Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
I have the stock wheels (aluminum) and the stock 235/85r 16 trailer king tires on my Montana 375. How do I tell if I can run a tire with 110 lbs? The current ones have an 80 psi max, and thats what I run them at.
Actually the wheel's maximum load capacity is set by it's manufacturer. That load capacity is the limiting factor.

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #44

Maxxis tires are priced right and I have had no problem with them.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew18 View Post
Maxxis tires are priced right and I have had no problem with them.
Yes, the Maxxis M8008 10-ply E-Range ST tire in particular (the size that is the closest match for the XPS rib and other premium tires) has an excellent service record and is attractively priced. It is another good choice in an ST tire, and perhaps the only one beside the XPS with a near-spotless service record on the forums. I ran a set of these and they performed very well, even wear and no problems. I'll also note that the Maxxis M8008 weighed 15 lbs. more per tire than the cheap OEM tires they were replacing, and had notably thicker sidewalls. Not all ST tires are the same.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #46

Quote:
Yes, the Maxxis M8008 10-ply E-Range ST tire in particular (the size that is the closest match for the XPS rib and other premium tires) has an excellent service record and is attractively priced. It is another good choice in an ST tire, and perhaps the only one beside the XPS with a near-spotless service record on the forums.
The Maxxis ST 8008 isn't even close to the XPS ribs in performance or reliability.
The XPS is a commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire vs the light weight Maxxis ST8008 poly carcass tire.

On RV.net we have over 20 Maxxis tire complaints from members which mirrors other trailering websites Maxxis complaints (not just RVs) around the net.

I would say the Maxxis ST 8008 is the best of the ST tires at this time but its still a ST tire.

Looks like this tread has risen from the dead.....
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:31 PM   #47

The very few issues I've seen with Maxxis tires all have to do with the lower load range models when used in marginal applications, which will cause problems with any tire, including Michelin or any other brand. I have seen zero failure reports for the load range E M8008 Maxxis, but if you have then please provide the link. And as long as we are comparing apples and oranges, there are also countless threads complaining about Michelin tires, although not the XPS. Point being, the model of the tire and the application matters, regardless of the brand. It's correct that the XPS is a true commercial tire and is in a different class than consumer models, but it also costs twice as much. My only point is that the E-rated Maxxis is a perfectly worthy and reliable contender at a much lower price. Beyond that, what anyone chooses is up to them.

I don't own a heavy trailer anymore so I don't really have a dog in this hunt, but still find the knee-jerk ST hater threads amusing. It's just a sport I guess.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #48

Myself I'm just looking ahead. I want to make sure I buy the right tires when that time comes. Theres already enough things to worry about when your full-timing, and not staying at on place longer than 4 days. We are definetly travelling. Ive already got 8 k on the Trailer kings that have a 2013 date stamp. Money is not the problem, its making sure all of us are safe, and the least amount of damage is done when we have a tire failure. I already only tow at 57-60 mph, just to not overheat the tires. Am I parinoid? Probably, but when I go to buy tires in the next 8 months or so, I want to make sure I don't make a $1500.00 mistake or more.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #49

I would never put a cheap tire on my camper. Don't understand people buying a 100.00 tire and put it on a $50,000-up camper.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #50

No one is talking about using cheap tires, we're just talking about the best tire for the money among quality brands.

If cost doesn't matter then it's hard to go wrong choosing the Michelin XPS rib. It may not be the most cost-effective choice but if money isn't an object then lack of cost-effectiveness doesn't matter.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #51

Well then I apologize for posting.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
Myself I'm just looking ahead. I want to make sure I buy the right tires when that time comes. Theres already enough things to worry about when your full-timing, and not staying at on place longer than 4 days. We are definetly travelling. Ive already got 8 k on the Trailer kings that have a 2013 date stamp. Money is not the problem, its making sure all of us are safe, and the least amount of damage is done when we have a tire failure. I already only tow at 57-60 mph, just to not overheat the tires. Am I parinoid? Probably, but when I go to buy tires in the next 8 months or so, I want to make sure I don't make a $1500.00 mistake or more.

Although your trailer has 7000# axles they most probably have been set at 6750# GAWR by Keystone. Keystone does that so they can put any of the ST235/80R16E tires on it without having to send a special request letter to NHTSA for a specific tire load capacity. That’s because the ST235/80R16E tires are manufactured in three different load capacities, 3420#, 3500# and 3520#, all at 80 psi and all identical in size and appearance. Whenever a single load capacity isn’t specified by a vehicle manufacturer all of the afore mentioned load capacities default to the lowest load capacity. Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to fit the 3420# tires to 7000# axles. When tire retailers follow tire industry replacement standards they are not allowed to do it either.
Don’t forget to look at some 17.5” options in the LRF & LRG categories. Many of them are made in the USA or Japan and are designed for low platform trailer service.

This one is a LRG --- https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_catalogs/trucktires/app?task=TruckTiresPC&subtask=ttDetail&ctry=USA&la nguage=en_us&modelID=28&partial=true

This one is a LRF --- http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/ry103

In this link you will find the Goodyear G114 trailer tire in size 215/75R17.5 LRG. --- http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pdf/resources/publications/Goodyear%20Commercial%20Trailer%20Tire%20Brochure. pdf

FastEagle
Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #53

Yes it is.

Bob
Old 11-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Is that the size of the original equipment tires described on your trailer's certification label?

FE
Yes, that is the size listed on the trailer's certification lable.

Bob
Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by carverbob View Post
Yes, that is the size listed on the trailer's certification lable.

Bob
Than you are 100% correct in searching for replacements of that size and load capacity.

Plus sizing that tire is difficult because there are no 16" LRF tires to go to, so the LRG becomes the tire of choice for plus sizing. It's almost always going to require new rims to meet the load capacity of the LRG tire.

FastEagle
Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #56

Thanks FE.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, replace, replacement