Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 AM   #15

Virtually all of the information in this thread thus far regarding ST tires is incorrect. ST tires are designed for trailer use and have stiffer sidewalls than LT tires, not more flexible, and they are not all 'China bombs' (although there definitely are brands to avoid.) It is also not true that any consumer LT tire is somehow better for trailer use than any ST tire, although that is a common Internet meme.

To answer the OP, I would recommend the Maxxis M8008 10-ply ST tire or a commercial LT tire that is manufacturer-approved for trailer use such as the Michelin XPS rib. Both of these tires have an excellent service record.

It's an unfortunate truth in the industry that many OEM manufacturers use the cheapest tires they can find and run them at the maximum possible load which frequently leads to problems, but that issue is not founded on ST tires per se, rather the use of cheap and/or marginally-rated tires. It is also true that in the current market there are more poor choices in ST tires than good ones, but the answer to that is to use one of the good ones, not substitute a tire that is not intended for trailer use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #16

Here again those with ST tires have to change every 2-3 years, they are speed rated at 65. Those with LT run them 8ish years, speed rated 75-up. Goodyear marathon ST's used to be good tires. They are now made in China and have become "bombs". Install the Michelin XPS Rib tires and you will be a happy camper.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:55 AM   #17

name one that isn't Chinese made.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 04-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Here again those with ST tires have to change every 2-3 years, they are speed rated at 65. Those with LT run them 8ish years, speed rated 75-up. Goodyear marathon ST's used to be good tires. They are now made in China and have become "bombs". Install the Michelin XPS Rib tires and you will be a happy camper.
I disagree with some of your statments. This is the first time I have heard that ST tires have to be changed every 2-3 years - I don't believe you are correct. Also, based on my discussions with many people towing 5ers - in person and on forums - most replace their 5er tires, whether ST or LT, after 4 to 5 years.

Jim
Old 04-04-2014, 08:57 AM   #19

This is what my research shows. I do believe the issue is the speed rating of ST tires. i rarely see people towing below 65. They overheat them running 70-80. The LTs are speed rated higher.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 AM   #20

Tires are not a 'set and forget' situation--they need to be watched for odd wear and sidewall cracking. Some tires fair better than others, but there seems to be a consensus on the forums of a 5-year max lifespan. There also seems to be a consensus that Chinese tires are less reliable than US made tires. While ST tires are rated for 65mph, at the max inflation they should be able to handle higher than 65--how much and for how long is anyone's guess. Sometimes it is a crapshoot no matter what the brand, but keeping the psi at max rating, and having extra load capacity for the trailer will go a long way in extending the tire life.

I myself believe that RV tire failures are more a result of mfgs putting too low a capacity tire on their units, and by owners running underinflated.
As for the Chinese origins--I am running Cooper RM160s in 17.5" on my Suites and have over 30k/3yrs on them including a trip to Alaska, with only a sidewall puncture so far. These replaced a set of Michelin XTAs that suffered tread separations at 3 years, and Michelin would not offer any assistance--plus to replace the Michelins would have been $140/tire more than the Coopers. In my case, the Cooper/Chinese origin tires are wearing very well on my 17400lb fiver.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #21

I do believe your 17.5 tires are H rated also. Good deal. Problem is 16" E rated tires. Not much reliable in that size except Michelin XPS Rib. The vast majority of these are Chinese bombs. I, Monday, went to find a replacement tire for a failed Goodyear Marathon, two years old and could not find a quality tire in a 50 miles radius. Beaumont TX area. Special order only.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
In my case, the Cooper/Chinese origin tires are wearing very well on my 17400lb fiver.
Yes, the silly 'China Bomb' stuff will never die I guess. Some stuff made in China is junk and some is very good, just like in every other country. The issue is the individual quality and track record of the tire, not simply its country of origin.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
This is what my research shows. I do believe the issue is the speed rating of ST tires. i rarely see people towing below 65. They overheat them running 70-80. The LTs are speed rated higher.
The 65 mph rating for ST tires is correct.

Maybe you're going too fast to see people towing below 65. Or, should I say, at 65. We keep it at 65, and I see a lot of others towing at that speed, too. For one reason, the mpg of most tow vehicles suffers considerably above 65. And another reason is the safety factor. And still another reason is to smell the roses

Jim
Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverbob View Post
Hi,

I am looking to replace the LT 235/85R16 load range E tires on my 29' Alpenlite. I am looking for input on tire brands to consider and to stay away from. So far I have looked at Cooper and BF Goodrich.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
Back to the original post. It is only a 29 ft Alpenlite. 12 -14 thousand gvw? Not a 36ft house.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:48 PM   #25

If you live in it its your house. We actually do. Still say you need the Michelin XPS.
Why not put the best under your costly investment. Shredding tires usually do major damage to the camper.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #26

I am not sure at what point you can have too much tire under the trailer. My 17400 fiver has a tire carrying capacity or 19220. Subtracting the 4200 pin weight leaves 13200 on the tires. That gives me 6020 extra capacity, or 1505lbs/tire. Therein lies the secret of solving most tire problems, barring an actual defective tire.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #27

In a nutshell: brand name, domestically manufactured, higher weight rating than necessary, protect from sun and check tire pressure often.
They should last easily 4 -5 years with proper maintenance but if a tire sits with low pressure and weight on it only for a short while it is done.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:24 PM   #28

According to Carlisle tire and rubber on ST tire life says ;

-Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,regardless of mileage.
It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly one-third of a tire's strength is gone
After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread depth remaining.

After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases according to Carlisle Tire and Rubber.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <

Michelin says my BFG Commercial LT tires on my RV trailer are good for 7 years. Ran the first set for 55k+ miles and just over seven years. I'm now 45K into the second set and no issues.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, replace, replacement