Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

5th wheel step cracking

I did a search for this but didn't find anything on repairing 5th wheel steps. We have a 1995 Nomad 27' Mid Profile with three steps on it. On the left side of the step where thr bolt come thru the floor to hold the step it is cracking and tearing. There are only tow (2) bolts holding it in place. Those are at the front of the steps. The rear of the steps are welded to the frame. I could weld this area but do not relish the thought of welding that close to the coach. Even if I cut he back welds on the steps and remaove them when re installing them I run the risk of fire when welding them back on. Has anyone repaired theirs and if so how did you manage it. I have welders at my displosal but my heitation for welding causing fire make me think i need to find another way to fix the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Roger.
hamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

If you are lucky enought not have this happen to you trailler, good for you. I finally figured out how to fix it without cutting the steps off and rewelding. I used a metal cutting core bit to drill the threshold center over the bolt. I used a dremel tool to cut the bolt off flush with the botton of the trailer. They used a carrige bolt into the wood floor of the trailer. I naturally just spun with a wrench on it. After removing a carpet - threshold protector I oulled the carpet out from under the threshold. There is about 5/8" between the threshold and floor. I took a floor jack and placed it under the step and jacked it up to flush with the torn angel of the step. I got a piece of 1/4" galvanized perforated angel and placed it outward of the step and inserted a Stainless Steel 3/8" bolt with 2 stainless 1/8" fender washers on top. On the bottom I used Stainless locking nut and Stainless Fender washers. I had to square off one side of the washer to make enough room for it to fit. I put 3 1/2" X 3/4" Stainless bolts into the steps and tightened. I then tightened the bolt thru the floor. It is now sturdier that new. I took a oiece of aluminum and bent it in the shape of a small channel and put it under the threshold above the bolt. I mixed up some JB Weld and put it in the bolt hole over the aluminum channel. I have to wait for the JB to dry and then I will file and grind it smooth. Put the carpet back in and vacuum and be done. Just my little fix for a bad step.
Why the used a carrige bolt instead of a regular bolt is a mystery. Thanks for looling.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

Well after all that I find that the "plywood box" that the step is attached to is getting weak. So instead of teraing that apart and rebuilding it, I am making an adjustable step support for it. I know that you can buy them but due to the fact that I am no longer working and on SSI I have to budget more now than ever. I have an old Apache camper sitting around with the adjustable jacks on the corners. I will remove them and mount them to the sides of the stps and so the swing up and pin out of the way for travel. I will post pictures of this when it is done. You would think that someone that engineers these units would think ahead to the years down the road when things start to fatigue and wear.
We pay alot of money for the units we buy and they should last more than 15- 20 yrs.. I knew that when I bought this one it would be the last one I would buy. It was supposidly built well and would last a good long time.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
good deal. looks like you figured out a workable solution. I'll keep this in mind if mine ever starts cracking.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote