thousands of units going back over 10 years. I'm sure they're not perfect, but just to get a feel for what's out there and to peel back the ad copy that's distributed by the manufacturers is money well spent, IMHO.

Tags
5th wheel