Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #1

5th Wheel Slide toppers

Most of the fifth wheels we have been looking at do not come standard with slide toppers. I know you can order them and have the dealer put them on for an option.

However, I was looking for opinions on just getting without and buying directly from Carefree Colorado or A&E and doing a self install. Has anyone done that before? What challenges did you have?

Plenty of info out there on replacing existing slide topper fabric, but didn't find much on installing a completely brand new one.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

Had toppers on one RV then next two did not have them. Don't miss them at all!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:58 AM   #3

I have them on my current 5th wheel and its my 1st 5th wheel with them...I would never order a 5th wheel without them...I did not like have to clime on the roof of my previous 5th wheels and brush off debris every time I closed the slide...The slide toppers totally eliminate that problem for me...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
I have them on my current 5th wheel and its my 1st 5th wheel with them...I would never order a 5th wheel without them...I did not like have to clime on the roof of my previous 5th wheels and brush off debris every time I closed the slide...The slide toppers totally eliminate that problem for me...
Well when it's raining and there are needles and leaves on your toppers you will be rolling them up when retracting the slides unless you get up there and clean them off.

When I had them I felt the same way until I realized you will need to clean them off at times no matter. So after two rigs since having toppers it's not worth it to me. Eventually they will get torn that happened also.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #5

If you need a tally I give slide toppers a thumbs up.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #6

We are on our third 5er and all three have had slide toppers. I would not buy a 5er without them. In fact that is one of the reasons I passed on the Cedar Creek Silverback model and went with the higher price Cedar Creek model. The Silverback cannot have slide toppers installed do to the slide design. The Cedar Creek will allow you to have factory installed slide toppers with a metal cover when rolled up for added protection and to prevent fading similar to the awning.

When cleaning the slide topper when wet I will stand on the ground with a long handle broom and sweep off the wet needles and leaves where needed. Otherwise they are self-cleaning when dry.

They also provide a little heat relief from the sun since they trap an air layer between the slide roof and the bottom of the slide topper.

Jim
Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
I am also in agreement. Even though I do not presently own a 5th wheel, we have had 4 TT and all slides have always had the toppers. Has saved me many times having to climb the ladder and sweep off the slides. Also like has been said it blocks the sun and helps keep the slide interior cooler albeit maybe only a small amount but any help for the A/C is welcome!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #8

Mostly slide toppers are OK, especially in the summer. However, if you should get snow I've had the snow push down on the topper to the slide and prevent retraction of the slide. Now that is really a PITA! You didn't specify your RV. But if you should have a Cameo, or LIfestyle, the slides do not have a flange. They have a heavy rubber scrapper that just pushes any debri over the edge, including snow. The other negative is if you should have some heavy winds with the slides out. The toppers can catch the wind and make a lot of noise. Never had the wind tear one though.

So, if your usage is only summer like conditions, the toppers would be a positive.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

slide toppers

For me it is no issue to sweep the slides if needed and their are 4 less pieces of canvas that will tear. In my opion and in talking to many camping buddies I don't see the need.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:23 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
I just went through this exorcise. Read threads on all the RV forums dating back years on the subject. I found about 80/20 in favor. The negatives were usually wind flapping. The first kind is from guys like a friend of mine from NC who always camps on the south east coast. Wind and storms come up in a matter of minutes where he usually camps and he's seen a ton of rigs with their toppers torn off. The second is guys who camp in less than windy areas but never tighten their toppers up after the do their initial stretch in. There is an acceptable number of turns you can give them based on model and size. Most people have them installed and figure it's a set it and forget it deal. In actuality, once they have stretched in you need to tighten them up until there is no issue with wind.

All this said, I'm installing Dometic Elite FC toppers on my three slides next week. The benefits outweigh the negatives for me. YMMV.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #11

Evergreen Owners Club
taken---- agree with you 100%
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #12

Has anyone done an install of their own slide toppers since most fifth wheels come without them from the manufacturer?
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 PM   #13

I did remove one of the slide toppers to reglue a seal across the top of one of our slides. Installing doesn't look like a big deal but I never did a full install of a topper.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #14

Slide toppers are very easy to install if you have a couple of tall ladders and even better if you have another person to help. They're available on Amazon.com, too.

We're weekend campers, and I'm going to invest in a second a/c unit first. We'll eventually get the toppers. $2K at our selling dealer is just a little too expensive (4 slides.)
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, slide