Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #1

We bought our Presidential Suite in March of 08 and since then we have a problem with the large slide (dinette, sofa). This was the 4th time the shaft pin between the two drives has sheared off so that we could not bring the slide in. The dealers service departments have told us that the pins are not strong enough to bring the slide in and they shear off. We have lubricated the slide tubes and still have a problem.

We travel extensively and have been stuck in New Orleans, North Dakota, New Jersey and Minnesota not being able to get the slide in. We are concerned that when March comes we will still be having this problem after the warrantee is up.

Has anyone else had a problem with the model and what have you done about it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #2

We bought our Presidential Suite in March of 08 and since then we have a problem with the large slide (dinette, sofa). This was the 4th time the shaft pin between the two drives has sheared off so that we could not bring the slide in. The dealers service departments have told us that the pins are not strong enough to bring the slide in and they shear off. We have lubricated the slide tubes and still have a problem.

We travel extensively and have been stuck in New Orleans, North Dakota, New Jersey and Minnesota not being able to get the slide in. We are concerned that when March comes we will still be having this problem after the warrantee is up.

Has anyone else had a problem with the model and what have you done about it?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #3

Shear pins are there for one and only one purpose. To shear before things break. If you are shearing pins at that rate, something is drastically wrong. Have you talked to Monaco, er Holiday Rambler about the situation? Since you travel full time, It might be worth a trip to the factory and give them the opportunity to fix it right. One last question, what sort of lube are you using?
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #4

What is the weight of the slide now as comparied to when it was new. Meaning is the slide carrying more weight as a result of fulltiming. It's been known to store items under the sofa and where we can at times. Wonder if the pin is shearing for that reason.

Inspect the slides hardware and alignment. After doing minor maintenance on my unit (Barker Mfg), it seems to take some abuse but can see where it would present problems because of the closeness between the rams and casing.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #5

Welcome, glad to hear from you. I have had 5, that's 5 major slide problems with an 06 37' SQK. Took it back from Al to the factory in Walkarusa, In. I was suppose to pick it up at 4Pm the day I dropped it off. When I pulled up to the area I saw sparks coming out from under the unit. No Pick-up today! They were cutting part of the slide off and welding a new part to the frame. Before I left they had to work on the dining room slide. This was in April and still under warranty. Two months later the dining slide stopped half-way out. Made arrangements with a small, but great dealership in Salorsburg,Pa tom fix the slide. To make a Loooong story short ( warranty now expired ) Hr would not give me the time of day. They blamed Lepord and Lepord (sp?) blamed HR. To maintain my sanity, I solved the problem. I swalloled several thousand dollars and traded for an EXCEL, Manf. by Petterson Industries. Very Happy and Monoco is out of Business. GOOD RIDANCE!!! Hoosier 32