Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
The Rockwood 5ers are light weight, but only 43 gallon fresh tank and low cargo might make it more of a shorter trip rig. I was surprised at that 8289WS Rockwood floorplan. All 4 floorplans for the Rockwoods were within my Tundra's limits, but not sure Tundra's are 5er haulers.
My Tundra hauls our 2114 8289WS just fine, been doing that since 12/13 when we bought the 5er. Prior to the Rockwood we hauled a Keystone Cougar 5er that maxed out at 10.3K, hauled that one all over the Rockies and the Cascades. Have air bags and E rated tires on the Tundra. Probably have over 20k miles towing with the 08 Tundra, still doing a great job.

PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #30

check out the grand design, I purchased the RLS 303 and it is built very well and options are all included

Old 09-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #31

I have a FR Wildcat 2006 and have put 25,000 miles towing it. For a low priced 5th wheel it has held up very well. Very few repairs and would not hesitate to buy another. I do believe that the newer fifth wheels are not as well made as the older ones. Just seems no one is happy with their new 5th wheel.
Maybe people expect to much out of a traveling apartment. The roads beat the crap out of the tow vehicle and campers and if you don't take it easy with them they are not going to last long.
Also make sure you buy a tow vehicle that is made to tow your 5th wheel. Don't buy a 1/2 ton Tundra, Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Nissan etc... they are not made to tow a fifth wheel. just because they can doesn't mean they should!! I have been on the road as of today for over 100 days and have seen suv's, 1/2 tons etc pulling campers into the campground and believe me, not one of them would say it is wrong. But they haven't done their homework. Please make sure you do!!
Again I do like the FR!!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:58 PM   #32

Smile

For the past 5 1/2 years the Tundra has served us well towing our 5ers. Bought it new and now have 70K on the clock and still on the original brake pads / rotors. I did replace the brake shoes on the old Cougar we had about a year before selling it. Been to and through the Rockies several times and into the Cascades of Washington state, the tundra is a solid pull and stop. The Tundra has long been paid for, I see no reason to sell / trade till it is worn out and I don't see that happening any time soon. I expect three or four more good years of service out of this truck. Now all that being said if anyone wants to donate a nice brand new 1 ton truck I "MIGHT" take them up on it, I hate payments.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #33

All I can suggest is don't buy a Dutchman Infinity.
We bought a 2013 and it's a piece of crap. Have a list of 11 items to be repaired or replaced. Glad we got the extended warranty. Had 3 5th wheels before this one and never had problems. Our Montana was the best we owned.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:40 AM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
We had a 28 foot Coachmen Catalina that was a problem unit. The window in the unit fell out, the AC unit had to be replaced and the slideout was a problem too. By the time we sold it we had all of the issues resolved. What a pain! Never would buy a Coachmen again due to this bad unit.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #35

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You can always do bing or google searchs on consumer reviews.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:59 PM   #36

Buy an old classic Alpenlite and rebuild it. $5 to 10,000 My 94 27sl has 73,000 miles on it 4,000 miles of dirt roads. Not fancy like the new ones but still air tight and never had an axle tire or frame problem. 20 years and still happy.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #37

It depends on your price point I guess. DRV would be my first choice but its a high price tag. For a more mainstream price tag you could consider Jayco. I pulled a 40 foot designer series about 150,000 miles with nary a problem and Jayco, by all accounts, listens to their customers. I certainly would buy another if that was my price point and I was very satisfied with both their build quality and customer service. Their Customer service, when I had their product, could not have been better.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 10-20-2014, 02:49 PM   #38

Sounds like every brand has bad reviews.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Sounds like every brand has bad reviews.
With the internet giving everyone access to information it's pretty easy to go to any forum and find out what's good or bad. I have yet to go to any forum and not see some issues. I don't read forums for DRV or Excel as they're way out of my league. But almost every brand has a forum and like all forums people post about problems. So, yes they all have bad reviews. Doesn't mean that all brand X trailers are bad though, it just means that every brand will have it's problem child.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #40

We just purchased our 2nd 5th wheel and our 1st brand new 5th Wheel, a 2015 Heartland Sundance 278TS. After the dealer walk through and prepping to depart, the salesman handed me a set of keys. One for the door and one for the storage compartments. However when I checked all the doors to be locked prior to leaving the front storage compartment lock did not match either of the keys provided by Heartland. The dealer scrambled to find another key to fit that lock. The battery box top was very loosely held in place only by the vent hose and literally resting on top of the battery cables. There was not a cut out for the battery cables or a strap to connect the top to the bottom of the plastic battery case. After getting home, we were loading the 5th wheel prepping for a trip when we noticed the molding facial on the inside slide was attached allowing bare plywood exposure and an eye sore. Returning to Camping World they did the warranty work to correct however it took almost a week. This took away from the buying new experience and I would absolutely examine closely any product you buy from Heartland. I did contact the Heartland and they were regretful but I would encourage you to look once then again to check and re-check for cosmetic and mechanical production failures before you leave the dealer.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #41
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I hope it all works out well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackleyrj View Post
We just purchased our 2nd 5th wheel and our 1st brand new 5th Wheel, a 2015 Heartland Sundance 278TS. After the dealer walk through and prepping to depart, the salesman handed me a set of keys. One for the door and one for the storage compartments. However when I checked all the doors to be locked prior to leaving the front storage compartment lock did not match either of the keys provided by Heartland. The dealer scrambled to find another key to fit that lock. The battery box top was very loosely held in place only by the vent hose and literally resting on top of the battery cables. There was not a cut out for the battery cables or a strap to connect the top to the bottom of the plastic battery case. After getting home, we were loading the 5th wheel prepping for a trip when we noticed the molding facial on the inside slide was attached allowing bare plywood exposure and an eye sore. Returning to Camping World they did the warranty work to correct however it took almost a week. This took away from the buying new experience and I would absolutely examine closely any product you buy from Heartland. I did contact the Heartland and they were regretful but I would encourage you to look once then again to check and re-check for cosmetic and mechanical production failures before you leave the dealer.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 PM   #42

I'm in the market as well for a 5th wheel. I have been looking at some privately owned trailers in my area. I made a special trip about 1.5 hrs from the house to look at a 2005 forest RIver Cedar Creek after looking at a couple of different Montanas. The info passed around on this thread made me curious. The quality and condition of the Cedar Creek didn't hold a candle to the Montanas. Now before everyone jumps down my throat, I understand that some of the problems were associated to the care and neglect of the owner. The left fender trim skirt had fallen off, the entry steps were either broken loose on one side or a bolt had fallen out so they tilted horribly to one side when I was walking in. The ceiling panels during construction were joined together and covered with trim that was separating from the ceiling in many spots. The under trailer insulation was loose, there was a bracket hanging out near a wheel well. I wasn't sure if it was a support bracket for the missing wheel well trim or not. I felt like I was visiting someone with a neglected dog and I felt sorry for it. Is there an ASPCA for trailers???? I wasn't ready to be the night in shiny armor so I passed his problems back to him and left before diving deeper into my inspection. Now it was obvious he didn't take care of his stuff but if built better maybe some of the problems wouldn't of happened. I don't think the trim falling loose between the ceiling panels was his fault. In the trailers defense maybe he boondocked a lot and scraped on some high spots. Don't know. I'm going back to the 2003 32 ft Montana with A bed room and living room slide out and firm up my deal at $ 12,000.00 including the 5th wheel hitch. So far the visual checks out , but now its time to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Hopefully I will prevent any major surprises.

Tags
5th wheel