Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainec View Post
So what options do I have besides changing wheels?

If your RV is fine load wise with "E" tires run the "G" at 85psi. I did this on my Avion with excellent results. The rims were 80psi.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
If your RV is fine load wise with "E" tires run the "G" at 85psi. I did this on my Avion with excellent results. The rims were 80psi.
Seems a little crazy to run that under inflated.
mainec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Not necessarily... This is hard to see, but it's a load chart that indicates load ratings from 35-110 psi.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #18

Thanks - I just read on another forum that psi ratings on wheels are related directly to the valve stems. With that being said so if I put high pressure valve stems in my 80 psi wheels can I then run them at 110 psi?
Old 03-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Thanks - I just read on another forum that psi ratings on wheels are related directly to the valve stems. With that being said so if I put high pressure valve stems in my 80 psi wheels can I then run them at 110 psi?
Your wheels and stems need to be rated to 110psi or better, then yes.
You won't need all the load capacity of the G tire, but make sure the weak link is the tire, not the wheel.. Then run appropriate pressure for the load.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:21 PM   #20

First off let’s rule out any of the XPS Rib tires. None of them meet the minimum requirements of your axles, which I presume are rated at 6750#, as set by the trailer’s manufacturer. You can look on the certification label found on the LH forward external section of the trailer.

I looked at the “options” section of the 2016 Columbus models. None offer tire options. Without a recommendation from the manufacturer for replacement tires you’re going to effect portions of your trailer’s warranty. You should call to see what they are. It could be the entire suspension system.

Any of the steel cased tires such as the GY G614 RST will require new rims that meet the requirements of the tire. There is only one rim size for those tires, 16x6.5”. Steel valve stems and 110 PSI ratings for the valve stems and rims is required.

There are a lot of new ST tires out there mimicking the GY G614 tire. They are steel cased with the same requirements as the GY but much less expensive. Here are pictures I took of one at a recent RV show.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29711
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29709
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29710

That is a 75 MPH rated Westlake tire size ST235/85R16G.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:38 PM   #21

Mine came with Westlake and wheels are stamped for 110 lbs. I put G614's on mine last year and put over 14,000 miles on them in the last six month. It does give you good piece of mind having good tires..
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:36 PM   #22

The rims on my Voltage are stamped for 110 PSI. I run Michelin XPS Ribs for the past two years with no issues. They're a tire you can pretty much forget about. BTW, the Ribs are a commercial truck tire that are also rated for trailers.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
The rims on my Voltage are stamped for 110 PSI. I run Michelin XPS Ribs for the past two years with no issues. They're a tire you can pretty much forget about. BTW, the Ribs are a commercial truck tire that are also rated for trailers.

XPS Ribs are good tires

BUT not for OPs 5th wheel

Your trailer has 3 axles (6 tires) so you can run XPS Ribs with a 3042#/tire load rating (capacity of 18,252#)

OPs 5vr has 2 axles (4 tires) and OEM tires are 3520#/tire (14,080 capacity)
Axle weight could be as high as 13,000#------4 Ribs would 12,168#
NOT enough tire.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:59 AM   #24

Quote:
NO it does not. There are charts for every tire out there. The lowest number GY lists for their "G" tire is 85psi.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 08:30 AM   #25

I really appreciate everyone's feedback. So if I understand right I am going to go forward with the Goodyears. When they pull the Westlake tires off I will check the wheels and see if they are 110 psi. If so then we are good. If not then I am going to run the Goodyears at 85 psi.

Thoughts????
Old 03-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #26

Food: The definition for underinflated for original equipment tires is any cold inflation pressure less than the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations found on the tire placard.

For replacement tires, underinflated is when the cold inflation pressure is not high enough to provide the load capacity the OE tires provided.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #27

Quote:
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. So if I understand right I am going to go forward with the Goodyears. When they pull the Westlake tires off I will check the wheels and see if they are 110 psi. If so then we are good. If not then I am going to run the Goodyears at 85 psi.

Thoughts????
Not the best idea for several reasons. IMO the biggest issue is internal ply shear issues with derating (low pressures) a heavy tire on a close spaced axle vehicle such as a RV trailer.
Read this from our resident tire engineer... Tireman9. Check out the rest of his tire safety blog on tires for trailers.
RV Tire Safety: "Interply Shear" and other Techno Babble..

And if you decide to go ahead and derate the G614 to those low pressures read this from ;

rvsafety.com

Tire Load and Inflation Ratings

Note: Towable – Travel Trailer/ 5th Wheel owners Due to the severe use conditions experienced by tires when axles are very close together – tire industry experts recommend maximum (sidewall) inflation pressure for towable tires unless this causes a sever over-inflation situation (20psi+), often referred to as the ‘basketball effect’. If this is your situation allow a 10 – 15psi safety margin above the minimum required inflation pressure.
.................................................. ......................................

And finally this from Goodyear RV website on pressure for tires on a trailer;Weighing your RV - Goodyear RV

Goodyear Tire and Rubber .... weighing RVs
Special Considerations

Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:54 AM   #28

Well I am stuck then. I am going to take a tire off when I get the FW back today and if it's not stamped 110 psi then I guess I will just leave my stock tires on. I guess I can't do anything until I know that info.

Tags
5th wheel, tires